INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-Tagging XXL  (Read 1457 times)

masterjoe

• World Citizen
Auto-Tagging XXL
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:47:51 am »

The auto-tagging feature is very powerful when inporting new media into a library.
There are several suggestions that I have how this could be improved.
If any of my suggestions already exist in some for then please enlighten me :) I am a newbie regarding MC :)

1) Auto-Tagging Profiles
Currently there is only one "profile" for autotagging for any folder. That's well and good but it would be even better if the user could define multiple profiles and save them as presets. Each profile could be associated with a (media) file type. There could also exist profiles which are valid for ALL file types. Profiles could then be made active or inactive depending on what shall happen during file import.
This would increase flexibility a LOT.

2) Auto-Tagging Events
I would like to be able to tag my files depending on what happens. Imagine the user plays a video than I would like to tag the file as "seen" with a user defined field. I could also write the date and time into a field when the playback started last. And I could imagine that such events could flag and change other attributes on other events such as listing a file (viewing the entry in the library) or stopping the playback or whatever.

The following events are only suggestions and there might be many others:
- OnPlay
- OnStop
- OnPause
- OnView
- OnTagChange
- OnImport

Whenever such an event occurs a script shall be executed that allows changes in the tags of the media item. It would also be thinkable to only have a tag-update list where tags are defined that shall be touched. These tag update entries would contain expressions just like the auto-tagging of the current import feature. Maybe you could combine auto-tagging profiles with these events: an event triggers a specific associated profile for the corresponding media item associated with the event in order to update one, some or all tags.

With dummy media items (which currently don't exist!) and these events you could also change settings of MC. This however would require more than just a tagging mechanism but true scripting instead.

The most advanced option of all would be to have VBA (or another scripting engine like LUA or Angel Script) integrated into MC and to define the events within the environment of the scripting engine. Then the user could add custom code to manipulate whatever he / she desired when an event occurs :)

What do you think?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto-Tagging XXL
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:05:21 am »

Assuming you mean Tag on Import rules, each folder can have their own rules.  Please see:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tag_on_Import
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:34:14 am »

But there are no events and / or scripting support yet? To implement state machines and stuff?

Also what I want to see is some sort of (user buildt) templates / presets that can be applied to these folders. Currently everything has to be done by hand over and over again! Or is there any solution to copy settings or to save and apply presets?

Currently the system looks a bit cluttered and settings from one folder cannot be reused by another once they have been defined.

It would be cool to have tagging profiles which can be assigned to folders rather than adding these tags to the folders themselves.
This way a profile only needs to be changed once and can be applied in many places. also there could be presets to be used on newly added folders.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 11:08:34 am »

Did you even bother trying a search?  Maybe start somewhere like here and see what you can do

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Scripting_Plugin

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 11:52:47 am »

Okay. Will have a look. Looks very promising ;)

Still the template / preset system for folder auto-tagging would be very handy for every day importing.
The scripting plugin is not for everyone!

I was thinking of code snippets which can be used here and there.

But it's cool to know that a full scripting engine is available. Whew.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:24:22 pm »

2) Auto-Tagging Events
I would like to be able to tag my files depending on what happens. Imagine the user plays a video than I would like to tag the file as "seen" with a user defined field. I could also write the date and time into a field when the playback started last.

Just so you know: this portion of what you're describing is already the default behavior.  Media Center tracks whether a video program has been "watched" or an audio file has been "played" and tracks when the file was last watched/played.  There are a few threads about tweaking the "watched" behavior, but these two things are already baked in.  

For example, a video I watched for the second time recently: in the file view, MC shows "2 plays (last Apr 17)", and it's marked with a check mark in theater view to indicate that it's been watched.  You can get the checkmarks in standard view too, just check out the thread in glynor's signature on "better watched markers" scratch that it's not in his siggy anymore, here's the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85974.0

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »

Ok, that's good to know :) However you should see my use cases only as examples for what someone might do on state transitions.
I am always looking for general purpose functionality because I sometimes do wild things with tools like these.

That said - MC is really powerful, no doubt!

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 01:51:02 pm »

Quote from: MasterJoe
What do you think?

I'm sure you are trying to be helpful, MasterJ, but I think you are putting the proverbial cart before the horse. Get to know the software for a couple of months, search the forums and browse the wiki first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up