INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scheduled Recording of TV Shows Not Working  (Read 7207 times)

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
Scheduled Recording of TV Shows Not Working
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:26:40 am »

Hello There
I have an issue currently whereby I schedule TV Shows to Record and they simply do not record at the start time.

When I restart the PC the recording starts off but it does not seem to fire off by itself.

It was working fine when I was just using Freeview but now I have added Freesat as well the problem seems to have started.

I do also use DVB Viewer to record shows however the programs recorded on that are on much earlier in the day so shouldn't cause a conflict of tuners.

System Details are:

Windows 7 Ultimate
Media Center 20.0.115
2 x DVBSky T9580 Cards (1 x DVBS2 and 1 x DVBT2 on each)
Intel Core i5-4460
8GB Ram

I tested this in the morning today and set "Raa Raa the Noisy Lion" to record on CBeebies HD. The time came where it should have recorded and it did not start recording - I therefore looked at the TV Status and it looked like this:

This lists the status of television devices and recording actions that are queued.  The text will also be placed on the clipboard.

=== Television Devices ===

Device 0: Professional DVB Digital TV DVBT2 C10CD0BFA773E7A0 (digital)
State: Idle

Device 1: Professional DVB Digital TV DVBC C10CD0C0A7F1F721 (digital)

Device 2: Professional DVB Digital TV DVBS2 5D27C792BE6354D6 (digital)

Device 3: Professional DVB Digital TV DVBT2 EBC75E5E017EAE68 (digital)

Device 4: Professional DVB Digital TV DVBC EBC75E5F01FCBDE9 (digital)

Device 5: Professional DVB Digital TV DVBS2 87E25531186E1B9E (digital)

=== Actions ===

Action 0: Raa Raa the Noisy Lion
Record: 1
Recording Rule ID: 846949407
Channel: CBeebies HD
Start Time: 16/06/2015 07:14
End Time: 16/06/2015 07:26
Description: Stop-frame animated series featuring Raa Raa and his friends, who solve very noisy mysteries in the Jingly Jangly Jungle. Crocky has got his foot stuck in a bucket, which makes lots of noise every time he walks. It's great fun making lots of noise at first, but soon Crocky tires of the bucket stuck on his foot. How can Raa Raa and the other jungle animals help Crocky remove the bucket?

As you can see from this it knows it should be recording something but does not record it. As you can see all Tuners are Idle as well. The time is correct on the PC.

I did not see this issue when I was just set up with Freeview but that may just be a co-incidence.

I'm sure it must be something to do with the tuners as DVBViewer is only set up to use DVB-S2 and the problem started when I added Satellite.

I have turned on logging in "Help > Logging" but where is the logfile?

I just need a little help diagnosing this problem.

Thanks

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Scheduled Recording of TV Shows Not Working
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 04:29:58 am »

I have found the log file. Is there something specific I should be looking for?

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:22:21 am »

I also seem to keep getting Program Errors - this is what is in the Windows Log:

Faulting application name: Media Center 20.exe, version: 20.0.115.0, time stamp: 0x556cc6aa
Faulting module name: MJTSFileWriter.ax, version: 20.0.115.0, time stamp: 0x556cc249
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00038a9d
Faulting process id: 0x1a38
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0a8174cfa8db2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 20\Media Center 20.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 20\TV\MJTSFileWriter.ax
Report Id: 62792799-140c-11e5-9720-d850e6524df3

Any ideas about that as well?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:30:23 am »

Do you have DVB Viewer and JRiver MC running at the same time? (I don't mean recordings at the same time, I mean the programs are both running.)

If so, DVB Viewer may not be allowing MC to take control of the tuners, even though it can see them and can see that they are idle. I would strongly suggest shutting down DVB Viewer and killing services or other components it runs, and then test MC again.

Then if MC works, and it didn't when DVB Viewer was running, you have a resource contention issue. That would probably explain the errors as well. Those errors look like MC time shifting file writing errors. If you have time shifting turned on in MC, it is trying to write time shifting files, but can't because of the same error preventing recordings.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:57:11 am »

Thanks - I'll give that a go.

