INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 42887 times)

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
Re: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2003, 12:18:14 am »

Thanks for the reassurance Adam.

My Ipod seems to have moved from the "correctly reporting" camp into the "all over the place" camp over the last month or so. I wondered if that was anything to do with MC9 and the creative things Steve has been doing.

John.

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2003, 07:09:09 am »

Well, I bought MC9 about a week ago and was a very happy owner until build .259 came out. Now I'm getting the "Error reading the database. Please rebuild database from iPod." message every time I try and sync my pod and I'm not a very happy camper. Is there any way to go back to the last build before .258 or am I just going to have to go back and use ephPOD. This sucks, cause I was really enjoy the program but I really am getting tired of doing a full sync every time I connect.

Bill McNair

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2003, 08:40:33 am »

Okay guys, I bought MC9. And I'm having problems.  

Download, installation, importing MP3 and Audible files okay, playback OK.  

I reformatted iPod, initialized, then sync'd . And immeidately after the 25 minute wait to sync, it gives me an error message. "Error reading database...Pls rebuild."

So I click rebuild,  and the program hangs up completely, so I have to restart am I'm back to square on.  Rinse and repeat. So now I've got two hours into trying to get my MP3 files on my freaking iPod and I ain't got jack squat!

Am I doing something wrong? I've been using iPod with MMJB, Xplay, and Ephod since February so I'm not totally ignorant. Only partially.  

Any help appreciated in advance.  

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2003, 09:19:47 am »

Howdy from the 'lounge Southside and Para!  ;D

Sadly guys, there was a bug of some sort introduced in the .259 build.  Steve said he fixed it on friday and that it will be fixed w/the next build (.261) which should be out Monday.

If you aren't using .260, you might want to try that, but I'm faily confident that .261 will fix it, he stated in his last post (I believe) that there was some issue w/the drawing of the iPod tree that was causing a number of issues.

So, Monday afternoon should have something ready for you....

Adam

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2003, 09:26:04 am »

Aha! Thanks Adam. Thats valuable news. I will cease operations for today then and pick up after the update.

Para

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2003, 10:02:05 am »

Hey everyone,

Just a quick note to say, sorry for any problems (especially the Rebuild error) I can try to sort that out on Monday.

Steve

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2003, 11:45:37 am »

Alright. I uninstaled 2.60 and installed .256 which was supposed to be the last "stable build" and from what I'm reading, before this issue came up.  But I'm still having the exact same problem.  can't read the database, and I it tells me to rebuild it every time and i rebuild it, and as soon as it finishes, I get the exact same message.  

So now what do I do?

webcash

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2003, 12:31:13 pm »

Para ,
I may be wrong and im only trying to help but originally when using MC9 i had similair problems even though i had reformatted my ipod and THOUGHT i had removed Xplay.However in reality Xplay was still hiding somewhere in my pc and when i started again it copied xplay files over to the xpod which then crashed everything just like you describe.Do a search on your pc and confirm that there is absolutely no trac whatsoever of Xplay

HTH

Peter

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2003, 01:54:24 pm »

Thanks Peter,
I did unintall Xplay completely from my PC and I also reformatted by iPod so the Xplay folder was deleted from the iPod.  

I've got about nine hours into this so, I'm giving up for now. Reformatted the iPod for the eighth time, and in the process of reloading with MMJB.

Still hoping for some other solutions though since I was forced to buy this to try it, and at least theoretically, it looks like a great program.

I like the UI a lot, very intuitive, clean and easy to use.  But thats a moot point if I can't get files on my iPod.

I was so excited, and now I'm really depressed. :(

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2003, 08:17:49 pm »

para...

Don't be depressed man! ;)

You unfortunately hit a bump in the beta road, just at the wrong time.  There were a ton of changes to get the last played, ratings and playcounts added, plus we pushed Steve to make syncing a one-step process last week.  He's covered a ton of work in 2 weeks, and he's just putting the finishing touches on.  Sorry you had to go through this, but things will work for you shortly.  I can guarantee it.  

Adam

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2003, 08:38:50 pm »

Ha Ha.... I'm hanging in.  I don't mind the beta headaches but it seemed to be going so well till I ran into the database problem.  And I can definately tell I'm gonna like it.  I'm gonna be able to reduce about five assorted media apps down to one!

