INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSF files overwhelm Raspberry Pi 2B running JRiver, but not running Volumio  (Read 3714 times)

alank

• Recent member

My first foray into networked digital audio was to play files through JRiver to a BeagleBone Black renderer to my living room stereo system. Seemed to work well and played all sample rates up to the 192kHz of my DAC (a SchittFrost I bought for this foray).

The next step was to put together a Raspberry Pi 2B running Volumio. This also has tested out well, including playing DSF files (converted by JRiver on my desktop t0 176kHz/32 bit for playback.)

Third step was to build a Raspberry Pi 2B running JRiver for ARM using the tutorials and tweeks contained on the Interact forum. This has worked well, except JRiver will not render the very same DSF files (again converted by JRiver on my desktop). JRiver would constantly stop playing for a while, start buffering, and then continue. Not so on the Volumio box.

Since the hardware is identical, I assume that it is something about JRiver or the Linux configuration.

I like the idea of running JRiver on several boxes at several sites around the house, just for the consistency. But the seeming limitation of JRiver not being able to play the DSF files has me wondering whether there are other tweeks I need to do to the ARM box, or if I should simply stick with what works out of the box: Volumio.

Any thoughts on solutions to get past the last hurdle of playing DSF through the JRiver/Raspberry box?

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe

The MPD decoder used in Volumio is multi threaded so the RPi2 can spread the resampling load across multiple cores.

The MC20 decoding and resampling on ARM is currently single threaded.

I've also asked for the guys to consider enabling multithreaded decoding and resampling but my guess is that's a fair bit of work.

alank

• Recent member

Thanks, that makes sense. I did read in another thread that was a bit beyond me about someone making modifications to their installation to force use of additional processing cores.
Pages: [1]   Go Up