INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing library between Mac and PC  (Read 2289 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Sharing library between Mac and PC
« on: April 11, 2015, 04:38:49 am »

Hi,

I am trying to use the PC library I use on my W7 Bootcamp MacMini under OSX (same MacMini) but it does not work. Whenever I try to start a film MC tells me "Something went wrong with playback ... The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on disk".

When I say "use" the PC library, I mean that I restored the most recent PC backup library using the OSX version of MC.

Could this be a mapping problem?  Obviously the location of the films, music etc has not changed. The odd thing is that when I access the PC library directly from another Mac it does work.

I guess what I am really asking is how I can share a library using a dual boot machine?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sharing library between Mac and PC
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 05:07:18 am »

hmm I don't have a Mac to test, but I sort of doubt you can use the PC file in an OSX system. Surprised it didn't break everything frankly.

What I would try is use the Bootcamp machine as the server (at least at first) setting up the other machine purely as a client. That logically would work.  If the other machine is to become the server, maybe you can clone the library, just not sure if that function exists on the MAC version or not.

You might have to nuke the library if it is the default one following that restore you did.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:17:14 am »

Arindelle,

I may have misread you but the problem is that both MCs are on the same machine, so one cannot serve as server and the other as a client (this DOES work when I use another Mac).

What seems to be the best thing to do is the replace the absolute drive letters in the PC library with their UNC equivalent. The problem is that I am not sure how to go about this. I tried the Library Tools Rename tool, but this only gives me error messages that I am trying to copy files onto themselves when in fact all I want to do is change the mapping.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 05:24:27 am »

hey Akira, it is I that misread you sorry, I should read more carefully  - I could help with Windows but I'm a Mac noob.

So friendly ***BUMP*** to weekend MAC experts, plz chime in :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 06:28:18 am »

What seems to be the best thing to do is the replace the absolute drive letters in the PC library with their UNC equivalent. The problem is that I am not sure how to go about this. I tried the Library Tools Rename tool, but this only gives me error messages that I am trying to copy files onto themselves when in fact all I want to do is change the mapping.

?I'm not a mac expert, but the way to change filepath/filename entries without moving the files is to use the "update database to new location" sub function of rename, move, copy.  That just changes where the database points without trying to move the files.  Try it on a few files before you try it on very many to see what you think.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 11:23:31 am »

Thanks, that might just work. I was trying it in Windows because if I can manage to change all the windows paths to UNCs then future copies of that database should also work under OSX. The question now is how to change absolute (mapped) paths in Windows to UNCs.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:58:32 pm »

MWillems thanks again, using "update database to new location" allowed me to replace absolute mappings to relative UNC ones. The updated files play fine under MC for Windows. This should now allow me to use the library in OSX. ... I just checked it and unfortunately it still does not work and I get the same error message as reported earlier about the file not being found, DESPITE the fact that now the path is a proper UNC path and the network drive to which it points is mounted.

Perhaps one of the Mac programmer can shed light on this?

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 02:59:12 pm »

Being completely fixated on using proper path names rather than mapped drive letters I overlooked that OSX apparently only supports UNCs in CIFS references but not as links, so I am still stuck. What is the best way to keep a Mac and a PC library in sync (at least until such a time that the Mac version is as good as the PC version, i.e. has a TheaterView)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up