INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skipping 'slowness' - network switch.  (Read 1363 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Skipping 'slowness' - network switch.
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:54:31 am »

This one is confusing me.  When I am watching recorded TV, I typically use the 'skip' function to jump through commercials 30 seconds at a time (in other words, I use the right arrow button on my remote, and each press moves me forward 30 seconds).

This works just fine.  But a while ago on my upstairs Client, I noticed that the skip ahead started getting slower...by this, I mean, when I press the skip button once, it skips ahead right away, but it takes a second or 2 to start playing the video again.  In the past, it would restart the video almost immediately.  I just assumed at the time that it was because I was changed it to a 4k display, and was using MadVR.

Recently, on my downstairs client, the same thing happened, and I realized that it wasn't due to the 4k, it was because I had a small switch daisy chained to my core switch in my closet.  My topology is Router is connected to a 16 port switch, and at each TV, I have a 4 port switch that is connected at gig speeds to the 16 port switch.  The client is connected to the 4 port switch.  The server is connected direct to the 16 port switch.  All connections are gigabit.  Currently, the only other things plugged into the 4 port switch is the TV, which only takes significant bandwidth if I am watching netflix.

I can put a graphic together if it would help.

So today, I did some basic troubleshooting, and discovered that communication between the server and client is still very fast.  I pinged with a large 1400 byte packet (I don't do jumbo frames), and this was my results:

Code: [Select]
Pinging 192.168.0.120 with 1400 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.120: bytes=1400 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.120:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

So communication is not slow, even going through 2 switches.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? 

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Skipping 'slowness' - network switch.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 09:09:38 am »

Did you try to temporarily remove the 2nd switch again, to ensure thats really it?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
Re: Skipping 'slowness' - network switch.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:30:39 am »

yep.  I left it out, and used WiFi for the TV.  But my upstairs PC is still connected through a second switch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up