I use DVBViewer as I can select the Audio Channel to record from. Some channels have Audio Description and sometimes I have to Rip these out with TSMuxer which is a pain.

If Media Center Records these channels fine then I will simply disable DVBViewer altogether.

Thanks for your help - I will test and revert back.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 07:17:45 am »

I have found the log file. Is there something specific I should be looking for?

Please email the log file to me.  yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:25:50 am »

Hi Yaobing
Sorry I re-installed then cleared the log file to test again.

I think I found the issue - but it was Windows Media Center rather than DVBViewer. I had recently played with WMC and it was set up to use the Satellite Feed.

Even though the Tuner was not in use I think WMC "hangs on" to it.

I removed WMC (In Windows Features) and have now successfully managed to record two shows without any crashes from both Freeview and Freesat.

I will see how it goes for a few days.

Thanks All

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:46:35 am »

Bah I spoke to soon but this time it crashed just as I clicked "Television" from the left hand menu. Nothing was recording or was scheduled to record.

Windows Event Log shows this:

Faulting application name: Media Center 20.exe, version: 20.0.115.0, time stamp: 0x556cc6aa
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18869, time stamp: 0x55636317
Fault offset: 0x0002e45b
Faulting process id: 0x1b58
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0a82d6dba9a0e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 20\Media Center 20.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 2a3a670b-142b-11e5-a4b4-d850e6524df3

I will send this log to you!

Perhaps I have some dodgy memory sfc /scannow didn't find anything.

Cheers

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 09:31:04 am »

Bah I spoke to soon but this time it crashed just as I clicked "Television" from the left hand menu. Nothing was recording or was scheduled to record.

Windows Event Log shows this:

The log you sent did not contain any crash info, nor anything related to TV.

Please take a look at this wiki article about grabbing log files.
Additional info: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52448.0

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 09:48:59 am »

Thanks - I looked up that ntdll.dll error and it could be related to almost anything.

What I will do is reset all TV Settings and Set this part up again and see how I go.

I have uninstalled anything else that might interfere now such as Shark Codecs.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 12:35:57 pm »

Go to Television view, and click "TV Options..." button, then click Setup... under General.  A popup will be shown asking you to clean up old settings.  Check all three checkboxes and click OK.  You will then be going through TV setup wizard.

With logging turned on, try repeating the crash.  If you still get the crash, start MC again and immediately go to Help / Logging..., and click "Report Problem...".

If we have some luck, I may be able to figure out from the log file what MC is doing when it crashes.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 02:21:16 am »

Thanks.

Since I had no crashes before when I was only using Freeview (DVB-T2) I have set up Television again (clearing all settings first as you have suggested). I set up both Freeview and Satellite signals however I am only recording shows on the Freeview channels as I saw no crashes before when only Freeview was set up.

No crashes yet but it's been one night. I think I need to test this for a week or so to ensure it's stable. It will then show it's something to do with the DVB-S2 tuner(s). I will then start recording using the Satellite Feed again and see if I can capture some logs to assist when/if it crashes. Perhaps it's a hardware compatibility problem.

I do recall on another HTPC when I was setting it up TV in Media Center with one of these two cards (DVBSky T9580) I saw some program crashes just while trying to configure the Satellite Feed when scanning for channels. This was before I even tried to record anything. Perhaps one of them is dodgy.

I'll keep you posted.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 03:56:18 pm »

Hi
Been working perfectly with just DVB-T2 running for a number of days.

Tried DVB-S2 again and immediate crashes - sent you the log again.

Was recording in TS format but changed this to JTV format and we seem to be stable with DVB-S2 again now.

Would like to switch back to TS format though if a solution can be found. TS format is fine for DVB-T2.

