INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyzing Audio (Audio and Video)  (Read 2336 times)

Hans Weiland

• Recent member
Analyzing Audio (Audio and Video)
« on: May 31, 2015, 06:01:18 am »

I recently detected accidentally, that „re-analyzing“ Audio files is changing the resulting values. Pls have a look at the attached example.
Was there a change in the algorithm, so a “re-analyzing” would be advised?

Second part of my question/input is related to Audio analyzing and VIDEO-files:
What is happening with analyzing if the Video-file is containing more than one audio track? The different tracks don’t get analyzed separately, do they?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Analyzing Audio (Audio and Video)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:32:52 am »

I recently detected accidentally, that „re-analyzing“ Audio files is changing the resulting values. Pls have a look at the attached example.
Was there a change in the algorithm, so a “re-analyzing” would be advised?
There were a few changes back when the feature was first introduced, but nothing for quite some time, as far as I am aware.
Are these perhaps DTS-HD tracks though? That might have changed. Even regular DTS may have, since there is a new DTS decoder in use.

Second part of my question/input is related to Audio analyzing and VIDEO-files:
What is happening with analyzing if the Video-file is containing more than one audio track? The different tracks don’t get analyzed separately, do they?
The main audio track will be analyzed. That would be the default track if you have not played the file before, or whichever was last selected if you manually changed it at some point.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:54:02 am »

There were a few changes back when the feature was first introduced, but nothing for quite some time, as far as I am aware.

OP is talking about audio files too, and there were changes since the feature has been introduced, but the most recent change was about a year and a half ago when the switch was made from replaygain to R128.  If OP analyzed his audio files in MC18 or earlier, he should expect different results now.

Video is a different story, as you note.

Hans Weiland

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:15:14 am »

Thank you for your quick inputs and answers, my summary:

VIDEO - all clear => just the wish for the future, that all audio-tracks may be analyzed separately and independantly, so movies with different language tracks would have an easier life  ;)

AUDIO => Stays a bit a mystery as the example I took for the screenshots was a FLAC encoded CD, which I imported just a few month ago and I am nearly always running on the latest version of MC20. Also, I remember, that I did a complete re-analyze after the introduction of R128, I think like most of us did.
Anyhow, not a big deal, will do a re-analyze to be on the safe side during the night(s)  ;)

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 05:02:22 pm »

When were these changes made?
I have more than 30 000 songs in my library which I analyzed just after the switch to R128. I hope I don't need to analyze them again...   ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 07:12:01 pm »

I have more than 30 000 songs in my library which I analyzed just after the switch to R128. I hope I don't need to analyze them again...   ;)
You should be fine.

Hans Weiland

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:16:47 pm »

What you could try though - take a handful of songs and re-analyze them. When I did that, I took a screenshot of the analyze-window before and after and so you'll see whether the values are changing or not...
Will not take you more than just a few minutes to try...

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:15:55 am »

What you could try though - take a handful of songs and re-analyze them. When I did that, I took a screenshot of the analyze-window before and after and so you'll see whether the values are changing or not...
Will not take you more than just a few minutes to try...

Yes, I got that idea too. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up