INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging - DSP and R128 question  (Read 2147 times)

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
Tagging - DSP and R128 question
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:23:15 am »

I have my music in a network location.
I have two PC's - each running JRiver.
Through one PC, I analyze my audio, change some tag values and assign saved DSP values.
When I access the same tracks on the other PC - no audio analyzed values are present, and none of the new tag values are available.
Yet going back to the first PC they are all still there!
Why?
How do I remedy this, please.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging - DSP and R128 question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:53:02 am »

I'm guessing JRiver isn't writing your changes back to the files, but only to it's internal database.  To make it write to the files also, you need to enable this option:

Tools > Options > General > Importing and Tagging > Update tags when file info changes

I think that'll do it for you.

Brian.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 06:07:19 pm »

you need to enable this option:

Tools > Options > General > Importing and Tagging > Update tags when file info changes

I think that'll do it for you.

Brian.
#
it is already ticked.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:45:11 pm »

Are you running the first PC as a server and the second as a client using the MC Media Network?
That is the way you should be running it, so that there is one library on the server, which is then sync'd to the library on the client. If each PC is operating independently and connecting to the media on your network location, then each PC would have its own library, which you would need to maintain separately. That should work for tag updates, as long as the tags are stored in the media files (if they support this) or sidecar files and not in the library. Even with sidecar files, I'm not sure MC would detect changes and do the updates in the second PC library. So make sure you use the first PC as a server and the second PC as a client.

Do you have "auto sync with server" set on the client PC under Options -> Media Network -> Client Options (when connected to a Library Server)?
With this setting active, changes in the server library will be synchronised to the client library, so you will see tag updates on the client. The sync can sometimes take a little while. If you wish to check tags on the client immediately, and it was open when you made the changes on the server, on the client you can right click on the library you are using under "Playing Now", "Playing from" and select "Sync Changes with Library Server" to force a sync. That option is also under File -> Library on the banner menu as well. Closing the client instance of MC, and reopening it will also force a sync, or disconnecting from the server and re-connecting.

I'm not sure what you mean by "assign saved DSP values", but if you mean DSP settings under Options -> Audio, then I don't think they are synchronised, as they are dependent on the PC that MC is running, either the Server or Client. They need to be set and maintained separately, as there are separate output devices on each PC, which require different settings.

Any tag changes, and the results of audio analysis, will be sync'd to the client though. Of course you need to have "Write files tags when analysing audio, getting cover art, and applying folder-based tags" set on the server under Options -> Library & Folders -> Auto Import -> Configure auto-import.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 04:37:37 pm »

Are you running the first PC as a server and the second as a client

way too hard to achieve a simple goal.
besides, my music location is on the other side of a VPN through internet.
This server client business is too slow in my situation.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 04:43:08 pm »

Client-server use is not normally slow.  Did you try it?

The VPN shouldn't make a difference.

The connection speed might be a problem, but not usually.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 05:21:21 pm »

On the computer that's not seeing the tag changes, are you using Auto Import?  If so, it *should* pick up the file changes every time one is made.  There will be a delay as Auto Import only runs every X number of seconds (or minutes?), but it should get them.

If you're not using Auto Import, you'll need to tell the library to update from the files themselves.  See this article:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_the_database_and_tags

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 07:00:05 pm »

There will be a delay as Auto Import only runs every X number of seconds (or minutes?)

There is a bit of a delay (10-15 seconds or so, typically), but that's not why.  That's not how Auto-Import background scanning works.  Read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import#Background_Scanning
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 07:08:21 pm »

^ Neat.  Glad to know the mechanism.  It's very responsive on my system... I guess that's why.  I always see albums show up in my album view *while* they are being ripped from CD, so it's definitely quick.

Not sure if this helps the OP, but let's hope so.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 08:46:29 pm »

Not sure if this helps the OP, but let's hope so.

File System Events over the internet via a VPN? Probably not supported, at least not by default. So Ken would need to run auto-import manually to see the changes, or wait for next background full scan on the second PC.

But if the music location is over the internet via a VPN, and the two PC's are on the same LAN, there is no reason not to use MC's Media Network, except that the PC operating as a Server would need to be running when the Client is used. If each PC connects directly to the music location and has its own library, each PC can operate independently. However, using the Media Network capabilities has the enormous advantage that only one library needs to be maintained on the MC Server PC, and would be sync'd to the Client on the second PC. This would mean no need to run manual imports, and new tags would be available on both PCs at virtually the same time, without the need to get Distributed File System Events over a VPN working.

Ken you have already decided one PC is the Master, and is used for edits, while the other PC is a Slave, and is just used to access the music. So using the MC Media Network makes a lot of sense.

I think if you are happy to do audio analysis over the internet via a VPN, which would bottleneck the process, you would be happy with the speed and simplicity of MC's Media Network. As long as both PC's are usually running, or at least the Server is waiting in sleep mode should the Client be started to access music.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:32:57 am »

Thanx for everybody's replies.
I do not know, what happened or what I did, but some how it started to work!
I did not setup a server/client , but somehow it is working.
What d'ya know!
Pages: [1]   Go Up