INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote will not connect to MC20  (Read 5520 times)

greg9ball

• Recent member
JRemote will not connect to MC20
« on: June 22, 2015, 03:03:20 pm »

JRemote on Ipad2 - Using Media Center 20

JRemote worked with Media Center 19.  I ended up uninstalling JRemote and purchasing the newest version.  That did not solve the problem.  I am not able to connect using Access Key or IP address.  I tried turning off the Firewall to see if that helps, but it did not.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Greg

JohnK

• Recent member
Re: JRemote will not connect to MC20
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 04:33:26 am »

My experience is that JRemote is very stable on older iPod Touch but not reliable with Gen 1 iPad mini.

I can connect with the iPad, but JRemote will often lose its connection while browsing albums and then refuse to re-connect. At this time the old iPod Touch can connect perfectly, so that seems to rule out problems with the computer or JRiver MC 20.  There seems to be a bug in JRemote that if it loses connection with the IP address or Access Key, it won't re-connect again. Most often I have to:

1. Delete the JRemote server info (IP address or Access Key) and completely close JRemote
2. Clear iPad memory with a 3rd party app
3. Start JRemote again and add server IP address etc.

This usually works, but sometimes JRemote needs to be deleted, iPad needs to be completely shut down and re-started then JRemote re-installed.

My working theory is that newest iOS for iPad does not always completely free up memory even when apps are properly closed. (JRemote was fine with earlier iOS) I monitor iPad memory with an app Smart Memory Pro and use it to clear memory when it shows less than 100 MB free. This seems to keep JRemote working a bit longer but JRemote is not yet a stable app for iPad.

Heathwood99

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:07:27 am »

I have JRemote on an IPad Mini 2 and I have to say that the connection is pretty stable.

I even think that recent updates to MC20 (Mac version) have improved the connectivity somewhat.

:)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:15:06 am »

Try powering everything off and back on.

Try generating a new Access Key by turning Media Network off and back on.

Make sure you don't have Media Server running from MC19, but that it is running in MC20.

The wiki topic called Network Access might also be useful.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 05:45:31 am »

Mac or Windows?

Make sure you're using the most recent build.

Damuffin

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 12:03:57 pm »

I had this same issue, after clicking on the access key and reseting it 4 times I was able to connect. It might have been an issue with the lower case j.

edkoz

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 11:42:21 am »

Still leaning and I like jriver BUT  Purchased the ipad app and found that I needed to update my ipad software to something later than 5.1 (org ipad) so, I purchased a new ipad 2 and downloaded the jriver ipad sw. worked fine for a few hours but now i cannot connect to jriver.  Very frustrating and expensive (can not use my new ipad for jriver)
Ed

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 12:50:50 pm »

Try powering everything down and back up.  Including the network.

edkoz

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 01:06:48 pm »

I feel at this point it is useless using the iPad. If you have to use a work around only to have to continue mess to around with it every time it lost connectivity it is easier to just use the computer. Just VERY, VERY disappointing
Ed

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 04:30:45 pm »

^ You're using older hardware.  I have been advised in the past to use an ipad 3 or higher for good performance with JRemote.

You haven't described your problems at all, so we don't know what's going on.  It could be something simple.  It's hard to say without any information.

Brian.

DJLegba

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 04:37:56 pm »

JRemote on my iPad 2 works fine.

edkoz

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 07:44:42 pm »

^ You're using older hardware.  I have been advised in the past to use an ipad 3 or higher for good performance with JRemote.

You haven't described your problems at all, so we don't know what's going on.  It could be something simple.  It's hard to say without any information.

Brian.
(issue) The ipad worked as expected-could select music to play, showed images of audio CDs as an example. The day after the jriver app was loaded on my ipad 2 i could not see any of the CDs that were loaded and I could not make any selections. Also the ipad could not be connected to the computer even though it showed it had recognized the even when I tried to wake it up. The connection summary indicated that it timed out. That is my problem.
Thanks Ed

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 08:27:19 pm »

Are you describing two different problems with two different tablets?  It's hard to follow what you've said.

Have you tried rebooting the ipad(s) and restarting MC?

Brian.

edkoz

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 09:05:00 pm »

Are you describing two different problems with two different tablets?  It's hard to follow what you've said.

Have you tried rebooting the ipad(s) and restarting MC?

Brian.
1. I am talking about (1) tablet
2. All functionality of the tablet(ipad) with regard to jriver no longer worked
3. I have restarted MC with no change in tablet (ipad2) functionality
Hope this helps
Ed

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 09:12:16 pm »

So, your ipad2 was able to connect, but can't connect any more?  If it times out, that normally means one of a few things:  A firewall on the computer is blocking access.  The ipad isn't actually connected to the network.  Or that the computer and the ipad are on two different networks.  Some wireless routers have guest networks and "home" networks.  If your ipad is on the guest network and the computer is on the "home" network, they won't be able to communicate.

It's worth rebooting the ipad if you haven't already.  If that doesn't work, I would try surfing the web from the ipad.  Then I'd double check the access key on the MC machine and the ipad.  Or just use the IP address of the MC machine on the ipad, instead of the access key.

Maybe some of that will get you started in the right direction.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up