Similar issue to this thread I think:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?PHPSESSID=ui3vfjlq6ivo7sgmpvkdurvcc6&topic=92474.50

Cheers

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 12:46:49 pm »

The crash dump indicates that the crash happened at a place that I can not imagine crashing.  :(

I am totally puzzled.  What happens if you only use DVBS tuners and not the DVBT ones?

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 01:42:22 pm »

Hehe - I have quite a few things recording tonight so I'll not mess with it at the moment.

I'll play with this tomorrow and revert.

Is it worth clearing the log before I test?

Cheers

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 02:11:47 pm »

Hehe - I have quite a few things recording tonight so I'll not mess with it at the moment.

I'll play with this tomorrow and revert.

Is it worth clearing the log before I test?

Cheers

Yes.  You can reset the log or simply restart MC before you do testing.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 04:40:08 am »

Hi
1. Disable DVBViewer Recording Service
2. In Media Center > Help > Logging > Reset Log
3. Exit Media Center
4. Restart Media Center
5. Click Television > Click on DVB-S2 Channel BBC One HD > Click Record
6. TS is created and recording starts
7. A Program Crash Happens 10 Seconds Afterwards

Here is the Windows Event Log:

Faulting module name: MJTSFileWriter.ax, version: 20.0.115.0, time stamp: 0x556cc249
Fault offset: 0x00038a9d
Faulting process id: 0x3704
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0afecd3fc63ac
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 20\TV\MJTSFileWriter.ax
Report Id: 3966ce37-1be0-11e5-a6d4-d850e6524df3

I have sent you the Logfile crash1.zip.

8. Restart Media Center and Remove the Recording from the "To Be Recorded" list under "Television"
9. Tools > Options > Recording > Change Format from TS to JTV
10. Delete Previously Failed Recording from JRiver Recording Folder
11. Re-Enable Recording for the Same Program. Program Records Fine without Crashing.

Since I am always trying to record HD Channels I thought it might be something to do with the Audio Stream or something so I did the following:

12. Tools > Options > Recording > Change Format from JTV back to TS
13. Start Recording a Non-HD DVB-S2 channel BBC One NI.
14. Saw that Media Center had created a Sub Folder with jtv files in it so I assumed I was still recording in JTV so restarted media center.
15. Repeat step 14 so I went to cancel the recording and got another crash.

Faulting module name: Media Center 20.exe, version: 20.0.115.0, time stamp: 0x556cc6aa
Fault offset: 0x0006e419
Faulting process id: 0x2780
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0afef811ef04d
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 20\Media Center 20.exe
Report Id: d8751214-1be2-11e5-a6d4-d850e6524df3

I have sent you the Logfile crash2.zip.

16. Realised that it was already recording in TS format but the Media Center timeshift folder had thrown me off. The change in Format was already working d'oh.
17. Tried to Record Non-HD DVB-S channel BBC One NI.
18. After no crashes after about 15 minutes I got cocky and wanted to start recording a Second Standard Def Channel.
Just clicking through the channels caused another crash.

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18869, time stamp: 0x55636317
Fault offset: 0x0002e3fe
Faulting process id: 0x3038
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0afefb4987292
Report Id: 782ee35d-1be5-11e5-a6d4-d850e6524df3

I have sent you the Logfile crash3.zip.

After the third crash - whenever I opn Media Center; since the program is still recording it crashes repeatadly - just while clicking on Television Menu etc.

If I manage to get into the "To Be Recorded" section and cancel the DVB-S2 recording it once again becomes stable.

Since it worked for longer on a Standard Def recording (while I left it alone) perhaps the XML will help?