After I found out about the bug, I figured I hold off, so I reset everything up with MMJB, then that was no fun, so I downloaded .256 and just started doing everything but the full sync with iPod.  I transferred an assortment of music and Audible files, enough to keep me happy for a day or two.

And in the meantime, I've been trying everything else out.  Ripping CD's, burning CD's, Audible bookmarks....

I'm digging it.

indevelopment

• Recent member
  • music is my ticket to freedom...
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2003, 01:34:36 am »

Para, I've found when I've got a major crash on the pod thru mc, I usually have to do a FULL format, which includes the "restore ipod" option from the ipod manager. I've been sycnching playcounts and ratings for at least a week and have found that there's at least 4 builds a week of the MC demo (unreal) and at least 3 of these per week play nice with the pod. Just a tip, backup your media library occasionally, just for safety's sake.

Grant

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2003, 06:08:22 am »

Duly noted. Thanks. I will definately do that before anything else.

SteveG

« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2003, 10:18:50 am »

Everyone,

The Rebuild iTunesDB problem is fixed  (Thanks to all who sent files) but not in the build that just got posted. If we do a build later, it will be part of MC. If not, I will make it available from the plugins page.

Steve

schwaa

• Junior Woodchuck
  • and then...
« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2003, 10:26:42 am »

Thanks for the help with the database. I did indeed note (by attempt) that the fix is not included in .261 :( . Please post a note as to where and when we should look for your fix as soon as it is made available.

BillRaff

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2003, 10:46:10 am »

That's good news. Thanks, Steve. Just out of curiosity can you explain why some of us were seeing this problem and others were not? I won't have time tonight to test but look forward to synching again starting tomorrow.

Thanks again.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2003, 11:17:57 am »

Para, Southside and other new users....

Wanted to second indevelopment's advice about backups.

Back up your Library (File>Library>Backup Library) before doing a sync on a new build.  For the most part we've been fine recently, but what happened to me a while ago was I lost my playcount and lastplayed data (all of it). So I'd lost 2 weeks of listening from my iPod.  Major bummer as I use those rules often.  :D

So, just for a bit longer, just make that part of your process after you install a new build--the first thing you do.  :D

Adam

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2003, 12:22:27 pm »

Para, Southside and other new users....

Wanted to second indevelopment's advice about backups.

Back up your Library (File>Library>Backup Library) before doing a sync on a new build.  For the most part we've been fine recently, but what happened to me a while ago was I lost my playcount and lastplayed data (all of it). So I'd lost 2 weeks of listening from my iPod.  Major bummer as I use those rules often.  :D

So, just for a bit longer, just make that part of your process after you install a new build--the first thing you do.  :D

Adam

Aye.

Always practice safe software.  You'll thank yourself later.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

webcash

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2003, 01:44:30 pm »

Steve any progress or clarification on the multiple artists issue?
Thanks

Peter

SteveG

« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2003, 02:04:12 pm »

Everyone,

9.1.262 inlcudes the fix for the Rebuild problem. Some users were seeing it probably if they had a tag field that was very long. Anyway, I hope it goes away tonight.

Peter,

I will check your issue out tomorrow.

Steve

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2003, 03:01:31 pm »

Hey Steve,

I tried build .261 with a fresh ipod and got the same results with the last played smartlist on my ipod not removing the tracks.  Again, under Media Library and in the playlist view in MC9 the tracks are correctly updated (meaning: in Media Library it shows the last played date and the number plays and in the playlist view the tracks are removed from my last played smartlist).  In addition, when I start to synch it clearly shows in the Synch Progress window that the tracks are being removed, however, it does not update my last played playlist on my ipod.

Adam,

You wrote:

"bd6675:
Your problem is bugging me too. What about doing another simple test.  Create a smartlist of 10 random tracks (Add Modifier>Limit set it to 10 tracks)

Then sync just this playlist w/your iPod.  Check the playlist, then do another sync.  See if it changes.  I know this works as I do something similar every day.  I'd be interested to see your results."

I set up that smartlist (although I am not sure if I set it up correctly).  I used this formula:                              

Sort:[Random]Limit:10 tracks

I noticed that when I synched just that playlist it created a playlist with 10 tracks in it.  However, when I synched it again, it added a list of 10 new tracks IN ADDITION to the 10 old ones I had in there after I synched the first time.  I am not sure if that is what is supposed to happen or if it should delete the first 10 tracks that I synched and leave just the second 10.  Let me know what you think.

