INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VBR Encoding results in incorrect duration  (Read 1063 times)

trw7

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
VBR Encoding results in incorrect duration
« on: September 25, 2003, 10:11:30 am »

I raised this question at the iPodLounge and Adam there asked me to post it here to see if this is a known problem and perhaps fixed in a later release:

More confirmation that the wrong duration information is caused by MC9's VBR mp3 encoding...

I just batch converted over 100 WAV tracks to mp3 from within MC9, but specified an external LAME encoder. All of the resulting mp3s have the correct duration. So this is a workaround for all of my future ripping and encoding, but this is something that JRiver should look into. Perhaps it is fixed in a newer release?

It would be nice if other users out there could confirm this by doing the following in MC9 (9.0.180):

1) Rip a couple of CDs to uncompressed WAV files

2) From Media Library>Audio>Location, select the drive where the WAV files are, sort by file type, select all the WAV files

3) Right click and select Library Tools>Convert Format...

4) In the Convert Format dialog click the Change button at the upper right.

5) Click the Encoding icon at the left in the Converter Settings dialog

6) From the Encoder drop down list select MP3 Encoder VBR (If you have never used this encoder, MC9 may ask you if it can download it. Let it do this)

7) From the Quality drop down list, select Custom

8- Click the Advanced button

9) Enter the following as the command line: --alt-preset standard

10) Click OK. Then OK again.

11) Now click the Start button to let MC9 convert the listed WAV files to mp3s.

12) When this completes, check the duration shown on all of the new mp3 files for accuracy. An easy way to do this is to select the mp3 file in MC9, then click the play button in the lower left corner of the MC9 window. If the duration time shown above the playback controls does not match the duration shown on the mp3 file, then the VBR mp3 encoding process was not successful. The mp3 will not play correctly on an iPod.

Pages: [1]   Go Up