INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI with multiple programs  (Read 2544 times)

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
WASAPI with multiple programs
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:40:31 am »

I am trying to use WASAPI with two different programs simultaneously.
Program 1 (Media Center) needs to control the HDMI output on my video card, which is connected to my receiver.
Program 2 (Reaper) needs to control the ADC input from my USB sound card.

I would like to watch a recorded TV show while I convert some audio in the background.
Is this even possible?

I had to switch Media Center from WASAPI to DirectSound before the second program could work.
Media Center was idle at the time but I assume it requires exclusive access to the hardware.
Since it is not using the ADC for anything I am hoping there is some way these programs can coexist.
HTPC - Windows 11 64-bit Minisforum MS-01

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: WASAPI with multiple programs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:01:06 am »

WASAPI means the program has exclusive use/control of the hardware, so it can't be used by two programs at the same time.
Direct Sound should work for you want to do. Is there a reason why you can't or don't want to use Direct Sound?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:03:31 am »

If you set MC to use WASAPI, you can tell it to use exclusive or not in the options.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:59 pm »

I will give shared access a try.

My system has a lot of music recorded at 24/48 and I was trying to keep things simple when I switch between various sources.
HTPC - Windows 11 64-bit Minisforum MS-01

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:09 pm »

I had to switch Media Center from WASAPI to DirectSound before the second program could work.
Media Center was idle at the time but I assume it requires exclusive access to the hardware.
Since it is not using the ADC for anything I am hoping there is some way these programs can coexist.

Something very weird is going on.

MC does enable Exclusive Access by default when you use WASAPI mode.  However, the exclusive access lock is device specific (in fact, if you use a sound card that has both digital and analog outs, it'll only lock the one that MC is configured to use).  And, it only happens when MC is playing or paused.  As soon as you Stop playback, the exclusive lock is released.

Read this for all the detail you could possibly need on Exclusive Access:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Exclusive_Access

So... Something very strange is going on.  One thing that could, maybe be related, is the WDM driver.  MC installs a virtual sound card driver, which can be used to route audio from other applications through MC.  This is cool, but it is best saved until you get everything else set up first.  Please ensure that you have not accidentally gotten Windows set up to use Media Center as the default playback device for your computer.  I can see this maybe having that effect, but there would need to be other misconfigurations too.

And, please post Screenshots (check this page if you don't know how) of:
* Tools > Options > Audio
* Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings
* DSP Studio > Output Format
* The Windows Playback Devices control panel tab
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up