INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [20.0.115] Different display for different views  (Read 3135 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
[20.0.115] Different display for different views
« on: June 14, 2015, 07:17:34 am »

This was passively mentioned in a previous thread I started, but wasn't the main issue of discussion. Is there a way to configure MC so that it will jump to one display when switching to standard view, then to another when switching to theatre view, and back again? This question arises out of the same intentions expressed in the aforementioned thread: connected to my HTPC is a Dell P2214H (standard (AH-?)IPS computer monitor) via DVI as my primary display, whereas my secondary display is a Panasonic TC-P55VT60 (55" plasma television) via HDMI. The latter's sole purpose in the context of the HTPC is to display MC in theatre view to better prevent burn-in, whereas the monitor is there in case I need to perform other tasks in MC, such as changing options, importing media, and editing metadata, as well as web browsing, BD/DVD ripping, and what not else. Now, the displays are extended, so I can click and drag MC to the appropriate monitor; what I'm describing would just be ridiculously convenient. If it cannot be done as of now, consider this a feature request, possibly to be mentioned and linked in the "Too Easy" thread, if it can be done in less than an hour. :P

Goatshade

Re: [20.0.115] Different display for different views
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:08:25 am »

On a related note, why do the Windows key+arrow keys not work to snap MC to the left and right, or to maximise? Only WIN+down seems to work in minimising it, and that's only when MC is not already maximised. I ask because I do tend to favour keyboard input where possible.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:43:27 am »

On a related note, why do the Windows key+arrow keys not work to snap MC to the left and right, or to maximise? Only WIN+down seems to work in minimising it, and that's only when MC is not already maximised. I ask because I do tend to favour keyboard input where possible.

Try Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, thru Ctrl+4 ...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Goatshade

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:49:29 am »

Those switch between MC's views, like standard, theatre, display, &c.
Apologies, I was perhaps not clear: I was referring to window snapping, particularly in windowed views, like standard view. For all other Windows applications, such as, say, Notepad, pressing WIN+Up maximises, WIN+Down minimises, and WIN+Left or Right snaps the window to the left or right of the screen, respectively. This does not work in MC (or really, any application that seems to use its own custom window skin, such as DVDFab).

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:28:02 am »

I can confirm that some standard windows hotkey combos (win+right, win+left, etc.) don't work consistently with MC. 

Win + up does work for me, but win + down doesn't work for me if MC is already maximized (as noted above).

MC is the only software I run that doesn't respect the hotkeys (even Steam takes them and it's window is pretty funky/heavily skinned).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 11:40:04 am »

I can confirm that some standard windows hotkey combos (win+right, win+left, etc.) don't work consistently with MC.  

Win + up does work for me, but win + down doesn't work for me if MC is already maximized (as noted above).

MC is the only software I run that doesn't respect the hotkeys (even Steam takes them and it's window is pretty funky/heavily skinned).

Aero Snap, and the related system, is only available to applications built using standard Windows controls (such as Windows Forms or any of Microsoft's other of it's array of UI programming systems). MC does not use Microsoft's controls at all, anywhere. To handle the ones it handles, JRiver has to custom code everything themselves (which is, of course, all OS-specific, and could break and require re-writing each time Microsoft revises the OS).

All those other apps you have, get it for "free".  Steam is an example of another application that almost certainly has to custom code it all. It does pretty well now, but that has been a long-slog. And, of course, their team is a tiny bit bigger than JRiver.

Not to suggest that I wouldn't like it to behave in a more standard way with regards to these commands, but just to explain that it is by-no-means a "simple" request.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Goatshade

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 11:50:49 am »

What about the initial request in my OP? Is that any easier, or would it be even harder than getting MC to respect the WIN hotkeys?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 12:04:33 pm »

I don't know exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but you can already tell MC to put all fullscreen displays on a particular monitor:

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Full Screen > Monitor

You can specify a particular monitor, and then MC will always send its fullscreen displays (Theater View and Display View) to that monitor. When you exit back to Standard View, it jumps back to the last-used monitor where it was running before.

This, plus having Detached Displays, allows you to do a lot with multiple monitors. If you want the output of a particular Zone to always go to a particular monitor, fullscreen, you can Detach a Display and put it there. Detached Displays remember their size (including full-screen or not) and window position (including which monitor they're on), on a per-zone basis.

Perhaps you should explain what you've tried and what isn't working, or maybe you didn't discover any of that, and this will help.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 12:25:03 pm »

Not to suggest that I wouldn't like it to behave in a more standard way with regards to these commands, but just to explain that it is by-no-means a "simple" request.

I was just confirming OP's report and I recognize that implementation of hotkeys is non-trivial. I've just gotten spoiled in that MC for linux does seem to respect window manager hotkeys for the most part (even if the actual maximize and minimize buttons don't always work correctly), so I find myself trying to use the windows hotkeys repeatedly before realizing it won't work.  Not a high priority item for me, just wanted to confirm OP's point as there seemed to be some confusion at that point in the thread.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 12:28:32 pm »

Aero Snap, and the related system, is only available to applications built using standard Windows controls (such as Windows Forms or any of Microsoft's other of it's array of UI programming systems). MC does not use Microsoft's controls at all, anywhere. To handle the ones it handles, JRiver has to custom code everything themselves (which is, of course, all OS-specific, and could break and require re-writing each time Microsoft revises the OS).

Oh and, for the record, the actual Aero snap resizing-by-dragging-to-the-edge-of-screen functionality currently does work just fine with MC.  It's just the analogous hotkeys that don't work.

Goatshade

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 01:37:12 pm »

I don't know exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but you can already tell MC to put all fullscreen displays on a particular monitor:

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Full Screen > Monitor

You can specify a particular monitor, and then MC will always send its fullscreen displays (Theater View and Display View) to that monitor. When you exit back to Standard View, it jumps back to the last-used monitor where it was running before.

This, plus having Detached Displays, allows you to do a lot with multiple monitors. If you want the output of a particular Zone to always go to a particular monitor, fullscreen, you can Detach a Display and put it there. Detached Displays remember their size (including full-screen or not) and window position (including which monitor they're on), on a per-zone basis.

Perhaps you should explain what you've tried and what isn't working, or maybe you didn't discover any of that, and this will help.

That did help. In fact, it's exactly what I was looking for, but didn't know about. I really appreciate it. :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 02:26:14 pm »

That did help. In fact, it's exactly what I was looking for, but didn't know about. I really appreciate it. :)

Great. Glad I could help!

Oh and, for the record, the actual Aero snap resizing-by-dragging-to-the-edge-of-screen functionality currently does work just fine with MC.

I wouldn't say it works "just fine".  It works pretty well, but (like hotkeys) not all of the dragging commands work right.  You can't, for example, drag the top/bottom edge of MC's window to the top/bottom edge of your monitor, and have it go full-vertical-height (without maximizing) as you can in other native windows. I use this gesture incessantly, and it bothers me that MC doesn't support it.

The drag-and-hold also doesn't work quite the same with MC as it does with native windows. In MC if you drag to the screen edge, it actually maximizes (or docks to the side), even while you hold the mouse button.  Native windows show a maximize animation and a transparent screen overlay "preview", but doesn't show the change to the Window appearance until you let go. Functionally, MC's implementation is identical (you can pull away from the edge and "cancel" the maximization) but it doesn't look the same.

They've done a decent job, but it isn't quite "native", even when it comes to Aero Snap accessed-via-the-mouse.

Pages: [1]   Go Up