INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for best "remote" computer displa  (Read 1075 times)

ronsou

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Advice for best "remote" computer displa
« on: February 15, 2003, 08:29:00 am »

I have setup a Windows XP Pro machine as my audio server with MediaJukebox, with several thousand songs (all ripped, none downloaded, btw).     While I have a simple Girder based remote control for it, I have found that for this type of application, using Remote Desktop Connection on WinXP Pro with a wireless client is much
preferable.   I can control my mediaplayer remotely, getting the full capability of the UI, but leave the audio files at that remote machine which is wired to my stereo.   I am very please with this system.

My client right now is a WinXP laptop machine using the remote desktop connection and WiFi wireless.   But, I would like something smaller, lighter, with a touchscreen or stylus interface (perfect to choose songs and playlists).

I am trying to decide between the Viewsonic 10" AirPanel, which seems like it would be perfect for this.   It offers a 800x600 display, and touchscreen.   But its pricey, at $1000.

The other option is a PocketPC with the PowerTools Remote Desktop.   This would be even smaller, and possibly even better.   It would certainly be a
lot cheaper.   But, I'm worried that the screen size and 300x200 (approx - I dont know the exact size off hand) screen resolution would make it clumsy to actually use.   Also, since the PowerTools application as I understand it is unsupported, I'm concerned if its robust enough - and more than demoware.

Any opinions or advice between the two type of solutions for this use ?   I have never owned a PDA, and wouldn't use it for more than this remote
control function though I know it is capable of much more.   Nor do I have any experience with the Airpanel, I've just seen it at CompUSA and such.

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Re: Advice for best "remote" computer di
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2003, 10:43:50 pm »

For the PDA side check out netremote for the control of MJ via a wireless PDA.  The netremote solution is elegant and the instant on of CE devices is nice for this type of application... If I was in your shoes I would be getting a PDA and running Netremote....

However if the additional screen real estate is pulling you that way what about a Sonic Blue Progear... Lots of these liquidated at $600 or so for a silver tablet PC with nice magnesium case and built in 802.11... Pretty much perfect for your intended application... XGA TFT... Sweet... Me likey very much !!!

Personally I did a powerbuy on the Point 510's when nabisco dumped them and even though they are lowly hardware when used as a thin client (via the RDC system you are using) then they work OK... I have a couple of these on 802.11 and use Glissando as my front end to MJ...

If having it on you lap is not vital check out a Virgin WebPlayer internet appliance... I picked up 2 of these at $65 each and hacked them into a usable computer... One sits on my equipment rack and is another Glissando interface... Nice little silver and black LCD (DSTN) screened mini computer... Fine for the purpose and $65 !!!

Check out the I-Appliance forums (linuxhacker.net IIRC) for lots of these kind of super cheap hackable bits of tech that can be adapted for interesting uses...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up