Anyway, I am still in the same position I was in before.  Any ideas?

Again, thanks go out to Steve and Adam for trying to get this right.

Take care,

Chris

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2003, 03:16:56 pm »

Hey Adam,

I think we are zeroing in on the problem....after I wrote my last post I realized that the random playlist on my ipod should be removing the old 10 tracks and just leaving the new 10.  It is not working that way....with this smartlist (as with the last played playlist) it does not update on the ipod.  I can see in the random playlist in the MC9 playlist view that every time I "import ipod data into MC" it adds a fresh list of 10 tracks and removes the old ones.  It is just that when I synch it does not remove them from my ipod random smartlist.......anyway..I hope this helps.  Do I need to add some sort of modifier that tells the ipod to remove the tracks from those smartlists???

Thanks,

Chris

schwaa

• Junior Woodchuck
  • and then...
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2003, 03:31:00 pm »

Steve, you have solved the Database rebuild bug with the latest build :D ! The funny thing is long tags are useless on iPod anyway. I am a convert from Creative Jukebox 3 that was able to scroll left to right to accomodate long tags. Anyway, thanks for getting to the bottom of this pain in the tag!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2003, 03:33:48 pm »

bd6675:

OK, first things first.  

1. There has been a second release today, .262, make sure you get that one before we go on.

2. Restore your iPod w/the Apple Updater, do that even if you did it before the .261 build you tested.

3. Sync that one smartlist I mentioned (you made it right).

4. Sync again, make sure that in the sync dialog you have the "Delete Files" option checked.

Post back and let us know how it goes.....

If that works, we can move on to the next more complicated stuff.  ;)

Adam

Snuffy2

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Got Corn?
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2003, 04:48:33 pm »

In the small text box after
'Available Space After Sync:'
it says: Click the "Transfer" button now to begin copying the files shown above to the handheld device.
Check to make sure the device is connected and turned on.7.3 GB

I believe it should just say: 7.3 GB

Snuffy2

Media Center 9.1.262 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 1594 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 481 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: MATSHITA UJDA745 DVD/CDRW   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2003, 04:55:39 pm »

Hey Adam,

Well, now I feel really stupid...after you wrote:

"Sync again, make sure that in the sync dialog you have the "Delete Files" option checked."

I realized that I found the solution to my problem (or should I say you found it)....I HAD NOT BEEN CHECKING THAT BOX!!!  Once that box is checked and I synch all my playlists (this is a must.... I found out that you can't just synch that one smartlist or it will delete all the other playlists and the songs in them) it removes the tracks that I just played....it appears everything is fine.

I am so sorry I took up all your time (Steve, this goes for you as well).  I really appreciate all your efforts.

Thanks,

Chris

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2003, 05:42:51 pm »

Updated to 2.62.

Sync'd libary. No problem.
Then added an additional single file.  No problem.

Attempted to add another file. Put it in the cue, but the transfer button is inactive.  

Tried this three times.  I can "transfer" once with no problem, but then have to exit the program before I can do another transfer.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2003, 07:36:56 pm »

bd6675:

hehe, don't feel bad.  I do believe there was some bug that Steve fixed as well.  But when I saw your post that you sync'd the one smartlist of 10 songs and then sync'd it again and you had 20 songs, I knew that was probably the problem.

With that said, even w/o the Delete Files checked, the Playlist on the iPod should still only have had 10 songs on it, not 20.  At least that would be my expectation

Steve?  Am I right there?  Shouldn't it work that way?

Paranoya:
I fairly certain that most of us just use the Sync option as that's much more robust.  So, if you want to add more songs, just include them in your sync set, they sync will go at like 200MB/sec as most of the songs are on the iPod.

With that said (geez, I seem to like saying that tonight), you have found a bug it sounds like....Steve will have to address.  I really never use the Upload feature (or Send To, or Add to Queue, whatever you want to call it--I just sync).

Steve, I'm happy to report myself that I found everything to work fine.  My disappearing playlist problem is gone.  Smartlists are updating great.  Yippee.

The only problem I found is in the "Space Remaining After Sync" field there was this bit of text:

Click the "Transfer" button now to begin copying the files shown above to the handheld device.
Check to make sure the device is connected and turned on.176.5 MB

Minor bug..

Great work!

