INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote refuses to connect to MC 20.0.87 and crashes  (Read 1682 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
JRemote refuses to connect to MC 20.0.87 and crashes
« on: April 04, 2015, 02:10:34 pm »

Since I installed MC 20.0.87, JRemote sees my library, but when I select music to play, it will only play it on the tiny speaker in the Mac Mini, even though I have my Bel Canto renderer selected in MC20. JRemote also doesn't see the music I have selected in MC20, but is playing different music than is showing in MC20. If I press play in MC20, it will play on the renderer. Even once it is playing, JRemote cannot control the music in any way and just crashed when I pressed Pause.  :(

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote refuses to connect to MC 20.0.87 and crashes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:35:29 am »

Might be wrong about this, but if you are hearing it through the mac mini, you are streaming to it (or you have two zones linked). Choose the bel canto zone in JRemote. It shouldn't matter what zone you choose in MC20 - thats for when you are controlling it directly from the PC.

You might want to reboot JRemote (you know via the double click and sliding the program up). Then reload the server.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 02:24:38 pm »

Arindelle, you da man! Nobody told me I had to select the renderer in both JRiver and JRemote! The renderer manual only said to choose the renderer as player in JRiver, but not in JRemote. I never changed it manually from the Zones list - I suspect it may have done this itself during one of the MC20 crashes. And I must say, at the risk of being politically incorrect and with the intention of giving constructive feedback, that it is not best practices in GUI design to call the same item/function "Now Playing" in JRiver and "Zones" in JRemote. They should both have the same name if in fact they have the same function. (If I am wrong about them having the same function, even in part, let me know.) It is also best to put them in the same place on the display, at least approximately, whereas Now Playing is at the upper left and Zones is at the lower left.

You have made my day! Happy Easter, Passover or whatever suits you! ;D :D ;D

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:31:51 pm »

Hey thanks for getting back! That's getting rare around here. Glad it's sorted for you. :)

Oh by the way its actually pretty sophisticated that it does that. If you are using JRemote as a controller, you can change from a play list zone which levels the volume to a the audiophile player set-up for some serious listening. Or you can escape to the local pub, and stream music to your ipad, while your companion can listen on the stereo to something else

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 02:36:03 pm »

P.S. Yes, I have rebooted JRemote many times that way. By "reload the server", do you mean reboot JRiver or the Mini or possibly "reload the library" in JRemote. I have noted in a previous post in the Remotes forum that although when you select Settings in JRemote, it says tapping the blue arrow in the server icon will give you an option to reload the library, it does not do that. Do you know an alternative way to reload the library in JRemote? It sees to do it automatically on some schedule, but I don't see where you can set the schedule.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 02:40:58 pm »

yeah sorry meant to reload the library .... sometimes you have to reconnect to the server though for reasons that frankly I have no idea why !

Sorry don't have my ipad next to me, but sure there's a way to switch libraries, forget though  :P If you only have one library disconnecting reconnecting to the server will do the same thing -- refresh the library basically.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 02:46:04 pm »

Thanks for clarifying. I have multiple libraries right now, one in the Mini, where I am working on the metadata and one in the NAS (and likely always will have a traveling one on the laptop/iPad and one on the NAS). When you remember how to switch libraries, let me know.

That's very cool about using JRemote in several locations at once with different sources, in this case different parts of the library. But per Awesome Donkey's suggestion in my post on MC20.0.87 crashing, I have unchecked all JRiver features except Media Network in order to test if one of those other features is causing the crashes. Once I get it stable (really hoping this suggestion will work!), I will reintroduce features one at a time until and if MC20 starts to crash again. He is very interested in knowing which feature is causing this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up