INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of strange video playback issues  (Read 3775 times)

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
A couple of strange video playback issues
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:09:52 pm »

Recently (last couple of builds), I have been experience some strange tv playback issues:

1 - While recording a program, when I try to play it back on the server, it is played in slow motion.  This issue was resolved previously, but it has returned.

2 - While playing a recorded program on the client, it will play fine for about 5 minutes, then the video will slow down and the audio will continue as normal.

I am using RO standard on all computers.  I have captured a log of issue number 2.  I have tried everything I can think of, so I am open to suggestions.

I am able to play the same program using gizmo with no issues, so I know it isn't the recording.

Alex

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: A couple of strange video playback issues
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 06:46:46 am »

Are the clients using the same version of MC as the server?  What version is it?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:32:58 am »

Try copying one of the Shows to the Client to see whether or not the behavior is related to network streaming issues.
Also, I've seen glitches in my recordings sometimes when the OTA signal is weak. The weak signal (loss of program data) causes weird behavior when played back in MC.
If it is a streaming issue, usually I can backup (rewind) and replay the same section of the Show and then it will play correctly.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:31:33 am »

Sorry, yes the client is at the same version of MC as the server - 20.0.100.

I will try moving a copy of a show over to the client and playing it there.  Both machines are hardwired, but it still could be a network issue.  I will check that tonight.

Thanks,

Alex

culliganman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 12:22:03 pm »

Recently (last couple of builds), I have been experience some strange tv playback issues:

1 - While recording a program, when I try to play it back on the server, it is played in slow motion.  This issue was resolved previously, but it has returned.

2 - While playing a recorded program on the client, it will play fine for about 5 minutes, then the video will slow down and the audio will continue as normal.

I am using RO standard on all computers.  I have captured a log of issue number 2.  I have tried everything I can think of, so I am open to suggestions.

I am able to play the same program using gizmo with no issues, so I know it isn't the recording.

Alex

I am interested in what you find out about the #1 slow motion playback.
Twice I have went to watch a recording and it starts in extremely slow motion.
I restart and all is fine.
This just started happening, my version is 20.0.93

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 06:49:00 am »

On problem #2 above,

Try copying one of the Shows to the Client to see whether or not the behavior is related to network streaming issues.

I tried this and I still saw the issue, so I don't think it is network related.  I think this is somehow related to a windows update.  There was an update from microsoft, so I installed it and rebooted.  Everything ran fine for about 10 minutes, then the problem started again.  I checked and there was another windows update, so I installed it.  Same result.  It looks like I have an update that microsoft is trying to install, but it isn't completing properly, so it keeps trying and this is causing some problem on the client.  The client is running windows 7.

I will try a few more things tonight, but I wanted to put out an update in case is sparks any more ideas.

Alex

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 09:20:54 am »

Windows updates have broken my system more than once  :(
I don't know why I feel compelled to keep updating. Regardless, I don't do the "automated" update. I turn off that feature and manually look for updates from time to time - and even then I usually read about what the update is for before letting it install.

Back to your issue. Are you seeing this slow motion playback on all video or just one specific video? What file type are you having trouble with (jtv or ts or ?)?
I've seen/had bad recordings (where OTA signal drops off during recording) cause problems for MC during playback.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:37:28 am »

If you haven't done so, go to the web site of the manufacturer of your video hardware and try updating the video driver.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 03:31:21 pm »

I will double check the video driver.  I did the automatic check, but I will go to website and check.

I am seeing this on all video files.  It is on both .ts and .jtv.  I record in .ts, but it is happening to both live video and recorded video.  I tried rolling back to an older version of MC20, just to see if there was any improvement (there wasn't).  I am not seeing this on other clients or the server, so I am pretty sure it is not the actual recording, but something in the playback on this machine.

I have turned off automatic updates as well.

Thanks,

Alex

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:26 pm »

Ok, I checked the driver and I have the latest from the NVIDIA website. - No change

I ran a few more tests today.

Here is what I know:
Start playing a .ts file from the server to the client
after about 5 min., the sound continues normally, but the video is slow motion
after another 15 sec., the sound starts to stutter
after another 5 min, the video starts running in fast forward.
at this point, if I skip forward or back, the video and audio sync up and everything is fine for about 5 min., then repeat

Any help is appreciated,

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 07:10:26 am »

This still feels like a networking issue.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 08:08:31 pm »

This still feels like a networking issue.

I agree.  It really does.  I will try using a local file again and see how it reacts.

Thanks,

Alex

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 05:25:04 am »

I updated to 20.0.103 on both the client and the server.  We watched about 2 hours of recorded tv last night with no issues.  I am not sure what it was, I still think it was something with the network connection.  Regardless, it seems to have gone away for now.

Thanks for the help,

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up