INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to have view change with zone on second display?  (Read 2579 times)

Spanker

• Recent member
Possible to have view change with zone on second display?
« on: June 10, 2015, 06:56:58 am »

Hi,

it's my first post here. :)
I have been using JRiver for several years now, but just for music.
The time has come to use JRiver as the central software for all audio/video enjoyment.
This means that all the video and zone features are quite new to me.

I'm considering to buy a HTPC case with build-in tft screen (Origen) and wonder about the possibilities for the screen.
After doing a lot of searching on the forum I couldn't find any info about it.

I wonder if it is possible to have different views on a second display which would be controlled by the zone you are using.
What I would like to achieve, for example:

Zone Music
Theater View (on main display)
Cover View (on HTPC screen)

Zone Movies
Theaterview (on main display)
Mini View (on HTPC view with black background?), or better even just "volume -40.0 db" in a tweakable manner.

The idea is that I do not want the HTPC screen to radiate a lot of distracting light when watching movies through JRiver.
When playing music I would like to enjoy the screen though.

Or does the solution exist in using 3rd party software/ plugins?

I realize I could always turn to a solution with a VFD, but the screen looks tempting at the moment.

I hope someone has some experience with using a second screen as described, thank you already for any replies.

regards, Henk

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible to have view change with zone on second display?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:34:49 am »

Hi Henk, just a little off-topic here, so I apologise.

Please do some research before you shell out a lot of money for a case with a screen. The majority of people who did so found that they never used the screen as much as they thought they would, or that it was impractical. Almost all I have read from have said they would not buy it again.

Personally, I would save the money on the case and buy:
A regular HTPC case, sans screen.
An iPad or Android tablet and run JRemote.

- JRemote can give you all the info you need on what is playing, or for cuing up something else, in any zone.
- It's easier to use, since it's in your hands or nearby - no squinting to read a tiny screen at distance.
- No distracting light on the HTPC itself.

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:10:42 am »

Thanks Fibrit,

I appreciate your comments and it definitely makes me reconsider. ::)
It's just that prices have dropped, so you hardly pay extra for the screen on the second hand market.

However, if many have found it to be impractical, it is wise to think it over again.
I know VFD is supposed to work with JRiver.
Since I will be replacing my preamp/processor, a volume and source/zone reading would be very convient.

Controlling the volume with Gizmo is a bit counter intuitive imo, so I prefer using an IR remote for that.
That way, integrating sat tv is easier as well, since JRiver has no solution to deal with european encrypted sat tv at this time.

csimon

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:24:34 am »

There have been quite a few threads on the subject and some plugins that may or may not help, e.g.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84378.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63181.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84039.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90568.0

FWIW I have an Origen M10 case with built-in iMon VFD, but while I could get the display to work with the software that came with it (shows basic Windows system information and media information from specific programs) I couldn't get it to work with JRiver/LCDSmartie.

I would have made use of it, it's just that it's a real pain to ty and get it working.  And then the power supply board/wiring became flaky and temperamental so the PC has been built in another case and the Origen is left idle...

With regard to using what is effectivealy a second monitor rather than a VFD display, I don't think MC can split its screen like that.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:06:19 am »

Since you mentioned Gizmo, I assume you have an Android device. JRemote is now available for Android. It's a $10 purchase, I think, but it should be much easier to use than Gizmo for volume etc, providing a nice slider.
Since we believe that MC cannot split its screen that way, having JRemote as the second screen, (while being able to control what is on the main screen too!), could be a good way to go. And of course, there's nothing to stop you getting the TFT screened case AND using your Android device too. :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:19:51 am »

If your screen is essentially a second monitor, MC can't split it's screen, but webgizmo is a not bad way to handle JRiver control in those circumstances.  You can open up a full-screen browser on the second screen and effectively have Gizmo-like controls on that screen.  That's what I've done when trying to use small screens for JRiver control.  It's not perfect, but if you don't have/want a separate control device it, or something like it, is probably your best bet

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:52:15 am »

If your screen is essentially a second monitor, MC can't split it's screen, but webgizmo is a not bad way to handle JRiver control in those circumstances.  You can open up a full-screen browser on the second screen and effectively have Gizmo-like controls on that screen.  That's what I've done when trying to use small screens for JRiver control.  It's not perfect, but if you don't have/want a separate control device it, or something like it, is probably your best bet

Not a bad idea!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:58:25 am »

Not a bad idea!

I have a few DIY arm-based devices that I've grafted little touch screens onto that can't run android, so I was looking into ways to control MC on them that didn't involve android apps or theater view (which doesn't work on Linux).  Web Gizmo was the answer.  It's not in as heavy development as Gizmo or JRemote, so it's not as full-featured as regular gizmo and doesn't always look the best, but if you're just using it as a remote interface to an existing instance of MC it's pretty capable.

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 01:26:06 pm »

Thnx guys, this feels like a really warm welcome with your reactions.

Since I want to move forward I went ahead with a case from Origen with just a VFD display.
Apparently the VFD is a bit of a challenge, but I'll give it a go. 

I have to dive into the JRemote, until now I assumed it's just the IR remote solution JRiver offers.
With many decisions like this it's imperative that it can also be used/understood by girlfriends and the sorts.
I suppose you guys know the score..

There are still many issues to tackle in my scheme, so I'll might back with more question.
My goal is to build a fully digital home theater system based around JRiver with convolution.

The possibilities are just outrageous: to achieve such audio quality with some software and a computer really is turning the audiophile wolrd upside down, imo.

Sat Tv is a challenge, but mojave already hinted it can be solved with a capture card like Colossus.
Building zones for TV, Music and Movies should do the trick, still a lot to discover.

Anyway, I'm drifting off topic.
I tried the Imonplugin last night but so far without succes.
We'll see.
Thnx again.

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 01:28:45 pm »

Great links csimon, thnx.
I only found before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up