INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mismatched Album info  (Read 1669 times)

BlueRiver

• Recent member
Mismatched Album info
« on: May 13, 2015, 01:52:38 pm »

I have a 6-disc set of physics lectures.  The system automatically recognized disc1, probably due to the intro making two tracks of the disc, and thus easier to identify.  The other discs are a mess though.  Two thinks it's Jethro Tull.  Three and Four asked me to choose from a list of multiple matches, which had the right album to select.  Five has multiple matches, but the right one isn't listed.  And Six just ripped right away, but with default info, calling it "Track01".

I tried editing Two, but it still showed the wrong info after I changed it.

How do I force the program to let me choose the album manually?  If this isn't an option, how do I easily make all 7 tracks have the same info/art?

Much thanks in advance if anyone can guide me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Mismatched Album info
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:16:48 pm »

Set the tags for "Album" and "Disc #".

BlueRiver

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 02:25:57 pm »

Ok, assuming I haven't used this program that much...

What does that mean?  Edit them individually?  Because I tried doing that and it reverted the cover art to Jethro Tull and some of the metadata.  So some changes were kept, some weren't.

Is there no way to tell the program that's not the right album?  It recognized the other albums, so I know the series is in the database.  Plus, editing just a couple things means half the tracks will have all the info, and half will only have what I edited manually.  Is that the only way to do this?  This seems like a simple thing.

Also, I can't seem to tell the program to forget about my K drive.  It's a backup of my music, I don't need the thing double listing EVERYTHING.  Changed the auto-import to just E and it still lists them twice if I look at stuff.  I even added "Exclude K".  Still doubles.  I don't want the program to EVER look at K, but it seems like there's no way to turn that off.

This seems like a high frustration curve to trying this program out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:30:18 pm »

Let's leave your frustration out of the discussion.

In my signature, there is a link called "Getting Started".  It leads other useful places.

On our wiki, you could read about "Tagging".  Tag editing is done in the Action Window in the lower left corner.

Also read about "Importing" files.  You can set the locations you want imported.

You probably won't get good data when you rip physics lecture CD's.  You will have to enter it manually.

BlueRiver

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 02:49:42 pm »

It recognized 3 of them, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to recognize the other 3.  Fine, I have to do it manually.

My problem with the K drive isn't answered in the wiki on importing.  It didn't even ask me where I wanted it to check for audio files when it started.  It just did it, and now I can't remove them.

You're right.  I could spend hours reading wikis and forum posts, or I can post here and hope someone will help me cut right to the solution to the specific problem I'm having so I can decide whether the program is worth the time to learn it.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:14:45 pm »

Let's take your questions one at a time:

1.  Setting the album, artist, etc info on your lecture CDs:

If you're looking for FULL track information, title of each track, etc, I'm not sure there's an automatic way to do that in JRiver Media Center.  You might be able to use an external program like MusicBrainz Picard, which is able to do a lot of this matching stuff sort of automatically.  But this is an unusual case because it's not music, so the meta data is probably not NEARLY as well known as something popular, or even semi-popular.

Now, we *can* pretty easily group them all together as the same album and same artist, assuming your first 2 CDs have that info filled out properly.  You need to open the Tagging Pane to do this.  Select one of the tracks that is correct.  Now *also* select one or more tracks that are incorrect.  Open the Tagging Pane by right clicking and selecting Tag.

In the Tagging Pane on the left, you'll see album, artist, etc.  Click the down arrow next to Artist and it will pull down to show you the two (or more) Artists listed in the files you have selected.  Just click on the one that's correct and it will be set for ALL the files you selected.  You can repeat this for Album as well, to set the Album correctly.

Try this on a few files to make sure it works.  Once it does, you can do all the rest in one shot!  Now, to group them all as the same album, you'll want to set the Disc # field on each disk.  Select all of disc 1, open the Tagging Pane, and enter the disc number.  Boom, it's set.  Do that with Disc 2, 3, etc, and they should all group properly as the same "album".  Assuming you want to see them all under the same album name, which is normally what you want.

As for the track names, you'll probably want to do that manually unfortunately.

Next post will address your second question.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 04:23:04 pm »

Now let's address your problem with songs from the K: drive:

The auto import options tell JRiver where to look for new songs.  Anything you put there gets imported automatically.  But if you change where to look it doesn't take them away.  It just stops looking there for new songs.  Make sense?

To get rid of these songs that were wrongly imported, we'll want to find them in JRiver and then delete them from it's database.  This won't touch the files on disk as long as you don't tell it to.  All we'll do is remove the reference from JRiver, leaving the files on disk untouched.

You might want to try the procedure below with just a few files first. Once it works, do the rest in one shot.

1.  Go to the left navigation pane and click on Audio -> Files . 
2.  You should now see a list of files at the bottom and a set of Panes on the top.  First pane should be "Locations".  Drill down through locations until you find the K: drive.  Click it.   
3.  Now you should see all of the K: drive songs in the list below.  Click in that file list. 
4.  Then do select all (Edit -> Select All).  Now you've got all the K: drive files selected.
5.  Right click and select Delete.
6.  A box will come up, asking you if you want to delete the files from the Media Center Library, or from disk.  Just say Library (it's the default).  Press OK, and it will delete them all.

That should do it for you I believe.

Good luck!

Brian.

BlueRiver

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 05:08:14 pm »

Thanks Brian.  K files now removed.

I tried a slightly different tack with the naming.  I was trying to just get all 7 tracks in the same folder, but since it was ripping to the C drive, I manually placed them all in a folder in my music directory on E.  Now I can only see two tracks though.

I clicked on Audio>Files>E, and it only shows two tracks (lectures 5 and 6).  If I check the actual drive, all the songs are still there.  If I do File>Library>Import>Run Auto-Import Now (set to check E, ignore K), it shows:

Updating library to match external changes...
File: 43525 of 43677

Then it changes to:

File: 1 of 150

On restart I can't re-import the rest of my library anymore.  Just those two tracks.  Is there some filter I can't see?

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 05:13:08 pm »

It sounds to me like you have a bad file or two that JRiver is getting hung up on, but I'm not experienced with that AT ALL.  Just something I've read here a few times.

You could try manually importing the directory with the 7 files in it:  File -> Library -> Import...
Choose the top choice:  Import a single folder

Someone else will probably have some better advice if you have a bad file somewhere on your E: drive that's stopping the process.

Brian.

BlueRiver

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:51 pm »

Here's the thing about the metadata though.  I realize there's not a huge Feynman fanbase.  Six Easy Pieces is in the database though.  Three discs were fine.  I want the option of telling Media Center what album it is.  Give me a manual search.  Even if you think you know what it is, because I can't get rid of that darn Jethro Tull art.  I want to tell the system that yeah, I know all of these track times match a Brittney Spears album, but I want it labeled as Rachmaninoff.

I guess this is outside the current functionality of the program though.

I know I can edit all this stuff.  I'll change the art.  I don't want to have to spend all the time to it manually when the information is available already.

And I don't know what's up with it not seeing any of my other files now.  Still stuck on that one.

BlueRiver

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 05:42:35 pm »

Reinstalling worked.  Now to go change some metadata.

Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate the assistance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up