Adam

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #228 on: September 29, 2003, 08:15:04 pm »

Adam,
I use the snyc function for my music libary and keep about 11 gigs on the iPod, and I leave the rest available for Audible files.

And with Audible files, once you've listened to it, you just dump it and add another, since you won't need it again.. I also have a bunch of other MP3's that I don't keep in my library that I want to be able to access on an as needed basis.  I know I could seperate this out in a bunch of playlists, but thats way too much trouble for me.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
iPod volume adjustment questions
« Reply #229 on: September 29, 2003, 10:31:16 pm »

I have some questions about volume adjustment on the iPod... I have done an Audio Analysis on all the songs in my library, so the ReplayGain field is populated. My questions:

1) Does the MC replay gain field get passed on to the iPod directly?

2) Do I need to turn on "Sound Check" on the iPod itself? (in the Settings menu)

3) When I right-click on the iPod in MC, there is a volume adjustment option on the menu - what does this do? It leads to a dialog with two main inputs, one related to Replay Gain and the other to a volume adjustment.

4) More specifically, does the Replay Gain control just add an increased number to the Replay Gain for individual songs?

5) What does the fixed volume adjustment control do? Is it the same as http://www.ringom.no/espen/ipod/? What is a good recommended setting?

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2003, 04:05:50 am »

Snuffy2 wrote:

"In the small text box after
'Available Space After Sync:'  
it says: Click the "Transfer" button now to begin copying the files shown above to the handheld device.
Check to make sure the device is connected and turned on.7.3 GB

I believe it should just say: 7.3 GB"

I am having the same issue with build .262 (with different available space values...obviously).  I first noticed this on build .261.  

Thanks,

Chris

Snuffy2

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Got Corn?
« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2003, 07:16:08 am »

I'm still working on figuring out how to reproduce this everytime, but sometimes I'm getting a sync error and my playlists disappear from the iPOD. The songs are all there, but the only playlist on the iPOD is the On The Go one.

I'm not 100% on this but if I remember correctly, the times when the playlists disappear is when I get an error synching.  The error (sorry I don't remember the exact quote) is along the lines of: "MC cannot update the MC Library with data from the iPOD because the song is no longer available in the MC Library" Whenever I get that error, it seems that the playlists do not transfer correctly.

Is it possible that when the iPOD tries to update the MC Library and as song has been removed from the Library, the playlists don't get transferred correctly?

Edit:
Once this bad synch happens and I remove the iPOD, when I plug it back in MC doesn't detect it correctly.  It just gives the, oh so helpful, Red X error with the text 'h'.

The only way I've seen to fix it is by initialing the iPOD from Apple Updater and Inititalizing and resynching in MC. That fixes the issue (albeit slowly).

I know this is not too much information, but does anyone have any idea as to what's going wrong?

Thanx

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2003, 10:23:00 am »

Snuffy2,
I've seen a behavior like the one you describe.

Is your Ipod "drive" named Ipod ?
Is your Ipod Manager running?

If it is, try to uninstall it, reboot, reconnect and see - this will hopefully make it work.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2003, 10:24:44 am »

gpvillamil:

1. The replay gain value gets passed to the iPod only if you have the "Set Volume Adjustment" option set to Apply Replay Gain and when you sync you have the "Update Tags" option checked.

2. You don't need Soundcheck turned on, it has no effect on WiPods

3. This is where you enable Replay Gain to be applied to the iPod.  There are 2 ways you can change the volume on the iPod: 1) throught Replay Gain which normalizes the volume on your tunes and 2) through Volume Boost which does not use Replay Gain and hence your tunes are not normalized.  This feature was added for Euro-podders to get around the EU Volume Cap.  If you're not from the EU, you don't need to use this option.

4. The Replay Gain value raises or lowers the db level of each song to normalize all songs.  So, songs that have a high volume will tend to have a negative Replay Gain value and songs that are quite will have a positive value.  This value is stored in MC9's database and applied during Playback (if Replay Gain is turned on in DSP studio).  The iPod also supports a database field that can be used to boost or lower the volume of tunes, so MC9 just takes its Replay Gain value and puts it into the iPod's database.

5. See #3, it's for EU Podders as I said.

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2003, 10:25:28 am »

Peter,

Tried searching everywhere but unable to find a soloution....

