INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nathan's Roman Holiday  (Read 5305 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Nathan's Roman Holiday
« on: May 14, 2015, 04:13:04 pm »

it was moved then just disappeared when I was answering it??

anyways here's my reply for what its worth :)

Hey Nathan sounds fun, you'll have a blast!

No offense to Jim, but don't do what he did! Wear a helmet (I think you have to anyways). As a veteran Parisian scooterist, I wear body armor that would suit someone one with a Ducati Monster. If I may, at the very least, no t-shirts and shorts with beach thongs. Even a blue jean jacket is better than nothing and will help prevent some nasty burns, leather is better and the new jackets with pads better still ... hands in europe is where you get dinged the most so gloves are aa good idea.  Tell the ladies no high heels or Espadrilles -- I have lots of stories about women and heels :( They can put em in the top case and change

Its cool if you have your motorcycle license but you don't need one for a 125cc bike and a valid driver's license. And thats all you'll need unless you plan on taking highways. If you and your wife plus luggage are on the same bike a 125 might be a bit light. But if you are just making short trips in Tuscany, you won't be going more than 50mph. If you do happen to rent a bigger scooter (quite common to have 650cc scooters). Remember that often for a 250 or a 400cc scoot you have half the room under the seat compared to a 125.

Ah and if it doesn't spoil the fun and is still possible, AVOID vespa's ... its no longer Roman Holiday with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. They are unbalanced, are not great for wind at anything more than 50KPH, and the breaks even with ABS aren't the best for hills. (I'm talking about the 125cc which is what they rent the most of on package trips -- the 50cc is bloody dangerous) Try and rent an Aprilia or a Piaggio. I have an Aprilia Atlantic and its heavy (stable), very fast from 0-30kph and has a lot of pickup.  If you already rented 125cc Vespas, just be cool passing trucks  and on rainy cobblestones  -- you'll still have fun no worries.

If I can offer one bit of advice though, in city traffic in Italy and France especially, get in front of the cars - you want to be seen -- there is a sort of unwritten third lane for scooters -- pass all the cars when every one is lining up at a stoplight so you get ahead of them -- the police are very cool about that (but NOT cool about taking bus lanes). On a multilane road, the "bike lane" is between the left and the middle lane (not between the right lane and the middle lane) -- cars often move over to let you pass them. Oh and unless this has changed recently, Italy still has a priority from the right rule. Please verify this one  ... in France this is one of the biggest reasons for accidents with foreign drivers. Unless there is a yield sign (also marked on the pavement btw), even on a bigger street, expect a slow vehicle pulling right out in front of you from some tiny side street -- they have the right of way and you don't have airbags.

People on motorcycles or scooters are super nice and helpful. None of the gang persona which sometimes is a drag in parts of the US.

I love my scooter in europe so much now that I put it on a train the night before I go places, and its waiting for me at my destination. ANd as for parking its a dream to park just about anywhere.

Have a great time

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: what Happened to Nathans Italian post??
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 06:23:53 pm »

I think he removed the post.  He must have been ashamed of himself having so much fun while we have to keep the economy rolling.

My Vespa never did much over 50 Km per hour.  At the time, I didn't appreciate it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Nathan's Roman Holiday
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:25:18 pm »

Unless there is a yield sign (also marked on the pavement btw)

Where I live in Maine, we're somewhat famous for having crazy street signs. Here's one:

Because, you know, when you're in the depths of a medical emergency, we're there to help.

