INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maximize SNR?  (Read 3335 times)

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
Maximize SNR?
« on: June 07, 2015, 11:21:23 am »

Hey Guys

Okay, so what is the right way to maximize SNR utilizing the JRiver volume control?  I've got JRiver feeding Steinberg UR824 which then feeds a pair of powered full-range speakers with gain controls.  I've got the UR824's "volume" maxed out.  Should I be lowered the gain levels on the powered speakers so that I can get close to maxing out the JRiver volume as a "max" setting?

Thanks,
Jim

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Maximize SNR?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:27:16 pm »

The UR824 outputs a maximum of +18dBU (6.15 VRMS). You want to make sure the gain is adjusted on the power speakers so they will only clip when sent maximum power.

The UR824 volume should be all the way up all the time.

What powered speakers do you have? Do they have a clip light? Also, do you still have the SEOS 12" / AE-TD12M speakers?

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:36:16 pm »

The UR824 outputs a maximum of +18dBU (6.15 VRMS). You want to make sure the gain is adjusted on the power speakers so they will only clip when sent maximum power.

The UR824 volume should be all the way up all the time.

What powered speakers do you have? Do they have a clip light? Also, do you still have the SEOS 12" / AE-TD12M speakers?

Good memory, mojave!!   ;D

I actually have moved on to something a little "easier" but no less dynamic and BIG sounding.  The speakers are now QSC HPR153is.  Got a great deal locally for a pair that looked pretty babied.  Was thinking about the newer KW series but hate the idea of A->D->A.  The HPRs are all analog!!  I'll likely do some correcting down the road, but they sound quite nice out of the box.

Anyway, yes, the speakers do have a clip light.  How do I set the level so that it only comes on when sent max power?

Thanks!!

Jim

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 01:13:02 pm »

Good memory, mojave!!   ;D

I actually have moved on to something a little "easier" but no less dynamic and BIG sounding.  The speakers are now QSC HPR153is.  Got a great deal locally for a pair that looked pretty babied.  Was thinking about the newer KW series but hate the idea of A->D->A.  The HPRs are all analog!!  I'll likely do some correcting down the road, but they sound quite nice out of the box.

Anyway, yes, the speakers do have a clip light.  How do I set the level so that it only comes on when sent max power?

Thanks!!

Jim

The more I think about this, should I adjust the JRiver volume to maximum and then set the gain on the speakers to zero....and slowly bump it up until the clip light comes on?  Then, leave the gain on the speakers at that point and going forward adjust volume via JRiver?

-Jim

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:20:56 pm »

The more I think about this, should I adjust the JRiver volume to maximum and then set the gain on the speakers to zero....and slowly bump it up until the clip light comes on?  Then, leave the gain on the speakers at that point and going forward adjust volume via JRiver?

-Jim

That will work, but you forgot a step: turn the speakers back down a little at the end!  If your clip light actually reflects a clip (and isn't just a "signal" light AKA a pre-clip indicator) you don't actually want the light to ever come on.  You want a maximum volume signal that almost turns on the light.

Make sure to use something like a -3dBFS sine wave for testing or you won't actually get a peak measurement.

That won't necessarily maximize your SNR for normal listening though as you'll probably wind up doing a ton of digital attenuation in JRiver (your speakers may play much louder than you'd care to hear for very long).  In practice, you'll probably want to turn the analog volume controls on the speakers farther down than "nearly clipping."  You want to do as little digital attenuation as you can get away with.  I'd recommend setting the max volume in JRiver to be as loud as you'd ever want to hear, not as loud as the speakers will go (assuming the former is lower than the latter).
Pages: [1]   Go Up