INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: License Problem  (Read 2672 times)

jaredean

• Recent member
License Problem
« on: June 03, 2015, 04:57:48 pm »

I always download the latest build.  Lately instead of doing an update i'll just completely uninstall MC and install the next build fresh.  This has the side effect of burning a license...i still have a few, but they are dwindling.  

thanks,
jared

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: License Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 05:46:20 pm »

Installing an update doesn't use a license.  Even uninstalling first and then installing won't.

Why do you think you need to restore?

The wiki has a topic called Restoring a License that will help.

If you run out, let us know.

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:04:05 pm »

It requires a license if you go in and delete the Library > Application Support > J River > Media Center 20 folder, which is how i've done it a few times now because some of these "updates" haven't worked.  I've installed and they just open to a blank blue box, or (as you see in my video that i posted in the bug report) give some weird flashing icon on the dock and nothing else.

Since i've had some pretty annoying issues with the last few builds i've decided i need to do a clean install after removing what i could to make sure nothing remained...

Not a big deal, i'll just continue to try and figure out why i'm having my issues through the forum and keep an eye on my licenses...

thanks,
jared

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 08:48:26 pm »

It requires a license if you go in and delete the Library > Application Support > J River > Media Center 20

Deleting that folder accomplishes nothing except deleting your License and a few machine specific settings.  Don't do that. Seriously.

Deleting ~/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 20 deletes your user-settings, and your Library (if stored in the default location).  If you need to, for some crazy reason, clear out MC entirely, then this is the place to do it.

But, this should almost never be necessary. I've updated to almost every single build of MC 20 on both of my Macs, and have never done that. If you need to do this, the most likely candidate by far is that you're causing problems somehow.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 01:37:21 am »

message received...i'm an idiot...i searched for removing cleanly and someone suggested that...

Look, you obviously know this program backwards and forwards and i've come off as some punk that doesn't know what he's doing, but nothing could be further from the truth.  I only want to help you with trying to figure out why my specific install is acting extremely buggy so the software can be improved, but every time i post my issues i get nothing back, no questions or anything, so i'm trying to figure it out on my own.  I came from a PC world not too long ago and lived by Winamp.  I searched for quite a while to find a FLAC player with a great playlist/media management system and JRiver has it in spades - but, 20 has been really pretty bad.  I haven't even posted all of the issues i'm having, but i'll do that in different topics.  I have an MBP with two monitors, so i suspect it has something to do with this particular setup...

So, in trying to test software, or at least get it working right, i will completely remove it every so often to get it "clean"...that is how i do things.  Obviously you don't, but that is what i do when i run into issues to make sure it isn't the install...I have been doing that on the last few builds because of the issues i have had - hence my question on licensing...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 06:48:14 am »

message received...i'm an idiot...i searched for removing cleanly and someone suggested that...

Look, you obviously know this program backwards and forwards and i've come off as some punk that doesn't know what he's doing

Nope. Not at all. I understand. It just read a little to me like you were asking:

"I keep removing my license and then I have to use up my restores. Can you make it so it doesn't remove my license when I remove my license?"

Don't do that, which won't help with your problems anyway, and it won't use up your restores. You have 10 per rolling year. That's almost one a month (especially when you count the 30-day trial). So, usually people are fine unless they hit some weird edge case.

As Jim said, if you end up all out of them, come here and explain and ask and someone from JRiver can probably reset them. That limit is to keep honest people honest. But, you know, if you're asking two or three times per year?  Eyebrows will be raised.

As far as other issues, specific threads asking for help with those issues will be the most effective means to get assistance.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:08:37 am »

If stability is the most important thing, please subscribe to the "Stable" channel (under the Help menu).

When you download, just install it.  There is no advantage to uninstalling the previous version.

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 04:49:43 pm »

Nope. Not at all. I understand. It just read a little to me like you were asking:

"I keep removing my license and then I have to use up my restores. Can you make it so it doesn't remove my license when I remove my license?"

Don't do that, which won't help with your problems anyway, and it won't use up your restores. You have 10 per rolling year. That's almost one a month (especially when you count the 30-day trial). So, usually people are fine unless they hit some weird edge case.

As Jim said, if you end up all out of them, come here and explain and ask and someone from JRiver can probably reset them. That limit is to keep honest people honest. But, you know, if you're asking two or three times per year?  Eyebrows will be raised.

As far as other issues, specific threads asking for help with those issues will be the most effective means to get assistance.

Ah, totally makes sense...yes, now that i understand where that came off as me saying, "i keep losing this file i keep deleting...what the freak" :-)  I'm not looking to get more licenses...i'm good....

I'll start specific threads...i was putting them on the build thread because they were technically bugs of that build...

Thanks for your help...

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 04:50:48 pm »

If stability is the most important thing, please subscribe to the "Stable" channel (under the Help menu).

When you download, just install it.  There is no advantage to uninstalling the previous version.

I'm not as worried about stability as i was trying to help test new builds (and not doing a very good job of it i see)...thanks for the suggestion..
Pages: [1]   Go Up