INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is YADB down?  (Read 3791 times)

bvm

• World Citizen
Is YADB down?
« on: September 29, 2003, 04:33:34 pm »

For several hours now, when I try to look up a CD, I quickly get the notification "Failed to connect to YADB server".  Is it down, or should I suspect other problems?  (And how might I tell the difference?)

(Running version 9.0.180.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is YADB down?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 04:39:37 pm »

I think that yadb is running.  It could be something else.

Does anyone else see a problem?

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 09:36:00 pm »

Well, if the server is believed to be up, do you have any suggestions for diagnosing the problem?  I still can't get to YADB, though I don't have any other network connectivity problems.

liam

• Recent member
  • I think therefore I am confused
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 07:27:33 am »

I know it may sound weird but I found that by putting the CD into another drive the YADB connection is rectified.

I just put three CD's into my TDK and MC9 couldn't connect to YADB. Put them into my Pioneer DVD ROM and BAM! YADB connection and ripped without a problem.

Weird, but hey, it worked for me.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 07:59:52 am »

Try www.yadb.com and see if that works.

Working with one drive but not another is weird.

Keep me posted on details please.

j

liam

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 08:15:47 am »

Hi John

Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed the other drive would be different, but I read a post in ipodlounge that rang true for me...

iPodlounge Forums > iPod Windows > Media Center 9 > YADB Heads-up

"Today I switched from using my CDROM reader for ripping to using my Sony DVD/CD writer... Since I switched to my DVD/CD burner, even the most obscure CDs are being found at YADB. "

* and *

"However, you're right my DVD-ROM did pick up from YADB hits that my CD-RW missed..."

Hmmm, MC9 or the drives or YADB or Microsoft or perhaps a butterfly flapped it's wings in Barbados  ::)

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 09:04:09 am »

No, changing drives didn't help (and boy would I be disappointed if I had only one drive and that was the fix).

> Try www.yadb.com and see if that works.

Try what?  I can view the web page that lives at its http service, if that's what you mean.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 10:31:02 am »

Hi bvm,

The web server log shows your access of www.yadb.com, but not any other access (from that same IP address, and it's the one your post is logged to). Are you trying to access YADB from the same machine/internet connection that you are browsing on?

Start looking at network connections: are you running a proxy server? Firewall? Anything that would stop your request from reaching the server?

j

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2003, 10:39:57 am »

>  Are you trying to access YADB from the same machine/internet connection that you are browsing on?

Yup.  Of course, it's a PPP connection, so the IP address will vary.  To remove that ambiguity, just now I tried a "Update from CD database" immediately followed by a visit to www.yadb.com, so if anything got to you, the IP address would be the same (looks to be 64.172.180.123 at the moment).

> are you running a proxy server? Firewall? Anything that would stop your request from reaching the server?

The only thing between me and the internet is a Netgear router, which does no outbound filtering.  And connections to YADB had never been a problem for me before yesterday.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 10:52:20 am »

I see the browser connection (you visited the stats page this time) but no YADB access (which uses the http protocol as well). Check control-panel networking and see if there is more than 1 network connection. Maybe MC is trying to use the wrong connection?

Try:

http://www.yadb.com/cgi-bin/cgi-lookup.cgi?hash=-468864752&offsets=183,18180,34315,46415,62578,79590,96045,111655,128175,145093,165895,179115,195520,202448,223205,241510

and see if you get a result back.

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2003, 10:56:28 am »

http://www.yadb.com/cgi-bin/cgi-lookup.cgi?hash=-468864752&offsets=183,18180,34315,46415,62578,79590,96045,111655,128175,145093,165895,179115,195520,202448,223205,241510

renders

Procol Harum 1989 Rock 3507 Procol Harum 1 1989 Rock Procol Harum 2 1989 Rock Procol Harum 3 1989 Rock Procol Harum 4 1989 Rock Procol Harum 5 1989 Rock Procol Harum 6 1989 Rock Procol Harum 7 1989 Rock Procol Harum 8 1989 Rock Procol Harum 9 1989 Rock Procol Harum 10 1989 Rock Procol Harum 11 1989 Rock Procol Harum 12 1989 Rock Procol Harum 13 1989 Rock Procol Harum 14 1989 Rock Procol Harum 15 1989 Rock Procol Harum 16 1989 Rock
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2003, 10:58:36 am »

