INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote bug report: Jerky scrolling  (Read 4416 times)

SavantGarde

• Recent member
JRemote bug report: Jerky scrolling
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:37:48 pm »

Some bugs I've noticed on my 4th gen. iPad running iOS 8.3 and JRemote 3.10:

• Often when I try to scroll to the top of the metadata pane the text jerks down again, making it nigh impossible to get to the top.
  • Sometimes when I turn my iPad from landscape to portrait view, the GUI gets messed up with parts ending up in the wrong places.
  • Sometimes the Now playing view shows an old Now playing list and the wrong album art for the currently playing track, while the bottom pane, at the same time, shows the correct information including the correct album art. This problem can be solved be reloading the Now playing list from within JRemote, but I think the playlist should be updated automatically, since the current behaviour doesn't serve any useful purpose.

SavantGarde

• Recent member
Re: JRemote bug report: Jerky scrolling
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 03:46:07 pm »

I thought this was the place to report bugs. How come there's no response from the developers  ?

JRemote isn't free software. I payed for it and expect it to work properly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 04:37:47 pm »

We don't reply to every post.  We do read them.

Priority bugs are those that are common to several people and that can be reproduced.

It all takes time.

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 03:23:44 am »

We don't reply to every post.  We do read them.

Priority bugs are those that are common to several people and that can be reproduced.

It all takes time.
OK, then. Thanks for clarifying.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:48:01 pm »

Often when I try to scroll to the top of the metadata pane the text jerks down again, making it nigh impossible to get to the top.

I can't reproduce this, assuming I understand what you mean, on my iPad 3.  And if there is any device that is going to have a weird bug like that, it'd probably be an iPad 3. So... Not sure.  I'd try deleting and re-adding the app to your device. I've had this fix issues with JRemote in the past (and plenty of other apps).

Sometimes when I turn my iPad from landscape to portrait view, the GUI gets messed up with parts ending up in the wrong places.

Unfortunately, rotation in UIKit is all broken in iOS8.  The 8.3 update improved things (my iPhone 6 used to get stuck all the time in landscape and refuse to rotate until you force-quit apps), but the "keyboard/panel/partially rotated" bug is still there.  Here are just a few lovely examples (in Apple apps):
https://twitter.com/ronkorving/status/543752566698287104
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26928528/ios-8-orientation-issues-keyboard-ends-up-in-incorrect-position

So, not saying there isn't something they can do, but this problem is pretty widespread and applies even to Apple's first-party apps.

Sometimes the Now playing view shows an old Now playing list and the wrong album art for the currently playing track, while the bottom pane, at the same time, shows the correct information including the correct album art. This problem can be solved be reloading the Now playing list from within JRemote, but I think the playlist should be updated automatically, since the current behaviour doesn't serve any useful purpose.

I still see this occasionally, though it seems to be way better than with older versions for me now.  Updating the album artwork does lag behind the file starting playback, but it usually fixes itself now.

But, not always.  Usually once it gets "out of sync" if you do next/prev track once or twice, it fixes itself.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 05:06:56 pm »

I can't reproduce this, assuming I understand what you mean, on my iPad 3.  And if there is any device that is going to have a weird bug like that, it'd probably be an iPad 3. So... Not sure.  I'd try deleting and re-adding the app to your device. I've had this fix issues with JRemote in the past (and plenty of other apps).
Tried deleting app, restarting iPad and then re-installing app. The issue is still there, but seems to be less severe now. Doesn't happen as often and it's easier to break the "scrolling-loop". To clarify: the issue consists in the scrolling stopping as if it had reached the top of the metadata pane although it hasn't – the scrolling text bounces back down, just as it normally would when trying to scroll past the top, as if hitting an invisible barrier.

Unfortunately, rotation in UIKit is all broken in iOS8.  The 8.3 update improved things (my iPhone 6 used to get stuck all the time in landscape and refuse to rotate until you force-quit apps), but the "keyboard/panel/partially rotated" bug is still there.  Here are just a few lovely examples (in Apple apps):
https://twitter.com/ronkorving/status/543752566698287104
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26928528/ios-8-orientation-issues-keyboard-ends-up-in-incorrect-position
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be the issue I have. I was a bit vague in my earlier description. I've been able to narrow it down now. Steps to reproduce: Landscape orientation –> Now Playing view –> Tap "i" to open metadata pane –> Change orientation to portrait –> The action bar (on top in landscape) will now be in the middle (as it should) covering the metadata pane text (which it probably shouldn't).

Playing around with this, I also found out that if the metadata pane is open when changing the iPad's screen orientation, the "x" won't close the pane in the new orientation and "i" has to be used instead.

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 05:19:37 pm »

Here's a screen capture illustrating the second issue.

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 05:31:47 pm »

I found another report of the scrolling problem I'm having:

I haven't noticed it in the thumbnail screens. I have noticed it in the detailed 'info' pane on the iPad. Once I scroll down in the info pane, I'm unable to scroll back up to the top of the info pane. […]

Apparently it's reproducible, after all.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 12:17:36 am »

I found another report of the scrolling problem I'm having:

Apparently it's reproducible, after all.

Interesting.  I tried quite a bit to reproduce it, and could not.  I wonder what is different on your end?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 12:18:50 am »

Here's a screen capture illustrating the second issue.

Yeah. That looks like a classic iOS 8 broken rotation problem. The examples I found above weren't the best I've seen, but they were the best I could find in a brief Google search this afternoon.  iOS developers have been complaining about it on Twitter basically non-stop since the first iOS 8 betas.

I'm not saying there's not something JRiver can do, or that this is necessarily one of those cases, but LOTS of apps are having issues like that (including some of Apple's own).  Something is still broken with rotation on iOS 8.3, unfortunately.

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 04:40:36 pm »

Yeah. That looks like a classic iOS 8 broken rotation problem. The examples I found above weren't the best I've seen, but they were the best I could find in a brief Google search this afternoon.  iOS developers have been complaining about it on Twitter basically non-stop since the first iOS 8 betas.
Aha! You may have been right, then  ;)

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 01:12:06 pm »

Since I've now demonstrated that a member of the MC Beta Team "bspachman" also has reported the scrolling problem, proving it to be reproducible and common to at least two people, will you please consider permitting the developer "Lespaul" take a quick look at the code, to see what might be the cause?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:07 pm »

Work has continued on JRemote for iOS and there will be updates coming.

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 08:35:40 am »

Work has continued on JRemote for iOS and there will be updates coming.

Great  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up