Currently set to ARTIST as my choice as advised by the genius otherwise known as ADAM

I am having trouble duplicating this. How are you  sending the files, synching or using the manual upload?Test a file that fails and then let me know what info you have for Artist, AlbumArtist and Album Artist (auto) in MC and what is reported for Artist on iPod. Also reconfirm that your selection is Artist under ' Select Artist Field'.

Everyone,

I will fix the Available Space error and the greyed out Upload buttons after a transfer in tomorrow's build.

Adam and ugilt, thanks for posting replys.

webcash

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2003, 12:19:41 pm »

Steve i can confirm that i am indeed using artist in the field.Not sure what to tell you the albums in question are Now thats what i call music volume 54 and 53 and 52.Basically they are compliation albums which show perfectly on the pc but once they are sent over via synch the songs go over but the artist fields just show multiple artists

Peter

GaryD9

• Recent member
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2003, 04:24:56 pm »

Strangeness with ratings... (using .262 build)

On MC and iPod, there are a dozen or so unrated songs.  I rate half of them in MC, and do a one-step-sync (sync with the "sync to MC" checkbox checked.)  After that completes, the songs are unrated (again) in MC.  I again rate about half of them, and do the one-step-sync.  Again, they all lose their ratings.  

If I do a one-way sync (removing the check for "sync to MC") the ratings sync properly to the iPod.

For amusement, I rate one of the remaining unrated songs in MC, and then do a one-way sync of "import ipod data into MC."  Result?  The song I just rated in MC loses its rating.  

Comment:  I thought that the iPod rating was only copied into MC iff it was set to non-zero.  It appears here that it's always copying it from the iPod regardless.

Cosmetic bug:  The menu option "Import IPod data into MC" should be changed to reflect the proper case of "iPod". ;)

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #237 on: September 30, 2003, 06:08:42 pm »

gpvillamil:

1. The replay gain value gets passed to the iPod only if you have the "Set Volume Adjustment" option set to Apply Replay Gain and when you sync you have the "Update Tags" option checked.

2. You don't need Soundcheck turned on, it has no effect on WiPods

3. This is where you enable Replay Gain to be applied to the iPod.  There are 2 ways you can change the volume on the iPod: 1) throught Replay Gain which normalizes the volume on your tunes and 2) through Volume Boost which does not use Replay Gain and hence your tunes are not normalized.  This feature was added for Euro-podders to get around the EU Volume Cap.  If you're not from the EU, you don't need to use this option.

4. The Replay Gain value raises or lowers the db level of each song to normalize all songs.  So, songs that have a high volume will tend to have a negative Replay Gain value and songs that are quite will have a positive value.  This value is stored in MC9's database and applied during Playback (if Replay Gain is turned on in DSP studio).  The iPod also supports a database field that can be used to boost or lower the volume of tunes, so MC9 just takes its Replay Gain value and puts it into the iPod's database.

5. See #3, it's for EU Podders as I said.

Adam

Thanks for this - so basically, you have the option to adjust volume on a per-song basis (Replay Gain), and apply a boost to them, or you can adjust the overall volume of the iPod, but not both at once. Probably because they're redundant.

I've found that boosting the volume using the % increase control actually improves sound quality. I tried a 40% increase in volume, and the bass response seemed much better. When using the Etymotic earphones, I used to set the volume control on the iPod at about the 85% mark, and now I can leave it at about the 50% level.

I guess you could achieve the same effect by boosting the Replay Gain by +12dB as well?

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #238 on: October 01, 2003, 04:17:52 am »

Lack of space on hard disk

I am now receiving messages that I am running out of disk space on my PC and I am only 50% utilised on my iPod.

How do other users get around this problem?

As a potential solution I am thinking of using external optical storage (e.g. DVDs) to store my music leaving the hard drive free for other uses. Would this solution create problems when, for example, I am adding to the library or indeed syncing files (no doubt involving the loading of a number of discs?)

I did post an earlier issue about some tracks finishing abruptly. Unfortunately since osting the message I have been away on compassionate leave and did not log the names of the files concerned. I will do this the next time the problem occurs.

I look forward to receiving any feedback.

David

?

Empyrean

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #239 on: October 01, 2003, 08:19:22 am »

I am considering backup options as I'm ripping more and more of my music library and I'm getting nervous. Whatever I have ripped is on my iPod. In the event of failure of my hard disk, would be it possible to have MediaCenter restore from the iPod putting things back the way they were? Folders, correct tagging, etc.? If so, how would you go about it?

