INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Seeking While On-the-Fly Video Streaming in JRemote  (Read 1634 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Video playback in JRemote now works quite well, at least on my home network, and handles all of my typical file types without too much drama.  There are a handful of frustrating bugs, but other than that, it is working great.

However... There's one thing without which it is very difficult to use JRemote to replace AirVideo for most of my mobile-device video playback needs: Seeking behavior.  And bookmarking would be very, very good.

Seeking:

Right now, in JRemote when doing on-the-fly converted streaming, the player scrub bar works as a Live player, and "expands" as MC converts the video on the server-side.  This means you can't seek ahead until JRemote has "obtained" enough of a buffer to get where you want to go in the show.

That's a big problem for most of my recordings, because they have commercials and stuff at the beginning.  I have to sit and watch the ads, or pause it and wait and wait like an animal.  In a perfect world, it would show the full duration of the episode, and let you seek ahead of the current buffer (upon which, on the server-side, it would stop and restart the conversion from that point).  This is how AirVideo works, and it works decently well.*

In any case, this makes JRemote all-but-useless to play most of my videos except movies, because they usually have commercials, especially at the beginning.

Bookmarking:

This is odd. Bookmarking seems to function between iOS devices using JRemote, but not between MC itself and JRemote.  It seems like this could be much more seamless.  The dream, of course, is to stop watching something on the TV, pick up your device, and pick up where you left off.

* Though, it does get "stuck" pretty frequently, and JRemote doesn't seem to do that as much, except when it overruns the buffer, so there's that I guess.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Request: Seeking While On-the-Fly Video Streaming in JRemote
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:23:33 pm »

+1 for seeking ability

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Request: Seeking While On-the-Fly Video Streaming in JRemote
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 05:31:52 am »

+1  I also revert to AirVideo for streaming videos to my tablet and seeking is one of the reasons the other one being the ability to convert and download to my device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up