I don't have a good picture, but there's also one road near me with route signs where, according to the sign, you're going North, South, and East all at the same time.  The road itself right there?  Pointed vaguely South-West.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

TCube

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:23:25 am »

I may be ruff but give me a break !
Crossing Oceans for a Vespa trip in Italy instead of visiting the Universal Exposition in Milan the same year ?
No kidding ? Just for being on the road ?
I know "les gouts et les couleurs ne se discute pas"  nonetheless Americans honor their sense of tacky taste.
Tc

Edit : I mean "road movies" are made in America, no ? It's definitely not a European thing, unless its on a bicycle  ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 03:18:00 am »

Yeah... I did delete the original thread as it was originally intended for the Beta forum to know
- that I'd not (yet) dropped off the face of the earth
- so Glynor would not ask me to update something on the Wiki
- to try to minimise what Google already knows about me (pointless I know)
- and more importantly, the title gave Jim a start! (and at his age that is not a good thing!!!!).

...any way to recap, we are off with 2 other couples doing another in a series of "epic oldie" trips for milestone birthdays.  Last time it was the Inca Train, this time it is Vespa'ing in Italy (+ a Villa in Tuscany and a walk of the Cinque Terre Trails).  We got a couple of years notice as my Wife and I had to go and get our Licence.  I'm now voted as the most likely to come a cropper through "overconfidence" hence the posts about Hospitals!

Off in the morning.... :)

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

TCube

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 03:31:37 am »

oh it was you.
What would be your kit to bring music on the road (I mean on a moped) ? Or is it a GoPro ?  8)
Have a great time  ;)
Tc

- to try to minimise what Google already knows about me (pointless I know)

Probably meant the NSA if You need a visa.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 06:42:16 pm »

Nathan,
Have you experienced any rain yet?  Or has it all been smooth sailing?

Jim

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 01:01:43 am »

We are all back in once piece and had a great time!  It was like a few small holidays joined together:

Part 1: Tuscany - This was the only rain we saw on the whole trip.  I think some of our less experienced riders were praying for rain to minimise the time on the Vespas as when we picked them up we got an "Old School Safety Talk" along the lines of..... "In the last year we had one fatality and 30 crashes.... It is always the tourists fault & we will bill your credit card."  Good to report that not a scratch to man or machine was made by our group :)  I don't think we looked as good as Jim and his wife in the photo above!  It is a great area we got to try lots of good food and wine (even shipped some wine back to Oz).  Unfortunatly our group was two guys and four girls so it turned out the two of us spend some time outside various shops (this area has a lot of the famous Italian fashion outlets).

Part 2: Cinque Terre This is a set of 5 towns on the Italian Riviera that you can walk between (well when landslides have not taken them out).  It is all very scenic and the walks not that long or hard.  Turns out there was more food, wine and shopping (we even lugged back in our luggage 15KG of [img=http://www.fabbricadarte.com/en/Prodotto/77/three-by-three-panel-10-collection?CategoriaId=60]http://Hand-painted terracotta bas-reliefs depicting the village of Monterosso[/img] .  It is a very popular tourist destination and it must have been a US uni break from the number of groups in each town (it then dies down at night)
Here is a pic from the Web (one of our team is into photography but he has yet to sort through all the pics and post process them)

Part 3: Rome  We like Rome and have been a few times.  The newest addition for us was the travel by fast train around the country and the skill of the Pick Pockets.  One of a group had his wallet lifted within a couple of minutes after arriving at the Rome Terminus.  Seems it is so common the Police Station had a queue of people with a 3hr wait to report thefts (we just left).  Guess what, more good food, wine and shopping (with seeing the usual sights).  We left the other at this point as my wife and I stayed a few days with a family we know though the kids exchange programs and they took us to some more out of the way locations which was great.

On the way back we did a one day Stop Over in Shanghai to dine at UltraViolet and top tier restaurant that according to them "is the first restaurant of its kind attempting to unite food with multi-sensorial technologies in order to create a fully immerse dining experience".   It certainly is a 1 of a kind experience and now really want all my walls to be one big screen!  60" TV just don't just it. :)

Lots of fun
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 05:27:39 pm »

that's pretty.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 03:34:48 pm »

That sounds like a great trip, Nathan.  I'm glad to hear your Vespa took no hits.  Great to have you back.  We missed your wicked wit.

Audrey was my first wife, of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up