INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should PCM> DSD conversion work on the fly for MC 20 Linux as DLNA server?  (Read 2908 times)

Norton

• Recent member

I've only recently started to play with on the fly conversion in server mode, using my Bryston BDP as renderer.
PCM upsampling works fine, but when I choose to convert to DSD (as DoP)  my DAC indicates it's still playing   PCM as per source.
Native DSD (64 and 128) plays fine via the Bryston to DAC from JRiver DLNA server, and both PCM upsampling and PCM>DSD work correctly outside of DLNA when using JRiver direct into the DAC.

Anyone know if DSD conversion over DLNA should work (in Linux) at the moment?  If so what are correct settings (I've tried various options without result)

Thanks

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

There is no DLNA conversion to DSD. If you look at the audio formats supported for conversion on the server side of MC in the DLNA server settings you'll see that.

Norton

• Recent member

There is no DLNA conversion to DSD. If you look at the audio formats supported for conversion on the server side of MC in the DLNA server settings you'll see that.

Yet the DSP studio options, including DSD conversion, can be accessed under the DLNA server settings.  What I've subsequently realised is that it's not just DSD conversion, but that ( as far as I can tell) none of the DSP studio settings actually do anything under DLNA, so not sure why they are even presented as an option.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

The DSP options work for DLNA, with one exception, the Output Format tab does not, since its strictly speaking not "output", but just used for conversion to another format, which is then sent over the network.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Norton

• Recent member

The DSP options work for DLNA, with one exception, the Output Format tab does not, since its strictly speaking not "output", but just used for conversion to another format, which is then sent over the network.

Thanks for the definitive, if slightly disappointing response.  I don't really have a technical understanding of the subject, does this mean that the nature of the technology is such that no DLNA server can offer  PCM> DSD conversion, or is this just particular to JRiver?
Pages: [1]   Go Up