INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQ] Alternative TV Recording Location  (Read 1879 times)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
[REQ] Alternative TV Recording Location
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:44:28 pm »

Is there a function to use some simple logic working from meta data tags (say) to select and direct TV recording to alternate locations?

A function like this could be used to record to a NAS but if the NAS is offline, then record files locally.

I'm pretty sure that an out of the box function is not there (put in a search and see a blank) but is there any simple way of configuring MC to achieve the objective?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Alternative TV Recording Location?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 11:41:14 am »

AFAIK there is no way to change the record location, it is a fixed single folder specified manually in the Options.

Using a rule that checks any specified File Property IS an excellent suggestion, so you should modify the Subject line, remove the "?" and insert [REQ].

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Alternative TV Recording Location?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:14:11 pm »

A function like this could be used to record to a NAS but if the NAS is offline, then record files locally.

Have a look at what Symbolic Links do if the target is not available. They may default to writing to the directory in which the link resides.

You would also have to confirm that MC will accept a Symbolic Link as a target for the recording folder. Plus, if the NAS is unavailable, then becomes available during a recording, you may get strange results, like files split over two locations.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

astromo

• MC Beta Team
[REQ] Alternative TV Recording Location
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 04:34:42 am »

Have a look at what Symbolic Links do if the target is not available. They may default to writing to the directory in which the link resides.

Good idea but as far as I can make out, if a symbolic link loses it's target then the target is orphaned and there would be nowhere for the data to go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link#Overview
I believe that for the link to work, the apparent local folder that the target is linked to must not exist for the link to be valid.

As kstuart suggests, I'll kick this upstairs as a request but if nothing else happens I'll just work to a default plan of recording to a local drive.

I can report that if you do record to a network drive and there's a glitch in the network communication, then the recording borks and stops. There's no fallback, contingency or default to another location. There also appears to be a lack of a function to poll or check for reconnection and then re-establish data transfer.

Not sure how many out there would make use of this kind of approach or do the majority of users simply record to a drive that has plenty of room on it?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: [REQ] Alternative TV Recording Location
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 06:34:35 pm »

do the majority of users simply record to a drive that has plenty of room on it?

That is what I do, then manage the space and recordings, moving them to other drives if necessary.

With 6 and 8 TB drives now available, and with 24/7 versions available, it seems like a reasonable solution.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 11:28:14 am »

That is what I do, then manage the space and recordings, moving them to other drives if necessary.

With 6 and 8 TB drives now available, and with 24/7 versions available, it seems like a reasonable solution.
"24/7 versions" of what ?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 06:02:52 pm »

"24/7 versions" of what ?

24/7 versions of hard disks.

Seagate and Western Digital now make a few different ranges of disks that are designed to run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The WD Red and Purple are the main two they supply, which are NAS and Video Surveillance drives from memory. I use the WD Red, which last time I looked were available up to 6TB. Seagate have an 8TB archival drive, which I also believe is 24/7 capable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up