INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer is excruciatingly slow... any suggestions?  (Read 19599 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Transfer is excruciatingly slow... any suggestions?
« on: June 11, 2015, 09:05:41 am »

As per Subject, transfer of files is excruciatingly slow... taking 24+ hours to fill the Pono.

Using latest firmware and latest Pono World software.

In the Pono videos files are seen transferring at high speed, so not sure what's wrong at my end...

Any suggestions?

l8mdl

• Recent member
Re: Transfer is excruciatingly slow... any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 02:18:59 pm »

If you look at the timestamp on the Pono videos you'll see that they are "fast-forwarded" (the transfer of the two albums to the Pono actually starts at 30 minutes (at 6:30 on the tape))! I recommend just dragging and dropping and staying away from PMW when possible. It really is only needed for firmware updates. To do so, keep PMW closed, plug in the Pono, select transfer and open your file directory. The Pono will appear as one or two drives (if you have a card installed it will show 2). Then just drag your new files to the correct location.

Since Pono only supports USB 2.0 it's still pretty slow but not as slow as from within PMW.

The_Traced

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 10:37:33 pm »

Yeah I've been having an extremely frustrating time lately trying to sync to my Pono as well. I don't know if it's a windows problem, sent it in for repairs twice, I don't think it works well with windows 8 after a while. I could be wrong but I can't fathom a reason for mine either.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 03:25:03 am »

I added a 128gb card this week and transfer speeds on this card are much faster than the original card.  The internal storage, however, remains interminably slow.

I guess I'll set things up so that the internal contains my unchanging album selection and use the external drive for albums that come and go...

Maybe Pono 2 will be faster  ::)

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 02:09:53 pm »

The other day I came across a transfer that also said it would take a day.

I discovered it was because I tagged most of the Custom Album I made with MP3tag and then had to edit a few things in PMW.
The Pono doesn't seem to like this.

I redid everything with MP3tag and it loaded in 3 minutes.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:10:49 am »

I discovered it was because I tagged most of the Custom Album I made with MP3tag and then had to edit a few things in PMW.

If you update/change tags outside of PMW you need to tell PMW to update its library database with the new tag changes.

1. make tag changes using something like MP3Tag
2. open PMW
3. select the files/albums that have new tags, or just select all files in PMW
4. In PMW go Tools >> Library Tools >> Update Library (from tags)

That will sync up PMW's internal database with the tag changes
Now sync the PonoPlayer and it will sync with the updated tags

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 06:50:26 pm »

Cheers!

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 10:17:46 pm »

OK,
I'm now thinking the successful upload was with drive "F" the second time and not "G" the first time I was unsuccessful.

Tonight I realized the problem is with the main drive "F".
The upload speed was high (355 KB/s) but it got stuck on 5% loaded and took about 5 minutes to get to 5%...yet the graph still said 355 KB/S speed even when stuck.

I then tried the drive "G" (card) and it loaded normally in a few minutes.

The same happened with two more album (files)

Who do I contact about a damaged Pono?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 07:51:18 am »

Disk full?

Try emptying the trash on the disk.

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 11:45:08 am »

Both the Pono and Sata card are only about 20-30% filled each.

"Try emptying the trash on the disk."

I didn't know I could or needed to do such a thing.
I just checked and don't know where to find it.
Besides...I'm getting the data that both are not even half full.

I just did some experimenting and while the Sata card works normally in all situations it's the uploading of music onto the actual Pono (F) that has stopped working.
I can still remove and transfer files from the "F" drive of the Pono normally.

Edit~ I just went into the control panel to check this device and noticed only "G" (the Sata card that works properly) is listed.
"F" is missing.
?

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 12:07:00 pm »

OK...
Since both "F" & "G" show up in my File Explorer I opened the properties of the "F" drive and did a Tool scan which resulted in it's "working properly".
Should I click "optimize" to optimize and defragment the drive?

