INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art restore management  (Read 1372 times)

sirkus

• World Citizen
Cover art restore management
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:23:26 am »

Cover Art
As far as I remember, library restore doesn't effect cover art. That means, it will not restore your cover art. I'm not sure how you can transfer cover art from on PC to another when cover art is stored outside your files.

Is that still true? The only way is to store the art in files tags?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:07:14 am »

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I messed up Thumbnails which created for faster viewing CoverArt preview inside MC and the CoverArt itself.

What I was referring to in my previous post were thumbnails. They're NOT stored inside a library backup and so have to be recreated after a library restore. They are created using the original CoverArt or by taking screenshots out of videos and are much smaller and therefor faster to load and display.

The CoverArt itself also doesn't get backuped by MC, because MC only saves the LIBRARY, not the files them self. As so, neither your mp3, pictures or videos managed with MC nor the CoverArt gets backed up with a Library Backup.

But of course storing your cover art inside a file is NOT the only way to store your cover art. You also can use a directory containing all pictures used as covers.

Hope that clears things up a bit. Sorry for being that unclear before.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:10:11 am »

And of course you are able to transfer you cover art from one PC to another even if the art is stored outside the file. But as I always store my art inside the files, I don't know how to manage a transfer best in that case. Others will for sure ;)

sirkus

• World Citizen
Re: Cover art restore management
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:56:36 am »

OK, thanks for the precision. I am in client/server configuration for MC. Sometimes, in client(s) I use "copy/paste from URL" for cover art and I wanted to know what happens if I restore library and settings on another system. If I set, on server (on client, too?) "Audio mode: In the same folder as the file", is MC able to rebuild that cover art at restore?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:30:23 pm »

Cover art is NOT stored inside MCs library.

If you want to transfer your audio/video/picture files to another system it's not enough to restore the library at your other system. You have to transfer your files and to restore your library.

Same for cover art. You have to transfer your cover art files to your other system. It cannot be done using a library restore because MC doesn't store cover art in its library.

For a good reason. Library backups would be extremely huge. For those kind of users using high quality cover art.

I hope I answered your question... Not sure, if I got it right?! Sorry if not. Just keep on questioning ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up