INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eliminating duplicate tracks  (Read 999 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Eliminating duplicate tracks
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:06:58 pm »

Somehow -- I think because I had to re-name my music library on my NAS -- I have wound up with TWO of every selection on most of the albums imported into the Main Library.  Is there an easy way to eliminate all duplicate tracks?

Thank you.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Eliminating duplicate tracks
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:21:28 pm »

If it was indeed from a one-time event you can probably sort by date imported and quickly identify all the dupes.  Then you can either remove the old entries and keep going, or remove the new entries and point the DB to the new location of the old entries. 

A few things that might make it worth keeping (& updating) the old entries rather than just keeping the new ones and moving on:

- Check a couple (or more) albums to make sure the re-imported tracks have all your tagging - most info is stored in the files themselves but some is stored in the library database.  If so you'll have to remove the new DB entries (not the files) and update the DB using "move, rename or copy" and point to the new location.  (those instructions are a little vague, let me know if you need more specifics).

- Another thing to consider: any manually-built playlists will have the "old" files in them, if you have extensive manual playlists built that will be another reason to update the DB rather than remove the old entries. 

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:27:37 pm »

Peter,

Wayne Desbrow here .. you just responded to my post re: duplicate tracks.  I just noticed that under each album each track is listed twice (one immediately after the other, BUT only one of the two will play.  When the other is clicked  on, only silence.  Does that tell you anything additional?

Thanks for your help.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:42:14 pm »

Yup - that supports what you think happened - that you moved the files on your NAS and then MC re-imported the files from their new location. 

The file that plays is the re-imported database entry, the one that doesn't play is the database pointer to the old location. 

Another easy way to find all of the "dead" tracks would be to use the "Files" view under audio - this shows you your library by it's location on your computer or NAS.  You should be able to work your way though the folder structure  until you see the old & new locations.  If you select the old location of your music files all of the "dead" tracks should then be displayed... you can highlight, right-click, and choose delete and then choose "remove from Media Library".

- Peter

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 02:43:46 pm »

Another way to do this .... if the fix broken links option is checked in your autoimport options, all you have to do is run a manual "auto'import" and it will take care of it automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up