Hi King, howzit going. I forgot to put in the special code that detects if it is your address and sends you a virus because you always follow the links I mean for someone else to follow :)

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2003, 11:12:26 am »

;D

maybe it is because i have like 10 cats

basicly I just wanted to fix the url for him do to the link was broken in your post.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2003, 11:16:11 am »

AHhh. thanks. That'll keep you off the virus list for a while...

j

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 11:22:17 am »

Yeah, I get the same results as KingSparta (after removing the space from the url).

> Check control-panel networking and see if there is more than 1 network connection.

Well, there is -- something called "1394 Connection", which I probably got when I installed my firewire card.  But disabling it doesn't help MC.

There's also a "Local Area Connection 2" that has been there forever, disabled.

And I had a disconnected dialup entry, which I deleted just for the heck of it.  That didn't help, either.

And I have a Broadband entry leftover from before installing the router, but it's also disabled.

(This is all on Windows XP Pro, by the way.)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2003, 11:28:19 am »

I'm pretty sure something changed on your machine to make it stop working - you can access the web page and it should work.

Anything you can think of between the day before yesterday and yesterday, especially if it had something to do with networking?

Install any software?

j

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 11:41:20 am »

> Anything you can think of between the day before yesterday and yesterday, especially if it had something to do with networking?

> Install any software?

Nope.  The interval wasn't even that great.  I had ripped a couple CDs Monday around noon just fine.  Then when I went to do some more a couple hours later, it failed.  Nothing remarkable in between that I can recall, and certainly no software installation.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2003, 02:55:20 pm »

More data... to get some more idea of what traffic is going on, I installed ZoneAlarm, which should tell me about any process that tries to connect to the internet.

When I did Update from CD database, ZoneAlarm did not tell me about a connection attempt.

When I did Help|Check for Updates, ZoneAlarm did not tell me about a connection attempt.  MC's error message: Failed to connect to a server.  Reason: Unknown.  URL: http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/mc_data/update_v9.xml (I can get to that url fine from my web browser.)

When I did Help|Plus Features, ZoneAlarm reported Media Core requesting access to http://www.jrmediacenter.com/, destination IP: 0.0.0.0:HTTP (which I guess is not actually an external connection attempt, just asking my default web browser to open a page).

So it sures seems like MC has somehow forgotten how to access the Internet.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2003, 06:03:04 pm »

Problem solved, I think.

On the rare occasions when I use MSIE (I usually use Opera), it sometimes pops up a message box saying the page I want is not available and would I like to connect to the net (or words to that effect).  I've never understood the circumstances under which it asks this, and since I have an always-on connection, it's a nonsensical question.

At any rate, a while ago I happened to encounter that dialog box.  After telling it yes, connect, you idiot, I went back to MC and found that its YADB connection is again working.

This suggests to me that MC is failing to handle whatever error IE handles in asking the user that question.  I'm sure some of you know much more about Windows internals than I and can tell what that really means :-).

liam

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2003, 07:12:33 pm »

I am also using XP Pro through a Netgear router ( WGR614 ) attached to a Netgear DSL modem ( DM602 ) and the connection is working fine most of the time ( if it doesn't swapping drives fixes it )

I've always found that if something that used to work now doesn't, then a change has been made in the mean time. What changed? Perhaps Windows did an auto update, perhaps you upgraded Netgear firmware?

If you installed Zone Alarm ( which I used to use ) as a firewall and your Netgear router also has a firewall ( depending on model ) that might cause some issues.

Does MC9 use HTTP protocol to access YADB servers? If so, is it browser dependant? I wonder...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2003, 02:46:22 am »

it sometimes pops up a message box saying the page I want is not available and would I like to connect to the net (or words to that effect).  

you may have some settings wrong in your conection if you get this message
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up