INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: exFat File Downloads  (Read 1648 times)

GJH

exFat File Downloads
« on: April 22, 2015, 12:42:04 am »

I am new to JRiver and to Macs, so please forgive any stupidities.

I ripped my CD collection to an external drive on Windows in WAV and NTFS. Having spent months doing this I then decided to go down the MAC route and was advised by audiophiles to install JRiver. I was then told that I would have to reformat the drive to exFat since NTFS was read only on Macs.

Having imported the files I find I have 11 100 line items in the library which I can only recognise by the file name, but otherwise are described as 'unknown'.

What on earth should I do?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: exFat File Downloads
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 06:36:56 am »

Welcome to the forum.  You probably didn't rip with MC.  WAV tagging isn't standardized, but MC does tag WAV files.

You could probably fix the problem on a Windows Machine by using MC to fill the tags from the file properties.  It's under the Tools menu.  Try a few before you do very many.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:39:49 am »

A couple of points:

1.  Tags being stored inside WAV files isn't standardized (As Jim said).  Some programs can read what other programs write; some not so much. 
2.  AIFF format is also lossless uncompressed (like WAV), but it has standard tag support.  If you can get your original program to convert your fiels to AIFF, you might get all the tags converted at the same time.  Try doing like one album and see if JRiver can see the tags for just that album.
3.  The Fill Properties From Filename feature works on Windows and Mac versions of JRiver MC.  For it to work, the filename needs to contain everything you want:  Album, Artist, Song name, etc.  Getting it to work might be tricky depending upon how those things are encoded into the file name.
4.  ExFAT is a sort of "universal" file system (disk) format that PCs and Macs can read.  It's not ideal for either one.  I'd never use it for a machine that I was counting on for everyday use.  For the Mac, I use a Mac format like HFS+. This is also known as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Good luck on your project.

Brian.

Magne

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:33 pm »

I'm using MC20 for Mac at home and MC20 for Windows at my summer house. Audio as AIFF, and stored in exFat formatted external SSD drives, 1 TB drive for each plattform from now on. These music libraries are equal and works also as a backup for each other. This solution also allows me to switch drives between these platforms, copy library content on both platforms, no problems with tags and so on.
My experience with exFat formatted drives in nearly 2 years now and for this purpose is very good, no problem at all.
So, when using both platforms at different locations and equal library, this solution works fine for me  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up