INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: operate as remote for JRiver but operate like audio play on iOS  (Read 2364 times)

neverknown

I've been using JRemote as a music player for networked audio, which is pretty cool. But I'd love to be able to remote control audio playback (on the JRiver comp) with the same (or similar) interface and direct control, used to play audio on an iOS device.

While in AUDIO rather than REMOTE in JRemote, there could be a switch which would transfer playback to the comp running JRiver, but retain the AUDIO interface. Better still would be an on/off switch controlling playback on both the JRiver comp and JRemote device, much like you might control zones. Then the JRemote device would become a virtual wireless speaker as well.

I expect this would be a far more troublesome thing than just adding a switch, so another possibility could be adding an AUDIO REMOTE section at the head of JRemote, which might appear much like the AUDIO inferface, but control the JRiver comp like REMOTE

Anyway - hope that's not too much of a headache of an idea, thanks. Of course maybe I just didn't search hard enough for this sort of functionality, in which case please direct me

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: operate as remote for JRiver but operate like audio play on iOS
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:39:42 am »

I've been using JRemote as a music player for networked audio, which is pretty cool. But I'd love to be able to remote control audio playback (on the JRiver comp) with the same (or similar) interface and direct control, used to play audio on an iOS device.
Just change the zone to "Player".  Then it will play there.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 05:35:49 pm »

Yes. JRemote can both:
* Stream files from your Media Center system to your iOS device.
* Remote control a copy of Media Center and play files (not just music) there.

You switch this by switching Zones in JRemote.  This is the "bulls eye" looking icon available on the Playing Now screen.  It will show any zones you have defined on the Media Center server, and one called "Device" (which is the one that streams to your iOS device). Otherwise, it works identically.

So, it is aptly named:

* It allows you to access and play your Media Center Library "remotely" (to the device)
* It is a Remote Control for Media Center
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

neverknown

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:05:23 pm »

Great thanks, that's pretty easy. So I take it there's no way to play through the 'player' and 'this device' at the same time - like a wireless speaker? Or of changing between "player' and 'this device' (or visa versa) and seamlessly continuing playback?

Also got a prob with doubling instances of audio tracks in JRiver and JRemote, running 19.0.163, certainly haven't got doubled actual files. Any ideas?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 12:00:06 am »

Also got a prob with doubling instances of audio tracks in JRiver and JRemote, running 19.0.163, certainly haven't got doubled actual files. Any ideas?

That's a wildly different question and would be best served in its own thread.

But, MC is a database, that has entries for every file you imported. If you moved files or something, you probably have a bunch of dead links to the files in the old locations.

Without more detail about them, I couldn't help (again, though... it doesn't belong in the Remotes sub forum).  You might not get much help if you post in the MC19 board now, since it is archived. But that shouldn't be impacted by the difference between MC19 and MC20, so you can probably ask over on the MC20 board.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 12:01:31 am »

Great thanks, that's pretty easy. So I take it there's no way to play through the 'player' and 'this device' at the same time - like a wireless speaker? Or of changing between "player' and 'this device' (or visa versa) and seamlessly continuing playback?

You can switch back and forth between the zones and it'll keep playing. It can do both at the same time.

If you want it to play the same thing (like a particular playlist) to the device and to an external zone, simultaneously, and have them kept in sync, it can't do that.

neverknown

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 12:36:42 am »

thanks again, yeah was hoping for synced transfer or replication of 'now playing'

thought my other question was a bit cheeky, based on what you said, I might try clearing the library and reimporting everything freshly. I did move the media some time ago - that prob confused it

thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up