INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pointing library to new folders  (Read 3609 times)

sema

• Recent member
Pointing library to new folders
« on: May 09, 2015, 10:04:55 am »

Hi,

I have recently copied the two folders in which I keep my music and my videos to a different location on my hard disk. Now I would like to point the JRiver library to those new folders. I have already searched the forum and Wiki and understand that this can be done with library tools and "update database to point to new location".

However, I have so far only been able to point the library to a new single folder in which it thinks all files are located (in the base directory). But they are not, they are in subfolders. Those are the same subfolders as before, just the base directory has changed.

Example:
Before, my music directory was d:\music, now it is d:\onedrive\music.
In that I have files sorted by artist and album. E.g.
d:\music\eric clapton\reptile\reptile.flac needs is now d:\onedrive\music\eric clapton\reptile\reptile.flac

How can I tell JRiver that the subfolder structure remains the same and that only the base directory has changed?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pointing library to new folders
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 10:09:45 am »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 10:28:23 am »

The Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool in Update Database mode.  You can use Find & Replace to swap out the needed part of the file paths.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 10:36:53 am »

Choose Update To Point to New Location, then Find and Replace and change d: to d:\onedrive That should retain all the sub-directory information. Do a library backup before, just to be safe.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:46:26 am »

These guys are pointing you in the right direction.  I'll add a little information to this:

1.  Try this on one or two files first.  If that works, do an album or two.  If that works, do more; maybe do the rest all at once.
2.  On the right hand pane of the rename, move, and copy tool, there is a preview section.  This will show you what JRiver is going to do before you press OK to make it happen.  Make the window bigger if you need to; sometimes the path names are very long.  Hover over lines you can't see and it will pop up a box to let you see the rest.  Using the preview is a great way to make sure you get it right.
3.  The previous poster who said to make a database backup is WISE.  DO IT before you start.  File -> Library -> Back Up Library...

Good luck!

Brian.

sema

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 11:36:58 am »

Thanks all for your quick answers!

I was just about to write a confused reply about not finding a Find & Replace option in the Rename, Move and Copy Files tool. But then I updated MC20 to the very latest version (which can only be a few days old I suppose) and - bingo!

So everybody else with the same problem as I, do your update first! :-)

Thanks again and have a good weekend everyone.

sjgromet

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 05:45:04 am »

I have a related issue to this post. I have created several libraries for different types of music. Sometimes I import an album into the wrong library. So far, to "move" it to he right library, I have to locate where the music file folder is physically located on my hard drive, change to the MC library where I want the album to be accessible from, re-import the album into that library, then go back to the library that the album was originally imported erroneously into and remove it (selecting the first removal option, which just removes album from the library without deleting the file).

Is there an easier way? I would be great with one command to tell MC to move an album from one library to another library and all the steps above are handled at once (sort of like the Library Tool "Rename, Move & Copy"). If not, this would be a great new feature and a big time saver for those who do maintain multiple libraries and want to have the ability to easily move albums among different libraries.

Maybe this function exists but I am still learning MC and have not found it. Thanks to anyone who has information on this.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 09:22:31 am »

I think most people here are going to say that you probably don't need more than one library.  Views are easily set up to show you only a portion of your library at a time.  So "different types of music" can easily be presented through views as opposed to Libraries.

For example you could easily have a very detailed and specific Classical View to present only your Classical music using Composer, Conductor, etc, as selection and presentation criteria.  Another view could show you everything but Classical. Or everything minus Classical and Jazz.

From my reading and research here, I see essentially no reason to use separate Libraries for different types of music.  There are probably other good reasons, but I almost never hear of good reasons to have more than one Library on the same computer.

It certainly makes things much easier to manage with only one Library.  :)

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 09:32:30 am »

I agree with Brian, except in very narrow circumstances there's no reason to have multiple libraries, it just creates issues like the one you're seeing.  Multiple libraries are inconvenient in a lot of ways: you will hit other roadblocks with remote control, the JRiver android apps, and client/server usage.  

MC's database system and view creation system are very sophisticated, you can slice a single library lots of different ways based on almost any criteria you can think of.  If you could explain why you want two libraries (what problem are you trying to solve with two libraries?), we will likely be able to help you do what you need with one library, which will be easier in the long run (and will obviate your original problem). Which is to say that you probably have an  x/y problem; Y can't be solved (to my knowledge), but we might be able to help you with X  ;D

NB: The main valid technical reason to have two libraries is if you use a client/server setup but need to import/process files and/or rip CDs on a client machine.  Then you absolutely need to have a local library to handle ripping/imports because of technical limitations of the client/server model.  But except for that and a few other corner cases, there's really nothing you can do with two libraries that you can't do just as well (or better) with one.

sjgromet

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 11:41:26 am »

Thanks this is helpful, I will investigate the views functions, I have not yet fully explored those. The reason I was creating different libraries was to separate viewing different types of views but seems like that may be unnecessary. The one question I now have relates to using jremote. Do the views functions to which you refer operate in jremote? What I want to do is, sitting in my upstairs bedroom, use jremote on my iPad to look at only classical, jazz or rock files; I have a pretty large music collection and I want to be able to filter/browse by music genre. So am I able to change views through jremote and not have to sit at my computer downstairs where my MC program resides? Thanks for you help to date.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 11:56:36 am »

Thanks this is helpful, I will investigate the views functions, I have not yet fully explored those. The reason I was creating different libraries was to separate viewing different types of views but seems like that may be unnecessary. The one question I now have relates to using jremote. Do the views functions to which you refer operate in jremote? What I want to do is, sitting in my upstairs bedroom, use jremote on my iPad to look at only classical, jazz or rock files; I have a pretty large music collection and I want to be able to filter/browse by music genre. So am I able to change views through jremote and not have to sit at my computer downstairs where my MC program resides? Thanks for you help to date.

Yes; the only "gotcha" is that the views in JRemote are not linked to the views in standard view so you have to change them in a different spot.  That may sound inconvenient, but it's actually an advantage because it let's you specify different views in JRemote and Standard View which can be really handy.

I thought (although I may be mistaken) that one of the default top level views in JRemote is "genre" which would solve your problem handily, but maybe that's not so?  In any case, you change the JRemote views under the Media Network tab in the Options menu.  There's a menu option there for "Customize views for Gizmo, Webgizmo, and JRemote."   I'm not in front of MC right now, but I'll try and post a sample Genre view for you later today when I get home (if someone doesn't beat me to it).
Pages: [1]   Go Up