INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music I've Downloaded Is Auto Downloading Every Time?  (Read 4270 times)

Dakthorn

Music I've Downloaded Is Auto Downloading Every Time?
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:35:54 am »

Every time I start my Pono software up, it starts automatically downloading all of the music I've purchased and already downloaded from the store?

How do I set it so that it recognizes the music has already been downloaded?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Music I've Downloaded Is Auto Downloading Every Time?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 08:49:55 am »

You could report that to Pono, but you may just need to update your software.  The latest builds are near the top of this board.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Joe.P

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 05:31:51 pm »

My music re-downloads every time I start the software too.  This has been happening since .44, and it's happening in .100 too.  I also had all my tags blow up while editing, and as far as I know that hasn't been fixed either.

I reported both of these problems to Pono, and they told me to hope the next JRiver update contains fixes. No such fixes were ever announced, so I asked about this on the.82 thread, but a moderator closed that thread without responding.

I haven't bought any music from Pono since encountering these problems last fall. New software is always going to have bugs. I'm OK with bugs at this early stage, if they are assigned to somebody somewhere. Design defects, not so much, but those are mostly in the player. I just wish in return for being Kickstarter supporters and early adopters we could get more information on the bug queue and product roadmap. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 06:09:54 pm »

When I reported this to Pono, they said:

"... try emptying the Trash. On Macs files are cached in a .Trash folder on storage devices, so they are not completely removed from that device until the Trash on the computer is emptied."

Joe.P

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 06:34:20 pm »

When I reported this to Pono, they said:

"... try emptying the Trash. On Macs files are cached in a .Trash folder on storage devices, so they are not completely removed from that device until the Trash on the computer is emptied."

Interesting. Not a solution for my Windows installation though. To make things more interesting, this only happens to two of the three albums I've purchased, and one of them fails to re-download every time.

Looking at this further, it may be because I fixed the release dates on all my tracks. Originally the date fields were empty. I changed them all to the actual release date, 1963, and now the software is downloading duplicates with 2014 release dates. Maybe if I delete the old duplicated tracks with the 1963 date, this problem will go away.

However: (a) the first time I touched the tags, some bug caused every track and album in my library to get the same title, and (b) one album's tracks don't have duplicates because it fails to re-download every time. Possibly there are more problems with other tags in that one.  

I spent two months trying to get help or maybe a credit for replacement downloads from Pono, receiving dozens of clueless disconnected responses, before I finally just called their office. In the end, a support supervisor just gave me the tag info and told me to input it all manually. Good thing I have only three albums in there. Not looking forward to dealing with this again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 07:06:05 pm »

You might look at the trash folder on the device.

Joe.P

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 01:18:05 am »

You might look at the trash folder on the device.

Yeah...Windows doesn't make sense like that, sorry. But I went into C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Roaming\J River\PonoMusic World 20\Library\Cache\File List Sort, and took away the index.dat file, which was recreated when I restarted Music World, and so far so good: no re-downloading. I'll let you know what happens when I run the app again tomorrow.

Joe.P

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 10:41:00 am »

Eureka, it seems to have worked. In Windows, delete index.dat in \AppData\Roaming\J River\PonoMusic World 20\Library\Cache\File List Sort

I still wouldn't dare edit tags in this app, but at least the re-downloading has gone away. I think. Knock-on-wood. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 10:43:51 am »

The tagging should be as good as any program.

Joe.P

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 01:25:35 am »

The tagging should be as good as any program.
The tagging blew up the first time I tried to edit a date field. Each change to one field affected several others. Eventually, as I tried to fix this, every track and every album in my library wound up with the same name, even though I'd only touched one. I spent a lot of time on this with Pono Support. I reported every step necessary to recreate this problem to them, and also posted it here on this forum but got no response. A Pono Support supervisor retrieved the tag data so I could fix it all by hand, but that's all they could do. This is the other reason I stopped purchasing music from Pono last fall after only three albums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up