INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instruction Book  (Read 2305 times)

alanoutaoz

• Recent member
Instruction Book
« on: June 15, 2015, 05:35:14 pm »

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to implement JRiver Mac 20 on my less than intuitive Macbook air. If I understand correctly JRiver provides no instructions but assumes that we users will figure it out with the help of our other subscribers here in the forums which WE write.

What I think I've figured out so far... "I'm to busy crankin' code to tell every simpleton who can't figure it out how to set up his hardware so as not to impact our software.

Sounds like the customer support I get from Sth Korea's IRiver Company, maker of my hi-rez file Astell & Kern 240 player. Those guys rarely answer their CS phones and their instruction "pamphlet" covers way less that necessary. They think that because they have a cutting edge product that they can provide less than optimal customer service.  This is America and that kind of attitude will surely introduce their demise.

I can't figure out how to import my files on any/all my computers, much less rip my 3000 cd's to FLAC files upon importation.  Oh, & I don't want to have to use iTunes in any way shape or form. Hate the way it changes formats to mp crappy 3s. I'd just as soon remove it from the mac but Apple have made that virtually impossible.

Alanoutaoz... new & confused

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Where is the Instruction Book. This stuff is all over de place...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:42:11 pm »

best place for info is wiki, and forum.

http://wiki.jriver.com  On the left side of this page you will notice a search box, type your keyword/question and then hit search.

Link to import on wiki - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import_Files
Link to Rip - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Ripping

as far as not wanting to use itunes, you'll have to wait for others to reply, i dont use crapple.
I assume you would just open jriver on mac, and tell it to open all file types, and by doing so itunes would no longer open. But again I'm just guessing.
Maybe try Tools/Options/FileTypes and set jriver to open those file types you do not want itunes opening.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »

xtacbyme, I edited a few of your links.

Don't link to the ancient, deprecated Media Center "manual" page. If you want something like that, use the Category Index instead, or Getting Started.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Contents
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »

ty

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 06:50:31 pm »

Like my heading says, "Where's the book?"

From what I've read here in the forums, there is no longer a formal user manual for JRiver.  There used to be one written by an technical writer employed by JRiver, but apparently it was too difficult to try to maintain accuracy of the manual because the software changes so often.  So now, the Wiki is the closest thing to a reference manual.  It's got a lot of information in it.  You CERTAINLY have a point about it being difficult to know exactly where to start.  The links at Getting Started are pretty good, as long as you are patient.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started

JRIver is a REALLY big program that's very, very powerful.  As such, it's difficult to understand more than a little bit of it when you first start using it.  JRiver, in my humble opinion, is for Power Users.  People that expect more from a player and are willing to do the configuration and work necessary to *get* more out of it.  Maybe I'm wrong,, but that's my opinion.

and can't even figure out how to import my files on any/all my computers, much less rip my 3000 cd's to FLAC files upon importation.

If the links posted above about doing your import don't help, post back here with questions and we should be able to get you going.  Importing is really quite easy once you know where to configure it.  It's very automatic.  Ripping, I haven't done much of with JRiver, but the wiki should guide you.  I use a third party tool for ripping, but I've been admonished in the past for mentioning it, so I won't.

Oh, & I don't want to have to use iTunes in any way shape or form. Hate the way it changes formats to mp crappy 3s. I'd just as soon remove it from the mac but Apple have made that virtually impossible.

1.  I'm pretty sure you can remove itunes from your mac if you want to.  Just drag it to the trash.  But you really don't need to, as itunes won't really do anything unless you tell it to.  I'd suggest changing the default action for inserting a CD.  Go to System Preferences > CDs & DVDs > When you insert a music CD .  Change that to "ignore", so it won't fire up itunes any time you put an Audio CD into the drive.

2.  Itunes doesn't convert files to MP3.  If you import files, it might move them around (which is annoying as hell), but it doesn't convert them. It *does* use lossy AAC compression by default when ripping CDs.  That's configurable too.  But you don't need to, because you aren't ever going to use itunes again (we hope!).

3.  Once you start using JRiver to play music, you can forget itunes ever existed on your mac and be happy.  :)

If you have other questions, post here, or start a new thread on a specific topic.  People here are fairly helpful.  We should be able to at *least* get your existing music collection playing and get you started on ripping CDs.

Best of luck in the mean time.

Brian.

alanoutaoz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:15:45 pm »

Thank you for your patience and empathy.

Technology really has been a bit of a struggle but I'm determined to keep abreast particularly when it involves music. Factually, I moved from Australia to the USA back in the 60's to see Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix play, both of whom unfortunately passed from this planet as I island hopped across the Pacific. I did get to see Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, and many, many more here in Los Angeles. I've been extraordinarily lucky.    

I understand the need to keep fairly current in view of the ever-increasing speed of technological advance as they pertain to our hobby. We depend so much on the various facets of technology built into our ever increasingly complicated equipment. My Classe/B&W surround system sounds incredible (after almost a year of fiddling with the programming of the SSP-800  ?) with hi-rez files; fortunately I only need purchase 96/24 files and can forgo the more expensive 176/24 and 192/24 ones as my ears really can't discern a difference.... and, as for cables.... let's say that rather than hear audiophile friends admonish me I've spent more than is necessary for quality analog cabling. The ego is a troublesome devil to carry within.

I will attempt to learn how to become a mini "power user", I can see the attributes of JRiver over others, and look forward to the day when I'm more comfortable with it.  Now if I could just get the Mac Book Air out of the system... maybe get that new Decware headphone amp, ... and. ... and...

Thanks again for all your advice, you've given me a lot to get on with.

Cheers,
Alan

Heathwood99

• Recent member
Re: Instruction Book
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 03:37:09 am »

It looks like I am in a similar situation to you, Alan:

My music stored on MAC Book Air, renderer CA Stream Magic 6, JRemote control point.

I find that HI Res stuff placed in my /music folder is automatically picked up by MC Center. For example I downloaded an album from the Linn site (Mozart Opera Arias) and I can now see the album, both in MC Center and JRemott. Pretty impressive really, without doing very much.

Happy to field any questions.

;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up