INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote loses connection and times out on reconnect.  (Read 3352 times)

JohnK

• Recent member
JRemote loses connection and times out on reconnect.
« on: May 23, 2015, 03:20:48 am »

JRemote is super--- when it's working. I am running it on Gen1 iPad mini as well as on iPod Touch. No problems with iPod Touch but consistent problems with iPad mini which is my preferred device.

SYMPTOMS: (1) I connect to JRiver (MC 20.0.103 latest stable build) and it loses connection while browsing albums. Then it won't reconnect because it "timed out"  (2) It won't connect, reports shows "timed out".    In both cases, the iPod Touch has no problem connecting while the iPad will not reconnect.

HAVE TRIED: (1) Closing JRemote then clearing iPad RAM memory with a different app. This sometimes works, but not always. (2) Close JRemote, Clear RAM memory, then restart JRemote,  delete the server info on JRemote and re-enter. Have tried using both Access Key and IP Address with this method. This works most of the time but eventually the only cure is to Uninstall and Re-install JRemote. (3) Have tried closing JRiver and restarting but that only works occasionally.              

OBSERVATIONS: (1) The problem seems to be more common when RAM memory is low on the iPad  (2) Stopping the Firewall and Stopping anti-virus on the laptop for a period of time does not cure the problem from happening.  (3) After a fresh re-install of JRemote, it works fine for a few days but it's almost like the connection code is somehow deteriorating over time and needs a fresh install of first the server info, then, ultmately the entire app.          

SYSTEM INFO:  Win 7 64-bit,  JRMark (version 20.0.103): 890  Config is  Main Router >>wifi>> Client Bridge >> ethernet to Synology NAS & ethernet to Laptop. When this timeout problem is occurring, I can connect to the laptop with JRemote on iPodTouch and also connect to the laptop from iPad using TeamViewer.    These observations lead me to think that the problem resides in the JRemote app on the iPad.  These problems only started happening with iOS 8.

I hope you can help....
thanks
John

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote loses connection and times out on reconnect.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:43:05 pm »

Are you on iOS 8.3?

If not, update to it. Apple fixed a ton of networking bugs in the latest iOS release.

(For the record, I use JRemote on an iPad 3 and a Retina iPad Mini 3 regularly without seeing anything like this issue.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JohnK

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 05:47:56 am »

Thanks. Yes I am running latest iOS 8.3

The newer iPads have 1GB (or more?) RAM, my iPad Mini 1  has 500MB. I'm not 100% sure that it's related to available RAM but sometimes it appears to be a related cause.

Still trying to completely rule out any issues on the laptop and this morning I did the following:
1. Ran chkdsk /f
2, Analysed and checked disk fragmentation ( = 0%)
3. Stopped TeamViewer process.

UPDATE:
Some details on latest observation...
I had a few albums playing and when they stopped I Cleared Playlist using iPad.
Went to Recent Albums and selected two albums, used Add All to Playlist
Went to a third Recent Album and it would not load in iPad. Tried again, it would not load. (Maybe the computer was busy bringing in data from NAS for first song in Playlist?)
Closed JRemote.
Cleared RAM memory.
Re-started JRemote, it would not connect. Tried this twice.
Picked up the iPod Touch, no problem to add the third album.

Went back to iPad, tried again and it would not connect-- Timed Out.
Deleted server info on JRemote.
Closed JRemote
Cleared all RAM
Re-started JRemote and added IP address to set up as new server again.

It connected.

This is the usual pattern and this remedy usually works. Sometimes an Uninstall then Fresh Install of JRemote is the only thing that works.

-John

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:21:35 am »

Try making sure that your server PC is running a fixed IP address (reserve an IP address on your router for the server PC's MAC address).

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:04:42 am »

Try making sure that your server PC is running a fixed IP address (reserve an IP address on your router for the server PC's MAC address).

I thought of that, but if it happens right in the middle of browsing albums, then that (and server sleep) wouldn't seem to be the cause.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:09:46 am »

Cleared RAM memory.

FYI, you can't do this. What you are doing (removing the app from the recently-used-task switcher, I'd assume) does not do what you think it does.

When you close an app by hitting the home button, if it isn't using one of the limited background APIs, the application is flushed from RAM within 60 seconds.  Period.  No exceptions.

Doing the "close from the task switcher" deletes the app's saved state file from the flash storage, not RAM.  The only exception is if the app is using a background API, like playing audio or using GPS, in which case it does also force-terminate the process and deletes the saved state file. Only iOS itself can clear RAM, and it does so very aggressively (even while apps are running if the device encounters a low-memory state, which is why some apps "crash" randomly on devices with lower amounts of RAM).

The task switcher on iOS is not a list of running apps.  When you hit the home button, the apps terminate. The task switcher is just a list of most recently used apps.

That detail doesn't help with this, obviously, but I figured it was worth explaining, because there is a TON of misinformation out there. I've even been told the opposite by "Apple Geniuses" at the Apple Store before.  They are wrong.

JohnK

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 07:15:05 pm »

Nice deflection and a good description of iPod/iPhone memory but I see different memory behavior from Gen1 iPad Mini.

I'm still patiently waiting for a sensible response to this very buggy behavior from JRemote in iPad Mini.

To Repeat---- Using iPad Mini Gen 1, latest iOS, JRemote will connect with JRiver then lose connection. After it loses connection it will not reconnect, report is "Timed Out".  Meanwhile, the old iPod Touch connects first time every time.

Forgive my brevity but I have to go and delete the JRemote app and then re-install it. So far that's the only fix that will connect again for a while.  Unless of course you folks could solve it.

UPDATE.... Full shut down of the iPad and startup was needed tonight after new install of JRemote lost connection while browsing and refused to reconnect..

thanks
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up