INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to watch TV and listen to Music at the same time?  (Read 949 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Possible to watch TV and listen to Music at the same time?
« on: April 10, 2015, 06:42:50 pm »

I tried multiple instances of MC this didn't work.
I already have two different paths for 5.1 and audiophile 2.0 audio.

Zones maybe?? Couldn't figure out a way in my search to only use JRiver and not Sage....

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Possible to watch TV and listen to Music at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:55:01 pm »

Are you trying to get audio from both at the same time or are you trying to watch with the TV muted (california style)?

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:56:56 pm »

Yes, many of us have a Zone for built-in 5.1 for TV and a Zone for audiophile stereo DAC.

Both should be able to run at the same time (unless you have a "Rule" that stops other zones).

When you create more than one Zone, each has its own Playing Now list, and each has its own Audio and Video setup pages.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:31:41 pm »

Yes, you can.  You need to make two Zones.

If the Zones both use the same audio output device, then MC won't be able to use them simultaneously if they're in WASAPI with Exclusive Access enabled.  This probably isn't a problem if you don't want to hear both the music and the TV audio at the same time.

If you do want to hear the audio from both (and you don't have two separate audio output devices you can use), then you'll need to make some special Zones with Exclusive Access disabled, or make some special Zones set to DirectSound mode, or something else non-exclusive.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:06:07 am »

OK I'll try the Zones for this. "California Style :)" Never heard this before. :) Yes the goal is to watch TV muted and listen to 2.0 with my "Audiophile" set-up...

I've been using a different approach for years for Video and Audio (Not TV as I still don't use it for TV but that's the goal...) and it works good for me:

5.1 Using a custom Red-October "Standard" Specifying my Coaxial Out of the MOBO for AC3 stream to my Receiver.
2.0: I set-up the Audio to ASIO for my USB DAC (Mostly ALAC Redbook, HD Files, DSD...). Works great!

I've been using Zones in the past to send Audio to another PC with JRiver but not for this..I'll try it out and report back...
Pages: [1]   Go Up