INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NFC - do you use it ?  (Read 2334 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
NFC - do you use it ?
« on: May 26, 2015, 02:38:27 pm »

So for the last several years, new smartphones have had NFC, and various companies have said various things about implementing uses...

.... but that is not the same thing as anything actually getting significant real world use.

For example, when smartphones with cameras reached a certain amount of market penetration, it did not take long for personal camera use to explode (prior to smartphones, photo taking was only for pros or for dads to take boring pictures of family outings).

So any signs of significant NFC use ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: NFC - do you use it ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:53:28 pm »

I've seen a meaningful number of retail stores and point of sale setups (including a small grocery chain) that accept NFC payments.  I've never used it personally, but I've seen a significant number of people do so, and adoption by businesses is encouraging.  I am in a medium-sized urban area in North America though, so YMMV.  

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 06:29:53 pm »

I've used the tap to pay functionality at several vending machines (airports and hotels mostly) and at a few retailers I frequent.

I also have a time tracking application on my android phone and have created 3 NFC tags which I tap to start tracking time for 3 various categories.

I have used NFC to start the transfer of photos between two phones where you place them back to back and send the photo.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »

Some devices allow you to pair with them using NFC.  Samsung at least.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 12:19:29 am »

Maybe my age, but I plain don't trust it.

I turned it on for my new phone and that allowed almost instant transfer of all of the settings from my old phone to the new. Passwords, account details, the lot. That was impressive.
Having done that, I immediately turned it off again. Perhaps it's just ignorance of how it all works, but I imagined some hacker out there just needed a similar thing going on, and would only need to be standing beside me for my phone to give up everything it had.

Mine's off and staying off. I have a wallet in my pocket that I use for paying for stuff.

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 06:19:55 am »

It's better than Bluetooth or WiFi, in that respect since it has such a small range.  It's something like 18".  That's why it's called "Near Field" C-something (Communications?).

Daydream

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:12:14 pm »

Mmm, NFC tags and automation? Was thinking to give it a shot. Some $13 for 10 tags on Amazon.

TCube

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:55:29 am »

Lumia's got a neat little tool with NFC aka Microsoft Screen Sharing for TV
Not much use otherwise for me
Tc
Pages: [1]   Go Up