INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v10 - Different Media Types  (Read 1155 times)

nila

v10 - Different Media Types
« on: September 24, 2003, 01:17:55 am »

You guys always suddenly just 'appear' with the next version out of the blue and totally undexpectedly so I thought I'd just post it now as I have no idea when you plan to start on the next version.

For the next version could we please see TRUE ability to deal with seperate media types - right now the db can handle them but the layout is not at all designed to cope with managing these properly.

A few areas that really could do with being properly sorted to deal with different media types.

Also, when I say media types I dont mean just in a basic rudementary manner of: Image, Video, Audio as this is far too basic for proper powerful management.

For audio for instance there can be: music or lectures - music the system is set out perfectly for - for lectures, although the 'music' fields can be used - it would be far nicer to be able to create fields specific to lectures - ie: Lecturer, Location, Guest Speaker.

For Video we could have:  TV Series, Films, Home Video, Music Video.
TV Series we would want: Series Name, Series Number, Episode, Episode Description
Home Video we want: People in Video, Event, Date, Location
etc. etc.

We therefore need to be able to define what we consider 'media types' ourselves

• Tag Info - right now there is no true seperation between media types here in our ability to view specific groups of tags - We need to be able to define our own groups for tag info.

• For photo's etc taken with digital cameras they have a LOT of extra information stored inside the photo - it'd be GREAT if MC could as it imports files, if it finds information stored in them, present us with a list of field names found and ask if we want to create those field names and fill in the data - MC would be a LOT more powerful and useful then for being a power tool for digital images.

• 'Location' bar right now is just done for the whole library - this means we cant customise it to have tools relative to the type of media we are dealing with - having 'rotate', 'resize' tools on a toolbar when I am in an audio view is of no use, we need to be able to set this per view scheme/media type.

• Playing Now - This just has one set of columns that display no matter what type of media we send to it. If I'm playing music that's fine - when I suddenly have a bunch of images in there for instance - unless I have used all the 'standard' field names for my image data - the fields that are there are useless. It shows me no information about my images. Same when I sent a TV Series there to be lined up - again it displays none of the field info.

• Track Info templates - these are designed for Audio and work great. If we could set up MC to use seperate ones for images though it would mean we could go through our pictures and have all the relivant data from the image showing up with the image - we could create fields for: People in the Picture, Location of the Picture, Event, etc. - The picture slide shows would then be FAR more informative.

• Support for Picture CD's so that the burning can cope with different media types -VCD's would be nice too but are probably a LOT more work to do.

• Action window should also change to reflect the media type we are on

• MRU per media type would be great as we dont want to send images to the same place we send audio files to etc.

• right click - column options - it has to reset for 'audio', 'video', 'image' - that's a pretty broad scope of resetting and is one of the few places MC actually seems to differentiate between types - again though it would just globally effect ALL our types for say video.

• We have an option to 'save this view' - if we could give these 'saves' a name then it would mean we could right click in playing now and just load up any other view scheme there to match what we had qued there now.

• Not to do with media types - but hairstyle also needs to have a seperately defined track info page - using the standard one in a space 1/4 of the size just makes no sense and does not work.

Just a few things to think about for v10 whenever you start it.

v9.1 turned out great and it's nice to see you spending some time just making it rock solid and ironing out all the little bugs. Good Job on it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up