INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Series  (Read 3652 times)

Arishem

TV Series
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:13:40 am »

Just installed JRiver on trial.  I looked at JRiver a few years back and it didn't fit my needs but wanted to give it another try.

Background (bit of a long ramble):  I run an Unraid server with about 10TB of Movie, TV Show episode and Audio files.  In the past I used XBMC on a RPi but recently have been running a Plex server on the Unraid box, using a Plex client app on my LG TV.

I have just purchased components for a HTPC.  I like the Pi, but I want to get a bit more out of my player, including some gaming capabilities.  I will be using an AMD A6-7400K as the guts, with 4GB RAM and an SSD for storage.

Given that I am embarking on a new build I thought I would consider software options.  I like Plex.  The library set-up and management is simple and effective.  I also use the mobile clients to watch content during my commute and love that it is all off a single database with syncing of watched status, etc.   What drew me back to consider JRiver was the hope of improved picture quality.  I spent a bit of coin on a nice TV and now a HTPC and want to maximize the hardware capabilities with the choice of software.  

Today i have downloaded and installed the latest Unraid.  I ran the Media Import and pointed it at my Movies folder.  For the most part JRiver correctly identified the movie and downloaded the metadata and images.  My TV Shows have not gone so well.  It seems like every episode is being picked up as a separate entry with only a few series being built up.  I use a variety of structures and naming conventions for my TV shows.  Each show is in it's own folder.  Sometime the episodes are split into separate folders and sometimes all in one - or a bit of both.  The wiki appears to indicate that only the file name is used to determine the series and folders are excluded.  Can anyone confirm that JRiver will expect a uniform file naming structure or am I missing some options on import?  All of my files will have the season and episode number (a couple of methods are used), but they don't all have the series name in the file.  Cheers.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: My J River Journey - TV Series
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 05:56:19 am »

This kind of question comes up a lot with new users.

I'd recommend putting these two Wiki topics on to your "must read" list:

You should get some pretty good mileage out of the above.

The first one covers off file naming convention, such that Carnac (MC's metadata translation engine) will offer optimum performance.

The 2nd topic offers guidance on tools that you can use to manipulate file names, metadata tags or both to suit your needs and preferences.

If you need further input after looking at the above, go right ahead and ask.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: TV Series
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 10:06:36 pm »

If you have any questions or need help, please come back and ask specific questions.  This community is at least as nice and helpful as the unRAID community, which I also frequent.

Personally, I run a windows8 VM on my unRAID box, with JRiver installed in that VM, and it works FANTASTIC for me.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, and pleased with the results, once you get thru the initial (and potentially frustrating) learning curve and setup of JRiver.  But, rest assured, it's well worth the time you'll spend!!
pretend this is something funny

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »

Personally, I run a windows8 VM on my unRAID box, with JRiver installed in that VM, and it works FANTASTIC for me.

This is EXACTLY what I wish to do, but am too scared to get started! :)
Are you using unraid 6?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:52:02 pm »

Don't be scared; it works great. (yes, running v6)  On the unRAID forums, if you search for windows8 VM justinchase, I suspect you'll find some posts of mine to help get you started.

I just moved to a new house, and just got (terrible, slow) internet installed, so I'm not as 'johnny-on-ths-spot' with replies as I used to be, but I'll monitor this thread, and unRAID forums to see if you need help with anything.

FYI, unRAID v6 final was released last night, and I suggest you update to that before starting; just to be sure you've got the latest code.

Oh, forgot to mention, do you know if your motherboard AND processor are vt-d capable (or AMD equivalent)?  If not, you may not be able to pass thru your GPU; which will make this not work well/at all.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 04:04:34 pm »

Don't be scared; it works great. (yes, running v6)  On the unRAID forums, if you search for windows8 VM justinchase, I suspect you'll find some posts of mine to help get you started.

I just moved to a new house, and just got (terrible, slow) internet installed, so I'm not as 'johnny-on-ths-spot' with replies as I used to be, but I'll monitor this thread, and unRAID forums to see if you need help with anything.

FYI, unRAID v6 final was released last night, and I suggest you update to that before starting; just to be sure you've got the latest code.

Oh, forgot to mention, do you know if your motherboard AND processor are vt-d capable (or AMD equivalent)?  If not, you may not be able to pass thru your GPU; which will make this not work well/at all.

Thanks a lot for the help and encouragement. Part of the problem is that I am running on core2duo generation hardware, so it may be unlikely to have the vt-d thing. But I shall check. I was planning to upgrade the CPU/motherboard and RAM before embarking on that project.
No need to monitor the threads. I will take a look at them and will send you a PM before I get started (if ever). You can then check out my posts in your unraid forum thread if you're still inclined to do so. For now, my hands are full. If by miracle my CPU/mobo are vt-d compatible, I may get started a bit sooner!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 04:12:41 pm »

NO problem.  I'm happy to help where/when I can.

Fingers crossed you're vt-d capable!

if you want to post back with your cpu and motherboard models, I'll take a look and see what they say.

intel lookup

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:14 pm »

vt-d was introduced with Nehalem CPUs (the first Core i5/i7 series chips) and even then it was only the high-end ones.  AMDs version (called AMD-Vi) was introduced a bit earlier, but if you're on a Core 2 Duo series chip, it won't be supported.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:30 pm »

vt-d was introduced with Nehalem CPUs (the first Core i5/i7 series chips) and even then it was only the high-end ones.  AMDs version (called AMD-Vi) was introduced a bit earlier, but if you're on a Core 2 Duo series chip, it won't be supported.

Thanks, glynor. I happen to only have Clarkdale i3s and i5s. Oh well. Time to upgrade when I have some money.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 10:47:06 am »

VT-d also needs mainboard support, and the piece of hardware you want to pass-through also needs to support it.
IME, its not worth it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 10:55:55 am »

VT-d also needs mainboard support, and the piece of hardware you want to pass-through also needs to support it.
IME, its not worth it.

True.  In my situation it's definitely worth it.  Getting rid of the HTPC and having just one computer is better for me.  It was some hoop jumping to get it working, but totally worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up