INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC20 rip CD's with copy protection?  (Read 2775 times)

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
Can MC20 rip CD's with copy protection?
« on: April 22, 2015, 04:31:25 am »

I have ripped my entire CD-collection of about 4,000 cd's. It took about one year. Unfortunately there are a number CD's that are not playable as they are heavy distorted by noise. They are all released around year 2000 and it seems they all belongs to the Warner Bros. group with musicians like Nathalie Merchant, Mark Turner and Neil Young. EMI's Copy Protect from the same period can be ripped but not all of them can be played in my CD :o, strange enough.

Is there a way MC20 offer to rip this kind of protected CD's?

craigmcg

• World Citizen
Re: Can MC20 rip CD's with copy protection?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 06:33:40 am »

I suggest that you check out AnyDVD-HD, which is required in order for MC20 to play Blu_Ray discs due to the copy protection. It should also resolve the CD issue that you're having.

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:07:42 am »

I think you misunderstood me. The problem is not play them on my CD. The issue is that I can't rip them or to be even more correct, I can rip them but when I play them from MC20 over the DAC (Aesthetix Romulus DAC) the sound is heavy distorted and full of noise (like a radio channel out of tune).

I have heard that there are ripping soft ware, like dbPoweramp that has feature that get around this but I do not know for sure. So the question is if MC20 hav some solution for this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:11:09 am »

The advice to try AnyDVD-HD is good.  It removes copy protection.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 11:01:57 am »

There are two types of copy protection that I have noticed. Both are labeled the same as "Copy Controlled".
By looking at the shiny side of the disk you can tell what type it is.
- If there is a ring it means there is a program on it designed to auto run and stop playback/ripping.
- If there is no ring it means the audio is intentionally corrupted to create ripping errors.
Sony famously installed a rootkit from their CDs around 2006. I'm not sure how to tell if you have one of those.

If your CDs have a ring just disable autoplay and you should be good to go. I think this is all anydvd does, but could be wrong.

If your CDs don't have a ring I would return them for a refund, or try ripping with the fastest least secure method possible.
There is no way to have a secure rip.

I have one protected disc that plays perfectly fine and I have another that has clicks.

I read once that you can make an image using anydvd's clonecd then mount it to a virtual drive and rip from there error free.
I haven't tried this so I can't confirm.

I recently re-purchased some protected CDs from Japan because the Japanese versions have the ring where the North American versions didn't.
These albums were awesome so I can reluctantly justify it. My other protected CDs are separated and the rips are not in my library.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:18:53 pm »

Can't speak from experience but if I was in your shoes and I wanted an option that didn't require another software purchase, I'd give EAC a go if MC doesn't cut through. It's well used around the place so you should find plenty of comment on the web.

If it doesn't give you joy, then you could always go down the path lined with your own gold.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 02:40:12 am »

The advice to try AnyDVD-HD is good.  It removes copy protection.
I do not follow you... I'm talking about ripping files to MC20. CD's marked "Copy protect" is not an issue. I can rip them but strange enough I can't play them on my CD player. So for those I have burned new cd's from the ripped files that works on my cd player.

The other and more serious case is CD's from mainly Warner Bros, with artists like Nathalie Merchant and Neil Young. They work on the CD player but not as ripped files which sound as pink noise. On those CD's there is no information but there is the "ring" engraved.

Unfortunately record companies does not reply to customers any longer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up