INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track# missing for some cd's  (Read 2350 times)

aysil

• Recent member
Track# missing for some cd's
« on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:17 pm »

I had large collection of music files without tags, organized in a folder structure of <Artist>\<Album>\<Track#>-<Title>
When I started using JRiver, I was able to tag all files thanks to the "library tools>fill properties from filename" feature. Everything went smoothly and correctly; except track# on some CD's. In the library, some CD's remain without track# information, and in some other CD's only some of the tracks have a track# assigned although the filenames contain the number in the same manner in all. Can you help me with this? Redoing the "fill properties from filename" process did not help.

aysil

• Recent member
Re: Track# missing for some cd's
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 01:52:40 pm »

I found out that all tracks without a track# assigned have a "-" character in their title (which is quite common), that means there is a second "-" in the filename. Can you think of an easier way of solving this for me than renaming all such files or assigning track# for each such track?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:57:49 pm »

Code: [Select]
[Track #]- doesn't work? According to your information, it should work in all cases.

aysil

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:07:18 pm »

If there is a "-" in the title, MC does not assign a track#, although it extracts the title correctly (including the "-").

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 02:16:17 pm »

Don't use the automatic template.

Based on your information, [Track #]-[Name] will fill out everything correctly. Anything before the first '-' is treated as the Track #, anything after it is treated as the Title.

aysil

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 02:39:47 pm »

Hmmm... interesting.
I have another library created later with the last version MC with exactly the same procedure from another harddisk. As you say, there is no mistake or missing track#.
The missing track#s are in my earlier library created with some older version of MC (I don't remember which, could also be some mac version because I have both), so it may be a bug corrected at some point of development.

aysil

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 03:09:00 pm »

The problem is I cannot correct my earlier library and add the track#s.
I tried "fill properties from filename" again, it did not work;
I tried "remove tags" and then "fill properties from filename" and "update library from tags"; and still nothing changed.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 05:41:56 pm »

For the songs that don't have a track number in JRiver:  Does the file name contain the track number still?  If so, you can definitely do this with Fill Properties From File name.  It's just a matter of typing in the right text to capture it.

I'd start by selecting a few song files that don't have a track number.  You can do this by showing all files in the Files view and then sorting by track number.  That will group them all together.  Then select some and do Fill Properties.  Fill out the Filename section to contain [Track #] in the proper place.  You'll notice that off to the right it shows all of the files you have selected, and shows what fields it has found and what it is going to set them to.  As you adjust the Filename template, what MC sees should be picked up on the right side.  This is great for testing because it means you won't make any changes until you are sure you have the template set up correctly.

If you are having trouble with it, please paste in a few file names of your problem files.  I'm certain we can help you extract the Track number from those file names!

Brian.

aysil

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 01:40:56 am »

Yes, the "fill properties" feature IS working perfectly, and I can build new libraries with this procedure as you described. All artist, album, track#, and track-title information (and cover art from the folder) is extracted correctly (and written on tags so that other instances of MC on other computers instantly recognize the information).

My problem was an older library, built by an earlier version of MC, which apparently was confused by multiple "-" characters on the file name and could not write the track# information for those files. I could not add the missing track#s by redoing the procedure, even after erasing all tags (or maybe the program was not able to erase the tags).

Anyway, my solution will be to delete that whole library, and rebuilt it with the latest version of MC; and I hope everything would be fine. I would loose some subsequently added tags but that is not a big deal.

All my files are WAV, btw.
Pages: [1]   Go Up