INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Collation of letters with accents (Mac version needs update)  (Read 1780 times)

aysil

• Recent member

Names starting with letters with accents, like É (eg Édith Piaf) go to the end of all items (after the letter z) in Mac version of MC. Édith Piaf is listed at the end of all artists in the alphabetical order, for example.

Afaik, in English, modified letters (such as those with diacritics) are treated the same as the base letter for alphabetical ordering purposes, so Édith Piaf should have been listed among other artists starting with E, irrespective of the accent (before Eduardo Delgado). It would be the same in French.

JRiverMC Windows version seems to have felt safer by treating all modified letters with diacritics as separate letters and collating them immediately after their unaccented counterparts. (É after E, Ü after U etc.) As a result Édith Piaf goes to the end of all artists starting with E, and placed just before F. This may be because there are different extra letters in different languages and thereby different conventions for alphabetical order.

I think this treatment of modified letters by the Windows version of MC is fine. However, listing all modified letters at the very end of the alphabet, like the Mac version of MC, is not acceptable. I think Mac and Windows versions of JRiverMC should be consistent, at least, and this issue should be corrected in a future update of Mac version.

tortuga_Bob

• Recent member
Re: Collation of letters with accents
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 05:38:36 pm »

I absolutely agree. This has been driving me crazy searching for composers that have modified characters in their names, e.g., Dvorak, Dvořák. A search for either one should provide the exact same hit list, currently it does not.

mike.s

• Recent member
Re: Collation of letters with accents (needs update)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 01:27:35 pm »

OMG yes! This is KILLING me when trying to deal with my favorite Russians and Germans!

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Collation of letters with accents (Mac version needs update)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:06:47 am »

Sorting has been fixed and will be in the next build.  Thanks for the report!
Adam Thompson, JRiver

tortuga_Bob

• Recent member
Re: Collation of letters with accents (Mac version needs update)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:13:26 am »

Sorting has been fixed and will be in the next build.  Thanks for the report!

Using version 20.124. Still have problems searching with special character modifications. Dvorak and Dvořák are not equivalent when you get to the "a." In other words, the "a" and "á" are not seen as the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up