INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP adaptive volume "night mode" does both too much and too little  (Read 3678 times)

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck

From the description, I assumed that "night mode" would be useful for high background noise environments, such as in a moving car.

I have here a track from an orchestral soundtrack that has a quiet into with at average (RMS) -43 dB, followed by a louder section at -17 dB. A 26 dB difference. That's obviously too much dynamic range to be listenable in a car. One has to turn up the soft part, and turn down the loud part.

After processing with both "Volume leveling" and "adaptive volume | night mode" enabled the loud part was at -14 dB and the soft part at -38 dB. That's still a 24 dB difference. Not a significant change.

Worse, though, after processing by "night mode", there was considerable clipping in the loud part. This even though I had enabled "clip protection" in the DSP Studio Adaptive Volume dialog.

"Peak level normalize" isn't right either: "Boosts low volume content, while preserving dynamic range." No, I don't want to preserve dynamic range.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP adaptive volume "night mode" does both too much and too little
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:22:06 am »

"Peak level normalize" isn't right either: "Boosts low volume content, while preserving dynamic range." No, I don't want to preserve dynamic range.
Yes, but many people do.
Peak Level Normalization increases the volume level as high as possible without introducing clipping or compressing the dynamic range for analyzed files.

Have you analyzed all the tracks that you are trying to play?
It shouldn't be clipping if you have.

I would also suggest that you try the "small speakers" mode, since that applies the most dynamic range compression.
Volume Leveling may work against your goal of playback in a car. I'm not sure how it interacts with the night/small speakers modes.

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 01:39:02 am »

Yes, but many people do.
I'm not saying that option shouldn't be there. Just that it doesn't help here.
Have you analyzed all the tracks that you are trying to play?
It shouldn't be clipping if you have.
Yes, I have. And it's clipping.

I would also suggest that you try the "small speakers" mode, since that applies the most dynamic range compression.
Volume Leveling may work against your goal of playback in a car. I'm not sure how it interacts with the night/small speakers modes.
It's worth a try. Thanks!

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 09:20:08 pm »

ok... the "small speakers" option is completely unsuitable.

The track I'm dealing with starts with a very quiet passage (about 25 seconds, RMS -43 dB, peak -34.5), then there is a not-quite-so-quiet section for about 10 seconds (RMS -36, peak -17), then suddenly transitions to a very loud section, RMS -17, peak 0.

With "small speakers" the first passage is increased nicely, but the second section is now as loud as the third. IOW the dynamics of the piece are not being preserved. It seems to suffer from not enough lookahead.

Pages: [1]   Go Up