INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Down Converting?  (Read 2111 times)

DavidMW

• World Citizen
DLNA Down Converting?
« on: May 15, 2015, 01:36:20 pm »

I am evaluating MC on the Mac mostly for the DLNA functionality. I listen to most of my music on the go using the Sony ZX2 DAP. I want to be able to stream music on my local network using DLNA. When doing so (and following the procedures here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA), the music is down converted from my redbook rips or hi res downloads to MP3. Are there additional settings I need to do to be able to listen to music in its original format and resolution?

Also, when I'm listening to music streamed on the ZX2 using DLNA, I see "Cannot display the lyrics from the server" on top of the album artwork (which might be a Sony issue).

I'm ready to buy once I can get this squared away (and then on to how I can stream music via the internet when outside of my house- but that is later)

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA Down Converting?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:39:11 pm »

On the server, go to Tools > Option > Media Network, then Add or Configure DLNA Servers.  Audio conversion settings are there.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:52:45 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that (and a few other adjustments), but nothing worked. When I made the changes in the first attachment, the result is displayed in the second attachment. After a few other adjustments, I was back to MP3. Can you provide step by step instructions?

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:03:23 am »

Jim, can you advise on next steps to resolve this? Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 07:21:23 am »

I don't know the answer, but try other settings.  Try "always convert".  Start simple and work your way up.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:50:34 am »

Well you have to set up the DLNA server part, but for the streaming using original bit rates, you need to configure in Options Audio Conversion to "not convert". See my screen shot attached, simpler :)

Now your last screen shot showing no connection I'll skip as in your first post you seem to have the connection set up. However this is important that it connects. You might want to try 16bit PCM if 24bit doesn't work - you won't be needing it.

In terms of the lyrics that has to be done via a modification of the "View". As Jim said start simple and get the audio streaming first. If the Sony is running Android you might want to try the JRemote app when you get more comfortable with this.

Hope this helps

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 05:05:41 am »

Thanks, I tried the very basic of making the connection and exactly followed your screen shot. After deselecting all other options I am still getting down converted MP3 files. Bummer. I'll need to explore further. I tried all options in a pretty systematic fashion and either landed on MP3 or no connection.  Any other tips would be appreciated. I'd really like to make this work before the trial ends.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 11:08:32 am »

Thanks, I tried the very basic of making the connection and exactly followed your screen shot. After deselecting all other options I am still getting down converted MP3 files. Bummer. I'll need to explore further. I tried all options in a pretty systematic fashion and either landed on MP3 or no connection.  Any other tips would be appreciated. I'd really like to make this work before the trial ends.
hey David

well if you followed what Jim and I mentioned at least I can make a leap of faith to conclude its not in the PC/JRiver part of the chain. I'd check the DLNA device before digging any deeper.

I don't have the time to look into the Xz2 manuals, but I remember it because of its price when it came out!!  :o Anyways, I'm pretty sure they would have a choice for transcoding in their built in player. If this is set to "on", (this is used when you don't have a good connection, or enough bandwidth as you probably know) -- might want to uncheck that.  

Another thing your XZ2 can do is install android apps. The JRemote app, supported here on this forum, has  a configuration menu for streaming/transcoding. I'd check that out. Costs a little less than 8 euros so I suppose 10$, but you get 2 hours to try it out and still return it. This could be a quick test to see if the downsampling is originating in the player or not (also it works a treat with a JRiver library - so if this works I bet you'll keep it)

Pages: [1]   Go Up