INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC and Synology NAS set up  (Read 6154 times)

OliS

• Recent member
MC and Synology NAS set up
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:42:48 pm »

Hi,

I am somewhat new and struggle with some basic set up questions. I have MC installed on my desktop. My music is on a Synology DS 214 which is connected via USB Light Link 24/96 from Bel Canto to my Bel Canto DAC. The house is wired by ethernet but wireless is also available.  The set up works, but I have to use the Synology app (iphone or desktop) as a remote and can't use MC as a player or jremote. MC as a player works but only to the speakers of the desktop. I have two main questions.

1) How can I use MC as a player and jremote in this setup ie is there a way where MC installed on the desktop can act as the player while the music server remains the Synology NAS connected to the DAC via the USB Light Link?
2) Assuming a setup connecting the DAC to my desktop works, would the sound quality be better or worse because my desktop is involved and music needs to travel through the ethernet.

Sorry for the basic questions, but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC and Synology NAS set up
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 04:32:30 am »

I've got to run out now, but I don't know how this "light link" works -- looking briefly at a vendor website as I don't have the time to look into it further right now, but it look like they are referring to optical cable. So, it seems like you are not limited to using it between a NAS and a DAC, but you could use it between a PC and a DAC (I'm guessing here but I take it distance is an issue?) 

So without knowing I'l just put this out there

Think of the NAS not as a server but just as a big external drive for your shared media. Then you have a "media server" (JRiver) a "controller" (JRiver and/or JRemote) and you want JRiver as a "Renderer" (the player if you will). Right now you are only using JRiver as a controller or maybe as a media server and controller (not sure)

AS you are already cabled with ethernet (gigabyte network?). WIthout knowing any details or constraints due to your room/house etc. What I would do is connect the NAS via ethernet to the PC with JRiver on it acting as a server (you could have multiple PCs/devices as clients too; JRemote could also become a client btw). Then you connect the PC to the DAC directly (you can use SPDIF optical out if you want). Doing it this way you get the best of everything because JRiver is acting as renderer and server. You have a fast connection via ethernet from your NAS (absolutely no quality loss - if the network is very slow, you might have issues with lags for video).

I can't tell if this "light link" is even necessary, unless your PC only has a USB output (I don't like USB cables longer than 1 meter, actually I don't like USB connections at all if I had a choice  ;D but thats just me!)

AS for you number 2, the sound will be no worse, and almost for sure will be better ... because JRemote is the renderer. An ethernet connection to your PC is fine (even newer WIFI connections can be fine these days) - JRiver does its magic after that. There are other benefits of setting up this way.

The important connection is between the machine with JRiver on it and the DAC -- the choice of what type of cable depending on your DAC inputs, distance etc. and personal preference to a degree -- some people like HDMI for multi-channel; I prefer optical over coax if its a long connection, but I'm no engineer (I'm not a believer in spending fortunes on cables either :)

Maybe a little more specifics on limitations imposed by your room layout and some info on this light link thingy?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:42:22 pm »

You are trying to have two different devices be music servers at the same time and have one control the other.  It might be possible to make it work, but you are just asking for trouble IMHO.

If you want to use MC:
Store your music on the Synology.
Have MC be your main library and server for the music (not the Synology software).
Hook your PC running MC to your DAC and play the music back directly from MC.

2 is FUD.  Your music will not become degraded by being transferred over Ethernet.

Personally i have all of my shared music and video content on my Synology 1812+ and play it all back using MC/JRemote.  One exception is that until JRemote can cache content, I am still using iTunes Match for 'on the road' music when I am offline (like sitting on an airplane).

OliS

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:17:11 pm »

Thanks for both of your replies. The issue is that the PC is far from the DAC and I was hoping to use the network to connect all devices. I am not sure I can get a PC to DAC connection unless I a) have a cable running through the room(s) or b) get another PC next to the DAC and install MC there. Both are unattractive solutions. I saw that Bel Canto has the RefStream as a ethernet renderer. Presumably that would work but costs me another $2500 which I didnt want to spend. Are there any other less expensive options?

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 04:10:37 am »

b) get another PC next to the DAC and install MC there. Both are unattractive solutions. I saw that Bel Canto has the RefStream as a ethernet renderer. Presumably that would work but costs me another $2500 which I didnt want to spend. Are there any other less expensive options?
Why is another "PC" unattractive? Physically? or financially?

How about the Id that JRiver sells for 300 to 400 USD (not sure if the promo is still on http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php?title=Id&section=7#Ordering This is almost plug and play, you don't seem to be interested in video rendering so this will cost 50 less than your "Light Link" thingy.

There are also NUCs which are more powerful, some can run pretty close to HQ video. ($500-800)There are also very attractive enclosures for these small boards which go well with High end gear (say +100$). And there are miniature sticks on the way from Intel wich are even tinier if you are willing to learn to be a "geek" ;)

All of these solution are silent (or virtually below the noise floor, 95% of the time if not all of the time), and some of them can look as snobby as a Naim or Linn rack of gear  :D

For me I'm pretty strapped for money these days, so I understand that even 100$ for something that one doesn't need could be a barrier. :-[ But if you are talking about 2500USD network players, frankly you just don't need to spend any where near that AND on top of it you could be losing functionality from JRiver; not to mention the frustration of the initial configuration.  

BTW - there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to the JRiver Id here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=42.0 so there are a bunch of people that could help. and no I won't get a commision! I don't sell hardware and nobody here pays me ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up