INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple libraries, syncing libraries, or relying on meta data & autoimport?  (Read 1875 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen

In my setup of the ID with main library, PC with the best access to manage and maintain a library including adding files, and NAS as file storage: How do I best use MC?

I can think of these alternatives:

• Remote Library: accessing the library of Id through my PC. There's are few problems there, e.g., name of file path (drive letter vs. ip address vs. 'mnt' for Id)
  • Syncing libraries: I don't really know what that is and how it works? Can that be automated? I assume I could run a local library on my PC and sync it to Id - the file path problem might be more complex to handle then?
  • Just work locally on my PC, including syncing with iPod and getting playcounts & rating from it, and relying on 'auto import' on the Id?
  • Or is Device syncing an option (set either PC or Id up as a synced device) - something that apparently is considered for Id 2?

I am a bit at a loss. Help is appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

If you manage files on the PC, you could import the NAS files there, then use the "Handheld Sync" to sync the files to the Id.

Depending on how big a drive you have in the Id, you could also use it as the NAS.

It is possible to add a USB drive to the Id and import files from it.

Ferdi

• World Citizen

I got about 1tb of music / video, and a 120g drive in Id.
I want the files on the NAS, so I don't have to run the PC all the time. (Well, I actually have the files both on NAS and PC, keeping the, in sync with Synology's Cloud Station. Main r Eason is that I back up to cloud, and cN do that only from the PC - Carbonite pricing model).

In that scenario, should I set up the PC as a handheld?

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Does anyone have some more insights? When to use what 'feature' to manage music across Id and PC with files on NAS? 
Device sync, library sync, saving metadata to file / auto import, or remote library seem to be the options, but it is very time consuming figuring out what best to use. Remote library gives me issues with file paths...

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Why wouldn't you just use the Id to serve the Library and connect to it with your other machines?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Ferdi

• World Citizen

That's what I would like to do. But I run into these questions:

managing the library: I do that from my PC, it's better accessible than the Id with keyboard, mouse etc.  I also add new files from here - ripping CDs or downloads from online stores. But doing that, i run into the file path problems that i described in my other question (to which you replied). Double entries of all music files, one version with the 'mtn' file path the other one with '192....' path.

Syncing iPod: also another questions i posted. At the moment, I don't manage to connect my iPod classic directly to the Id for syncing, so do that via PC. Syncing with PC has two problems: one is the duplicate entries in the library when opened remotely (see above, guess that could me managed with smartlists, but another workaround of which I already got so many), the other is that the files need to be transferred wirelessly from NAS to PC for that, and that obviously takes longer time to sync.

But maybe I am missing something fundamental, I have always had that suspicion :o

Therefore,

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I also add new files from here - ripping CDs or downloads from online stores.

You can't do that.

You can upload them to a file-share accessible to the Id, and let the auto-import there pick them up. But you can't Import files using a Library Server Client. Once they're imported on the Id, you can use your Client copy to do all tagging and stuff.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up