XML for HD Channel in JTV Format (Recorded in Step 11):

<MPL Version="2.0" Title="JRSidecar">
<Item>
<Field Name="Filename">E:\JRiver-RecordedTV\Crimewatch Roadshow 2015-06-26\Crimewatch Roadshow 2015-06-26.jtv</Field>
<Field Name="Compression">jtv video (video: h264, audio: ac3)</Field>
<Field Name="Bitrate">5117</Field>
<Field Name="Bit Depth">16</Field>
<Field Name="Date Recorded">42181.3854166666642414</Field>
<Field Name="Genre">Current Affairs</Field>
<Field Name="Season">2015</Field>
<Field Name="Aspect Ratio">16:9</Field>
<Field Name="FPS">25</Field>
<Field Name="Artist">BBC One HD</Field>
<Field Name="Stack Top">-1</Field>
<Field Name="Channels">6</Field>
<Field Name="Description">Crimewatch Roadshow helps police across the country tackle everyday crime. Michelle Ackerley tries out a driving simulator which allows her to skid on ice and snow in midsummer.</Field>
<Field Name="Keywords">Current Affairs; Documentary; Series</Field>
<Field Name="Stack View">0</Field>
<Field Name="Media Sub Type">TV Show</Field>
<Field Name="Playback Info">(1:2)(12:DTVProgramID)(4:6941)(11:AspectRatio)(30:(1:4)(1:0)(1:0)(1:0)(1:1)(1:0))</Field>
<Field Name="TV Channel">215788</Field>
<Field Name="Date">42181</Field>
<Field Name="Recording Rule ID">336474720</Field>
<Field Name="Name">Crimewatch Roadshow</Field>
<Field Name="Sample Rate">48000</Field>
<Field Name="Duration">439</Field>
</Item>
</MPL>

XML for Non-HD Channel in TS Format (Recorded in Step 17):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<MPL Version="2.0" Title="JRSidecar">
<Item>
<Field Name="Filename">E:\JRiver-RecordedTV\Homes Under the Hammer 2015-06-26.ts</Field>
<Field Name="Compression">ts video (video: mpeg2, audio: mp2)</Field>
<Field Name="Bitrate">7356</Field>
<Field Name="Bit Depth">16</Field>
<Field Name="Rerun">1</Field>
<Field Name="Date Recorded">42181.4166666666642414</Field>
<Field Name="Genre">Other</Field>
<Field Name="FPS">25</Field>
<Field Name="Artist">BBC One NI</Field>
<Field Name="Stack Top">-1</Field>
<Field Name="Channels">2</Field>
<Field Name="Description">Martin Roberts and Lucy Alexander visit a plot of land in Cornwall, a two-bedroom flat in London and a mixed-use property in Nottinghamshire. They find out who bought them and what was paid when the properties went under the hammer.</Field>
<Field Name="Keywords">Interests; Other; Series</Field>
<Field Name="Stack View">0</Field>
<Field Name="Media Sub Type">TV Show</Field>
<Field Name="Playback Info">(1:2)(12:DTVProgramID)(5:10361)(11:AspectRatio)(30:(1:4)(1:0)(1:0)(1:0)(1:1)(1:0))</Field>
<Field Name="TV Channel">215777</Field>
<Field Name="Recording Rule ID">508533475</Field>
<Field Name="Name">Homes Under the Hammer</Field>
<Field Name="Sample Rate">48000</Field>
<Field Name="Duration">221</Field>
</Item>
</MPL>

Sorry about the wall of text but hopefully it will help you get to the bottom of it.

I have a workaround anyway where I record all DVB-S2 Programs on DVBViewer and Just Record DVB-T2 programs in Media Center.

DVB-T2 has been completely stable for almost 2 weeks now.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 08:54:26 am »

I just updated the drivers for my card form Version 1.9.528.0 (28/05/2015) to 1.9.611.0 (11/06/2015).

I managed to record something in HD via DVB-S2!

We'll see how stable it is though as it's only the one recording that I have tested with...

The notes for the driver say "Fix a CI compatible bug." - not much information really.

I'll keep testing as well as I suppose even if this is the cause it shouldn't crash the software.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 09:18:39 am »

It was recording quite happily but as soon as I asked it to record something immediately after the program that was recording (same channel) it crashed again.

Fault offset: 0x0002e3fe
Faulting process id: 0x18a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0b002a11540ba
Report Id: a392702d-1c0d-11e5-ad61-d850e6524df3
Pages: [1]   Go Up