INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: duplicate tracks  (Read 2794 times)

winggo

• Recent member
duplicate tracks
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:31:24 am »

I've been reading the forum about the duplicate tracks problem that some of us are having.  I have a couple of albums, some ripped from CD and some downloaded files, that have hundreds of copies of each track.  I created a smartlist that would show duplicates and it is a huge list.  The other night I spend an hour or better going though those albums and deleting all but one copy of all the tracks.  I assume if I delete all the tracks in the duplicates smartlist I will delete the original also leaving the file empty.  Last night I went back to those albums and they are full of hundreds of copies again.  Some albums will have two or three copies of each track but a few will have literally hundreds of copies of each track.  There are also a large number of files listed that have "0" bytes for size but there are hundreds of copies of those also.

If JRiver can't fix this duplication problem with an update, maybe someone can write a script for a smartlist that will list all dupicates and then delete all but one of each.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: duplicate tracks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:56:51 am »

As far as I can tell, pressing delete (function-delete on the Mac, or just choosing the delete option from the right click menu) does NOT delete the file from disk.  Rather, it removes the song from JRiver's database.  So the file is still there on disk.  I'm not sure how yours came back unless you did an import on the folder again or something.

I recently did a library consolidation exercise that had quite a few duplicates (several hundred duplicated songs).  My method was to select the files that I did NOT want to keep and then use the "Rename, Move, and Copy Files..." dialog to move the duplicate files to another directory *outside* of the directory where the good files were.  This worked really well actually.

Brian.

winggo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:06:42 pm »

There is only one copy of each file on the HD, but there are numerous copies on the JRiver playlist/library

winggo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:51:19 am »

This duplicate file problem still persists.  A while back I tried deleting the playlist file in JRiver for a file list that had duplicate files.  Then I ran import a single folder of the same album again and it seemed to work.  The file that was once full of duplicates was now back to normal with one copy of each song.  The other night I went back to one of those playlists to play that album and "guess what" the file was full of duplicates again.  This happens on albums that come from ripped CDs and from download files also.  One thing I notice is that it is the same albums that do this over and over.

Is there anyone at JRiver addressing this problem with the Mac version?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 12:03:44 pm »

You should post a screen shot of one of these from the view where you see the problem.  Also post a screen shot from the files view of the same album.  You almost certainly have an issue with a smartlist, or you've got a metadata issue.

Give us some more info and I'll bet one of us can help you figure it out.  :)

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 12:18:18 am »

Yeah, I don't get duplicates at all.  Something oddball is going on.

Are you importing Playlists?  Please describe in more detail what is actually on disk, and what is getting imported.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 12:19:59 am »

As far as I can tell, pressing delete (function-delete on the Mac, or just choosing the delete option from the right click menu) does NOT delete the file from disk.  Rather, it removes the song from JRiver's database.  So the file is still there on disk.

This isn't true.  It asks you:

The only time it doesn't ask you is if you delete from an ordered Playlist, and in this case, it doesn't remove the file from MC at all, but removes it from the Playlist.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up