Or should I move the files onto my PC and reformat the drive to whatever the card is?

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 08:35:20 am »

Disk full?

Try emptying the trash on the disk.

Jim,
I assume it's empty since there's no trash folder.
Should I wipe the drive?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 08:57:08 am »

Please contact Pono at ponomusic.com for help.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 10:13:47 am »

I assume it's empty since there's no trash folder.
Should I wipe the drive?

My guess is if you "wipe the drive" you will lose the operating system and turn your Pono into a paperweight. CALL PONO! Their support number is on the last page of the "Quick Start" guide that came with your player.

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 11:29:58 am »

Did you happen to get any resolution to this?  I'm seeing the same problem with the internal storage.  Starts at about 3MB/sec and quickly drops to about 0.2MB/sec.  Then after awhile the transfer starts to error out on all files.

My concern is it's very slow from within straight Windows too (Win7 Pro).  So I'm thinking this is a Pono issue and not MediaCenter/PMW.  I also tried a different USB cable just in case.

Eugene

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 02:52:18 pm »

Someone else reported that leaving 10% of the SD card open helped the speed issue.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 11:18:39 am »

Sorry to bump something a little old, but...

I was having the same issue. If I used PMW to transfer files, transfer time is GLACIAL. Since PMW didn't give me a good feel for HOW slow, I closed that out and opened up trusty ol' Windows Explorer. Transfers, when the drive was empty (I formatted it) and copied music over. The first 10 GB was zippy at 4 MB/s (zippy comparatively speaking). Then it hit 355 KB/s. Then... it just stopped. Formatted again, same story.

Emailed Pono after trying all kinds of things (different storage medium, different PC, etc, etc, etc). Turns out my Pono is going back for repair. In this case, Pono's support has made me happy, even if it takes a little while to get a response.

simpsond

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 10:05:40 am »

Very slow PC / Mac -> PonoPlayer USB transfers are a problem with the newer PonoPlayer 1.06 firmware release for many folks. According to support, a fix is currently being looked at Pono.

I am having the exact problems as slerch666 had in that it will start up quick at a few MBs/sec for a very short time, then slow to exactly 355KB/sec from then on out, occasionally going to 0MB/sec and very occasionally 'bouncing back' to a couple of MB/sec and then back to 355MB/sec. And then eventually hanging up at 0MB/sec.

This only affects the PonoPlayer internal memory for me. The external 'drive' always accepts transfers quickly at a few MB/sec.

The only way I have found around this for now is to eject the PonoPlayer via USB (being very careful not to run into the dreaded PonoPlayer loss of memory; a common trait of unplugging most any USB cable from an external device, before the PC/Mac ejects the device), unplug it, go to 'Shutdown' mode, turn it back on and then try another download. It will then go through the same scenario  as above, but at least I can get a few songs at a time transferred.

This has been happening to me the past couple of months or so...

sonicreducer

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 04:29:00 am »

I"m having the exact same problem, it starts off OK, then drops from like 3.1MB/s to 0.3MB/s and them bombs out, I don't have the same problem when I copy files to my external 128gig Micro SD card...

It seems to only happen when copying music to the PONO's internal storage, I hope it isn't a device problem as I am in Australia and will have to wait months to get it fixed!! I've tried all sorts of workarounds: changing the USB cable, changing from USB2 to USB 3 ports, I have Windows 10, but have the same problem when I tried a straight copy to my old XP box!! I also tried to update tags in PMW, still the same problem!

I've logged a Salesforce service request, haven't got a reply yet, this was on Saturday...

Hopefully its only a firmware thing and PONO fix it quickly since I really enjoy listening to music with it!!

darrinm1

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 08:38:08 pm »

I had the same issue everyone has described. I discussed with customer service and they had me send it back and i got it back about a week and a half later. All is great. They had to replace the board. Back to quick downloads again. I filled up the 64 gig card in about 2 hours instead of 1 day for 5 gig. I still think it is a great device.

Darrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up