INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up pc-server to feed multiple pc throught the house.  (Read 1119 times)

captainbigjim

Setting up pc-server to feed multiple pc throught the house.
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:57:55 pm »

OK gang, first let me say I just got JRiver and am thrilled to death. I really like what I've seen thus far. I am by no means a pc/ computer wiz (not even close) at all. Here is my situation. I have a server with Over a thousand videos that I have ripped into MKV.  It is in my basement where I  can stream via Ethernet throughout my house to five different rooms each having its own PC where I then via HDMI feed an AVR for each room surround system. There is no problem accessing the SERVER for the movies.

I want to use JRiver on each PC for the interfaces and cover art to scan for movies in each room.  I feel confident or at least hope that there is a way I can do one set-up of the video library and thumbnails that will suffice for all the rooms making it easier to add delete and/or modify the files at each PC. Is this possible and if so how?  FYI I live alone and chances of multiple feeds to different rooms at the same time will not be an issue.  I just want to minimize and simply work load. Thanks for any help. This may be more complicated than what I need. If so is there a service that I can hire to remote in and do this.  Again I'm not a PC wiz and will appreciate any help. Thanks for your time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Setting up pc-server to feed multiple pc throught the house.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:48:31 pm »

For a guy who isn't a computer wiz, that's a little ambitious.

This is the key part of your post:
I want to use JRiver on each PC for the interfaces and cover art to scan for movies in each room. 

To do this on every "client" machine might be possible, but start with one.  If each client is using a single server, the server must be set to use "authentication" (login and password).  The client can then sync some of the changes back to the server.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Setting up pc-server to feed multiple pc throught the house.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:22:22 pm »

It is a bit ambitious, but I think you can pull it off. JRiver Media Center excels at these kinds of setups.

Can you describe how, without MC involved at all, you can access the files on the server in the basement?  Specifically what file paths do you use?  Do you have mapped network drives on all the other computers, or do you get to them via some other means?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up