INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A "manual" BPM tool, is one available?  (Read 2733 times)

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck
A "manual" BPM tool, is one available?
« on: May 23, 2015, 10:29:29 am »

Hello,

I need to capture BPM on a wide variety of jazz and classical, where there might not be a discernible audible beat, but there is a beat nonetheless, or where a lot of music might be in cut time as opposed to 4/4.

What I'd like is something I can launch while a song is playing and I could click the beat with my mouse for a period of time. then click one of 4 "update" buttons to plop the BPM into the tag of the song. the update buttons should just be simple multipliers (in case the tempo of the song is too fast to physically click that fast, like 360 BPM, I can tap only every 2nd beat and have the button multiply times 2 upon update).

For example the UI elements would be:

1) A tap pad
2) Update x 1 button
3) Update x 2 button
4) Update x 3 button (for counting waltzes)
5) Update x 4 button
6) a current tap rate display
etc...

the tool should have a fast clock that measures the BPM rate on screen in real time, so when the clicker sees the BPM go quiescent with their clicking they know they locked into the tempo and can stop clicking and press one of the Update buttons of their choice to multiply and update.

The current automatic DSP BPM readings are highly wrong or dont detect at all unless there is a bass or bass drum playing, it only works fairly good on pop music etc. Also an automatic BPM meter has no concept of cut time vs. 4/4 so it tends to come up with a BPM that is either half or double the real tempo because in cut time the bass plays usually only on the 1's and 3's but the tempo is really double that, etc.

Lots of problems with automatic BPM. Does anyone have a manual BPM calculator I can download?

Thanks

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: A "manual" BPM tool, is one available?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:13:01 pm »

I'm well along to developing this as a windows Forms application calling the MCWS REST service. It's pretty cool and working, it just needs to be cleaned up UI-wise. Having the REST service makes this pretty easy over using DCOM.

My next step would be finding out how to turn a Windows Forms application into a plug in. Which I dont have a clue.

Pages: [1]   Go Up