INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyze Audio for Video constantly crashing  (Read 2780 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Analyze Audio for Video constantly crashing
« on: May 27, 2015, 10:48:58 pm »

Over the last several versions, I have periodically worked on running 'Analyze Audio' on my video files a batch at a time. It is randomly crashing with 'Media Center has stopped responding' and it is doing so pretty frequently.  I haven't noticed any pattern to where or when it happens but it is happening enough that I will never complete the process unless I dedicate days of my time to continually restart each time it crashes.  Anyone else run in to this?  Any suggestions on what to do or should I just give up on doing this?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Analyze Audio for Video constantly crashing
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:53:22 pm »

I don't know....I just did a batch of 100 misc type of vid files and all was well here...I'm still on ver.06
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:25:39 am »

Analyze Audio is still a bit flaky with certain video types, I believe (or last I heard anything about it, it was):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93236.0

I know Krazykanuck was having trouble with DVD rips (full ones with a folder full of IFO and VOB files), and he provided Matt with a sample, but I don't know if it got fixed.

If you're having trouble, the recommendation is to do them in small batches. You'll probably find that it is a particular type of files that is causing the lockup. If you can, use DropBox or WikiSend to post an example file in this thread, and Matt or Hendrik will probably take a look.

Also note that the message that "Media Center has stopped responding" does not necessarily indicate that it is crashed.  As is explained in the Troubleshooting Guide, this can mean that MC is just really busy and it can't update the UI thread. Often patience will allow it to "unstick". Analyzing Video files can be pretty resource intensive, depending on the original source file type. If you find a particular file type that causes this, but you find that it does eventually start responding again, please report that as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 04:47:12 am »

The standard vid files I work with, in the main, include:
  • mkv
  • ts
  • mp4

I don't recall having any issue ... ever. And, I've got video auto import settings to analyse audio so TV records (.ts files) are subject to the process on a routine basis. When I do a rip, I religiously analyse audio, so if there's a systemic issue with the above file types then I should have seen something.

My DVDs are ripped using MakeMKV, so I can't comment on vids using DVD file structures or iso rips.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:47:04 am »

The standard vid files I work with, in the main, include:
  • mkv
  • ts
  • mp4

I don't recall having any issue ... ever.

Same here, though I haven't used it heavily, and I don't have auto-analysis enabled.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 06:53:02 am »

Over the last several versions, I have periodically worked on running 'Analyze Audio' on my video files a batch at a time. It is randomly crashing with 'Media Center has stopped responding' and it is doing so pretty frequently.
That sounds like a hang, not a crash.

Windows will report a hang anytime it can't communicate with a program, and I don't think it's always reliable.  I also think the inability to communicate is an OS problem.

Try a smaller group of files and, when it happens, let MC run.  Even overnight.

If the files are on a NAS drive, they are probably being transferred back and forth and that keeps the OS busy.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 08:15:41 am »

That sounds like a hang, not a crash.

Windows will report a hang anytime it can't communicate with a program, and I don't think it's always reliable.  I also think the inability to communicate is an OS problem.

Try a smaller group of files and, when it happens, let MC run.  Even overnight.

If the files are on a NAS drive, they are probably being transferred back and forth and that keeps the OS busy.

I've been pleasantly surprised many times when I've applied patience as you suggest. MC20 has been pretty good to me at bouncing back from hangs and picking up from where it left off (touch wood).
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:16:45 pm »

I would suggest only processing one file at a time.
You can still analyze batches of files, but I'd set it to only process one file at a time.

It will still take advantage of all your CPU cores, but you're generally going to be I/O limited when analyzing video anyway.
I find that processing 1 file at a time generally seems to be far more reliable than processing multiple files at once, and speed is largely unaffected.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:06:05 pm »

Sorry, it is not a 'stopped responding message', it is a 'stopped working' message where Windows just gives you the option to close the program (nothing to wait for).

I have tried processing just one at a time, but it doesn't help.  It seems to happen most on shorter .mpls files, but pretty sure I would have to upload a full BluRay for an example of those.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 05:59:21 pm »

In that case, it is a crash, and the log zip file should contain a crash dump that will probably be helpful.

Please follow:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 10:25:58 pm »

Pretty sure the issue is only with BluRay folder rips and possible specifically with particles.  I have been letting it run on everything except bdmv and mpls files and not a single crash doing that.  I will submit a log when I get to those and it starts crashing again...

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 03:51:18 pm »

Never did get a log file, but I eventually chased this down to a group of mpls particles that were noted as being in a broken stack.  Everything else processed without error.
Pages: [1]   Go Up