INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pono Player -Worth the Money?  (Read 2703 times)

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
Pono Player -Worth the Money?
« on: April 07, 2015, 11:31:33 pm »

Hi,
Interested to hear what people think of their Pono Players, is the quality and difference worth the extra dollars?.
Opinions as to the ease of use, quality etc appreciated.

MikeEvangelist

• Recent member
Re: Pono Player -Worth the Money?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:22:57 am »

I posted this little review back in January, via Twitter (hence the short sentences) -

The @pono player is a high quality player for all your audio files. Hooked up to your stereo or with good headphones, it sounds great.

The interface of the @pono player is rudimentary and jumpy, but it gets the job done. The desktop software, I find non-intuitive and frustrating.

Due to its excellent DAC and output section, lossless rips from CDs sound fantastic on the @pono player. Even lower bitrate files sing

I can -maybe- tell the difference between CD-quality and 24bit/96KHz on the @pono, on very good headphones, but it’s extremely minor.

Don’t waste your money on 192KHz versions for the @pono player; they won’t sound any different than 96KHz or 88KHz versions.

The pricing on the @pono store (and other hi-rez stores) is completely nuts. Just buy the CD and rip it to lossless format.

I don't mind the odd shape. But you can’t really put the @pono in a pocket without constantly pushing the buttons unintentionally.

For people with large collections, it's rather inconvenient that the @pono software doesn’t manage the internal memory and SD card in a unified way. It's all manual. (I realize this may be due to limitations of how the Pono handles multiple removable volumes, but there are ways to deal with this.)

I bought the @pono as a high quality player/decoder for my lossless music collection. It delivers that, so I’m happy.

The rest of the @pono 'hi-rez is better' pitch is largely marketing hype.

Happily, you don’t need the @pono overpriced-but-sound-the-same, hi-rez files to get fabulous sound. Get 16-bit/44KHz and be happy.

shieber

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 09:41:33 am »

I don't think you will find anything at even twice the price that sounds as good. Ayre did a terrific job with the audio circuitry.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:02:58 pm »

I don't think you will find anything at even twice the price that sounds as good. Ayre did a terrific job with the audio circuitry.
+1

Terrific piece of gear for the price.  For example, take a look at Tyll Hertsens review over at Inner Fidelity.  He gives it a thorough work-out in his evaluation.

Also it plays every format PCM and DSD that I have in my collection... and all resolutions, at least up to 192 KHz.  I also take appreciate the  external micro-SD card slot.  No nice-to-have extra features like wi-fi or bluetooth, however. Also no built in equalization.

I primarily use it in balanced operation with my Sennheiser HD 650s, but also makes my stereo sound much better compared to feeding it from my computer + Dragonfly USB DAC. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up