I guess this leads into the next question as well, is it possible to synchronize between two copies of MC. For instance, work and home utilizing the iPod?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Snuffy2

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Got Corn?
« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2003, 11:07:14 am »

Quote:
Strangeness with ratings... (using .262 build)

That's what's supposed to happen as far as I understand it.

BUT -

I have a feature request associated with that:

I personally use MC at home to listen to music and rate songs, and I also use the iPOD. Right now, if I rate things on both MC and the iPOD and then sync I lose one or the other (usually the MC ratings because I want the Playcounts & Last Played to apply).   So I'd propose Ratings Optioms for synching so that you can keep get the Playcounts & Last played, PLUS keep all your ratings.

I think there should be a set of three to five options for how you want to handle ratings and iPOD Synching.  It could be another right click option similar so select artist field or in the sync options.

The ratings options should be (similar to a palm sync):
1. iPOD Overwrites MC
2. MC Overwrites iPOD
3. Highest Rating is Kept
4. Lowest Rating is Kept (Maybe)
5. Don't Transfer Ratings (Maybe)
And if your feeling ultra motivated add a feature like the palm to do an option once and then go back to your default (ie. if you normally keep your highest ratings, but this time wanted to overwrite all MC ratings with iPOD, it would do it once then revert back to highest for future syncs)

A Palm Sync Options Screenshot:

I think with those options, you could make everyone happy with the ratings.

Anyone else think it's a good idea?

ThoughtfulGorilla

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #241 on: October 01, 2003, 11:18:27 am »

Thought I'd post my experience with MC.  I was very happy with MC until fairly recently.  I became rather frustrated at .259 when the beta blew up my db.  Trivial to fix my redoing my ipod, I know.

Unfortunately, the machine housing my music lost its power supply, so my source of music was my ipod.  Until I get a new power supply in that box, I had no way of recreating my ipod.

Unfortunately, this corrupted db meant I couldn't play music throught MC.  Fortunately, I had ephpod installed on my laptop, and it read the ipod no problem.

In other words, I had a solution to listening to music on my ipod, but very little functionality.  I really wanted MC to work =D

Anyway, I experimented with ephpod a little.  It has a feature "search for music missing from db" or something similar to that.  Specifically, "iPod Tools"|"Probe iPod for lost music".  It took about 30 minutes to run, total.  But it found perhaps 30 songs that existed, but weren't in the db anywhere.  IT asked me to provide the tag information for each song it found "missing".  Once I finished that laborious task, I relaunched MC, praying.

Woot.  That process fixed the db sufficiently to get me back into a state where MC can see the ipod and not crash when reading it (as of .264)

I wouldn't normally post about a competitor like this ... but for those who get caught off-guard by a db corruption, this is one way to fix it ...  

And you guys working on the ipod plugin for mc ... maybe something a little more graceful than a core might be prudent for errors generated by inability to read ipod =D  (I would click on E: to access my ipod, get a window up with no text, but a red icon.  When I clicked "ok" on this dialog, it would go away, but MC would then crash.  This is still true [before I fixed my db] as of .264)

SteveG

« Reply #242 on: October 01, 2003, 02:12:58 pm »

Everyone,

Tonight's build of MC includes the modifications to the Synch dialogue that were suggested (excluding auto synch timer) and the fix for the available space error.

ThoughtfulGorilla,

Did you try using the right click option for Rebuild Database which should also recreate your iTunesDB file from the files on the iPod?

Snuffy2,

Thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps I can implement this in a future version.

Empyrean,

You can currently move your files to a PC directory from the iPod. Once you have done this you can use the MC "Rename file from file properties" to recreate your folders. I know this is not as automated or robust as you would like, but it is something to try.

It is not possible to synch between two copies of MC.

David,

I will let others give suggestions on your space issue. I hope all is well with whatever is behind the "compassionate leave".

gpbillamil,

I guess you could achieve the same effect by boosting the Replay Gain by +12dB as well?

Maybe. I would have to test some things to answer for sure.

GaryD9,

The rating setting of zero does get copied from iPod to PC when synching the tag data. This did not used to be the case (6 or so builds ago).  The cosmetic bug is fixed, thanks.

Peter,

Can you send me a file that you know exhibits this behavior. I cannot duplicate it here. (steve @ jriver.com)

Everyone,

This thread is huge. I will close it and start a new one.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up